• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So if your running a junky edge comp or juice and want just a little more fun, this is what smoke out put you can expect with a 90hp 7x.0085 VCO injector from DAP. Clean burning and sensible injector for a well balanced rig. Pop pressure on this truck is 300bar. 

Truck setup: 99 model year, fass 95, edge juice (same program as comp), 4” exhaust, HX35W, garbage jasper trans, triple disc, 4.10 gear.

this specific truck doesn’t have the pump tap installed due to a new VP44 installed so this is just stock, level 1/sub 1 and level 2/sub 1 for low smoke and smooth acceleration to keep traction under control. With levels 3-4-5-6 with the pump tap of course expect smoke and hard torque and acceleration. This truck is a fleet tow rig and they don’t run the pump tap because employees drive the truck and they don’t want it hotrodded but wanted a little more pull without the pump tap being installed.

stock:

level 1/sub 1: 

level 2/sub 1:

Good setup for daily drivers and tow rigs. You can hit 1300-1350* on wide open runs on all levels so make sure you have a good set of gauges (not glow shi(f)t, there garbage, slow and your gonna melt a piston)... would work well with S03 users also. Levels 1-4 or if you use REVO settings (actual level is irrelevant then). 

Edited by Tittle Diesel Performance
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Owner

Problem is Edge Juice, Edge Comp and Edge EZ are built around stock injectors the biggest you can go without huge smoke is a +50HP injector. I Ran Edge Comp for years and tried stock injectors, RV275 and +50HP whih the +50HP injectors where getting rather smokey and there wasn't a setting that would handle that smoke. 

Now if you drop the Edge product and switched over to Quadzilla you can set your lead in fuel at BELOW stock fuel levels which will remove that smoke. I'm running +75 HP injectors now and smoke free. 

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

You can even use a Android stereo like some other people have. 

Now thats an idea! I've been tossing around the idea of putting a couple real gauges in the stock radio location and building a nice compact cupholder with a spot for a double din radio down where the stock cupholder folds down. I'll have to check into that for sure.

• Owner

That's the beauty of Quadzilla you are not limited to the screen size. It can be as big or small as you want to have. Edge Juice and Smarty Touch are both limited to there own screen design that's it.

Personally, I love the idea of going headless... This way there is no tuner display. Then most people think the truck is totally stock. I've got the a-pillar gauges but that all. Small tires and no tuner on the dash. Thieves just would rather pass my truck up. Not worth it. Under the plain wrapper is a beast but no one will ever know it. :wink:

Thats a good point especially in bad areas Im always paranoid someone is gonna pick me to mess with. I could still use my edge mount for my phone mount the way i've got it so when im driving the truck i could use that as my gauges as well and when im not driving it i just have a phone mount. guess its time to start saving up

My paranoia probably stems from the fact my edge is mounted to my a pillar. I modified a magnetic phone mount to hold it there and stuck the magnet to the edge display and ran the cables up through my dash. It's an awesome spot for it but puts it in plain sight and when going to Phoenix I get pretty paranoid about someone seeing it.

• Owner

Quadzilla Tuner there...DSCF4483.JPG

Quadzilla is now gone... If I really want to secure the truck just set the Quadzilla to level 1 which is set for 15% fuel and it barely rolls at 25 MPH at WOT. Go ahead steal my truck you are not going to get away fast that's for sure. Not knowing the Quadzilla is there how would they know its choked to 15% fuel too. Thief is not going to mess around opening the hood to figure it out they will just ditch the truck. DSCF4484.JPG

22 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Problem is Edge Juice, Edge Comp and Edge EZ are built around stock injectors the biggest you can go without huge smoke is a +50HP injector. I Ran Edge Comp for years and tried stock injectors, RV275 and +50HP whih the +50HP injectors where getting rather smokey and there wasn't a setting that would handle that smoke. 

Now if you drop the Edge product and switched over to Quadzilla you can set your lead in fuel at BELOW stock fuel levels which will remove that smoke. I'm running +75 HP injectors now and smoke free. 

Oh I know but those with edge tuners who don’t make the switch the a real tuner can run this setup and get away with it decently clean power without the tap. Obviously the tap will smoke good, you also have a 02 so you probably had smoke with 50’s it’s different mapping and a HO pump (assuming you have one). With this specific truck it’s a new SO pump, 90hp and untapped edge for a company plow/tow rig. Since the tap would void the pump warranty and it needed injectors I swapped some 90’s in. I was trying for 75’s but DAP didn’t have any on hand. It works though. Truck feels great, very peppy and not super dirty. Granted with a manual trans having more load down in the low rpm band you’d probably smoke more but this auto has a 1700 flash stall converter so the HX is lit by the time load calculation comes up and it cleans up pretty good. Owner loves it!

stock nozzle had a Piece of metal/aluminum get in the end of the nozzle and it melted plugging 2 of the 7 orfaces. It always ran weird for years and finally got to go into the injectors that have never been removed since new. Haven’t seen that as a reason it was firing weird before but with the failed 220k VP that came off it wouldn’t surprise me...now if I can just get that 53 block stitched ?

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Quadzilla Tuner there...DSCF4483.JPG

Quadzilla is now gone... If I really want to secure the truck just set the Quadzilla to level 1 which is set for 15% fuel and it barely rolls at 25 MPH at WOT. Go ahead steal my truck you are not going to get away fast that's for sure. Not knowing the Quadzilla is there how would they know its choked to 15% fuel too. Thief is not going to mess around opening the hood to figure it out they will just ditch the truck. DSCF4484.JPG

Personally I wouldn’t want to place it there since you have to look down at it fully removing your road vision but that’s just me. I’ve got a holder on the dash and just turn the dedicated device on when I tow otherwise stays on timing only or tow settings with backdown enabled if something is wrong and I don’t catch it. Towing of course I keep it on for mountain grades. Gonna run it threw the mountains this weekend with the HX so it’s data log time!

