• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

I'm curious.... what oil are you using and how many miles on your engine? :popcorn:

And I need more coffee 

2 hours ago, trreed said:

@Dieselfuture, I guess I missed why you didn’t go for OEM Cummins seals for the VP head? Can you elaborate on that?

Because when I had the head at machine shop they didn't asked me if I wanted to machine it for newer tophat stile seals, @Marcus2000monster it's $80 extra to do so. Well worth it if you have the head off. So they used seals that came in my Cummins hg set, which blew off and got destroyed by spring retainers. So instead of taking head off again I found the closest match of seals that happened to be Ford. And yes @Marcus2000monster they need out side diameter shaved down, inside of rubber just a bit I have pictures and size of drill bit in my thread, also going in reverse on the drill and not all the way up, and I took little coil springs off the seals so there isn't as much tension on valve. 

Edit 

@trreed I didn't answer your question directly. But maybe you got what I'm saying. 

Originally last year I had an oil Leak from hg, so when I took the head to the shop they did basic rebuild with new guide inserts, valve job, ect. And I had head gasket set that I got from geno's, so I dropped valve seals that came with it off to the shop, which were original Cummins seals. I didn't know about top hats at the time, never ran in to it before. And I didn't have any problems burning oil or smoking from bad seals, the whole reason for taking head off is oil leak. So apparently my shop didn't know any better or didn't think I'll have a problem and used the seals I gave them. Well not even a year later, half of exhaust seals popped up, and that's where I came up with Ford seals for now, and hopefully ever :lmao:and I did this twice as later some intake seals also popped. I was going to use Ford seals on all valves in the beginning to decided to only put them on exhaust side as intakes were fine, well not long after intakes popped too. I want to say it's because of exhaust break pressure. Just can't have shop and then me doing seals and having same results. So we'll see how @Mopar1973Man head holds up, if his will be fine then there is something wrong on my end. I don't think it's boost pressure, I don't go pass 45psi, but like mentioned by other member he hit 70psi of back pressure from using EB.

Edited by Dieselfuture

• Staff
9 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Rotella T6 and 133k

Eee Gads thats too low a miles to have problems, Never heard of such a thing. Do any you guys think its because they legislated us out of the good ol'e CI-4oils? I've got 200 k on the 01 and 99k on the 02 and neither smoke it up like out in the parking lot in high school.

I'm still using the CI-4 oil which may have something to do with it. :shrug:

Edited by JAG1

4 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Eee Gads thats too low a miles to have problems, Never heard of such a thing. Do any you guys think its because they legislated us out of the good ol'e CI-4oils? I've got 200 k on the 01 and 99k on the 02 and neither smoke it up like out in the parking lot in high school.

I'm still on the CI-4 by the way.

Myself along with my coworker believe it’s not valve stems as well. We are thinking injectors somewhere. Crushes o rings etc. gotta do a reinstall on them and see what happens. Cheap stuff gonna get checked first.

Edited by JAG1