• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

On my 01 Dodge I had an original lift pump , which I replaced with a Fass pump, this means there is no in-tank fuel pump, correct? :rolleyes: The reason Im asking is some people are sayingIi have one, but it cant be with having a lift pump. Thanks guys!!

• Owner

If you had the original Carter lift pump mounted on the side of the engine and you replaced it with the current pump, you do not have the intank pump.

Exactly, if the carter was replaced with a FASS then you have no in-tank.

Right on the money... If there was a intank pump there would be a aluminum block in place of the old carter pump on the block.
  • Like 1

So I have an aluminum block in place of my original Carter lift pump, meaning I have an intank pump pump. I'm going to get an Airdog pump and Im wondering what i have to do different on the install from the original carter pump to the intank pump?

• Owner

I suspect you will either have to modify the "fuel tank basket" or the easier route albeit more expensive route would be to replace it with a new fuel tank basket.

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/DrawStraw-V-HiFlow-p/jlfmds.htm

Becareful of the sender...

NOTE: Although these will fit 94-98 trucks the fuel level gauge may not read accurately so be aware if purchasing for that application

I don't think you will have to modify anything but put in a drawstraw v. I got my drawstraw for my Raptor 150 from Vulcan and they were great. If your getting and Airdog and not a Raptor, you have return lines. But for either one you will need a drawstraw and either drop the tank to get to the fuel module or lift the bed.

For whatever reason I don't have 1/4 issues with my drawstraw V. Now that being said I have heard more 1/4 issues about the Drawstraw I's. At the moment, I am a needel width BELOW the 1/8 mark. I need fuel i know, but it is experiment to see how far I can get it down so far so good. I have about less than a needle width to the red. :lol:

Since 1/4 tank issues aren't acceptable for me, I would go with a new canister over a draw-straw.

the draw straw intimated me also. i didn't like the idea of putting a hole in a good tank and talk of "running out of fuel" at 1/4. the airdog 150 included a draw straw. i figured it might void the lifetime warranty if i didn't install to their instructions, so i went with it. i have talked to a few other airdog owner who do not have that problem(mopar1973man included). i took his advise and i never have had a problem. i usually get fuel when the light comes on, but have been on the E mark twice, since install of my straw.(somehow even then it only took 30.4 gallons til it was leaking out the vent:lmao2:) my only regret is not upgrading the draw straw 1 to the the draw straw 5...then i wouldn't have cut the filler neck hose

I also have the Vulcan Drawstraw V and AD100 with no 1/4 tank issues, I have drove the truck for 50 miles after hitting the empty line on the fuel gauge as a test to see how far it would go :cookoo:, I had 5 gallons and tools with me at the time.

I did the draw straw 1 in my sending unit and have been very happy with it. It is a little extra work, but I like that it is all routed through the original sending unit. Chris

Like today I was down to 1/8 and just about tripped the light on... I've got the old school draw straw but I can run till the empty mark without problems... Just can't launch hard and quick...

I did the draw straw 1 in my sending unit and have been very happy with it. It is a little extra work, but I like that it is all routed through the original sending unit. Chris

I modified my fuel basket with the same drawstraw and it works well but the fuel sending unit is all goobered up. I discovered this fact when my truck died in the midle of nowhere with about a 1/3 of a tank of fuel still showing on the gauge. My gauge is accurate to just below a half tank. I no longer run my fuel tank below a half tank. I usually fill up before a half tank.