20 hours ago, 2000Ram2500 said:

Thats a good point especially in bad areas Im always paranoid someone is gonna pick me to mess with. I could still use my edge mount for my phone mount the way i've got it so when im driving the truck i could use that as my gauges as well and when im not driving it i just have a phone mount. guess its time to start saving up

Can you fill out your signature so we can see what you have. I’m nosy?

6 hours ago, Tittle Diesel Performance said:

Can you fill out your signature so we can see what you have. I’m nosy?

Fine........ lol ive been neglecting that for too long anyways

@Mopar1973Man that is a nice simple setup. Im sold on the quadzilla now that i've looked into it and am kinda gaining an understanding of how this all works. Now i just need to find the cash. I could sell the edge to cover some but its still got a decent price tag. And i gotta convince the boss.. i mean wife

• Owner
46 minutes ago, 2000Ram2500 said:

Fine........ lol ive been neglecting that for too long anyways

@Mopar1973Man that is a nice simple setup. Im sold on the quadzilla now that i've looked into it and am kinda gaining an understanding of how this all works. Now i just need to find the cash. I could sell the edge to cover some but its still got a decent price tag. And i gotta convince the boss.. i mean wife

Simple sell the Edge Juice for $500 which is 50% of the new price tag and would be a fair price. Now the Quadzilla is $674. You shouldn't have much trouble affording the Quadzilla. Yank that Edge juice out and put an ad in the classified area here and get it sold!

https://www.dieselautopower.com/quadzilla-power-1998-5-2000-dodge-5-9l-cummins-adrenaline-with-iquadbt

https://edgeproducts.com/shop/98-5-00-dodge-5-9l-cummins-juice-w-attitude-cts2

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I got this Edge secondhand from a coworker for $300. Technically third-hand because it was in his truck when he bought it. I didnt have the map adapter so i made one. Prowireusa on ebay sells weatherpack connectors for cheap he's got a website too but shipping is pricey unless you order several things. I'll be yanking it out one of these days here.

Im sure i wont regret the quad. Even though it will be more money for me to go that route simply because i bought the edge used i know i'll be happier and for the functionality you get out of it you really cant beat it. I dont know of any other tuners that will allow you to tune it how you want it unless you go standalone and im not doing that on the truck, i'll leave the standalone for the buggy project.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yeah, Edge products are proud of the Edge Juice with Attitude CTS.

What a lot of people don’t realize is the mapping of both is the same your just getting a data screen with the CS/CTS and a digital adjustment. The comp does the same thing and the hot/drag comp is just level 6 unlocked which has a hair more microseconds of wire tap. If I remember right level 5 is 1400MS and 6 is 1600. Quad you can run up to 2200 but most trucks are happy at 1800 so even out of the box the quadzilla V1 even has more potential then edge. Obviously tunability is a big thing too.

1 hour ago, 2000Ram2500 said:

I got this Edge secondhand from a coworker for $300. Technically third-hand because it was in his truck when he bought it. I didnt have the map adapter so i made one. Prowireusa on ebay sells weatherpack connectors for cheap he's got a website too but shipping is pricey unless you order several things. I'll be yanking it out one of these days here.

Im sure i wont regret the quad. Even though it will be more money for me to go that route simply because i bought the edge used i know i'll be happier and for the functionality you get out of it you really cant beat it. I dont know of any other tuners that will allow you to tune it how you want it unless you go standalone and im not doing that on the truck, i'll leave the standalone for the buggy project.

Gotta be careful of the map adaptors on some boxes, some use different maps for 01 and 02 trucks since the map sensor isn’t strictly boost like 98-00 trucks which can make them run strangely. I had a guy with a 99 buy a 02 quadzilla and no mater what you did in fuel settings it ran full fuel settings all the time. Started at 30psi via ECM reading but the quad registered like 5 I think at idle. Could have been a truck wiring issue I’m not 100% It was a long time and many customers ago but it didn’t work well at all. Tons of smoke and sensitive throttle issues. Ended up getting a new one for a 99 and it worked fine. The 02 box was used and he sold it to a guy with an 02 and it worked great from then on. Not all trucks are created equal. I’ve had similar things happen with edge where a comp drives/runs crappy on one 00 truck and the next 00 truck it’s crisp, smooth and powerful. 

Oh oh and you should really either swap to 4.10 gears or take the lift/level out and drop tire sizes. 3.54 and 35’s with a auto is really hard on the trans, you develop a lot of heat and excess load when driving so you consume more fuel and the rotating mass and final gear factors in to slowing the truck down....a lot. 32’s vs 35’s on a customer truck we dropped .8 of a second off the 1/4 just changing sizes in the parking lot. Makes a big difference

Edited by Tittle Diesel Performance

14 hours ago, Tittle Diesel Performance said:

Oh oh and you should really either swap to 4.10 gears or take the lift/level out and drop tire sizes. 3.54 and 35’s with a auto is really hard on the trans, you develop a lot of heat and excess load when driving so you consume more fuel and the rotating mass and final gear factors in to slowing the truck down....a lot.

Gears are definitely on the top of my list somewhere. I hate having 3.55s. Especially for hauling or towing. I had to tow my fully loaded enclosed from CA to home here and what a haul. I stopped at a scale and it weighed in at 18k pounds combined truck and trailer. I couldnt pull a slight grade without temps climbing fast. The two steep grades i had to go over were rough having to stop constantly to keep from blowing something up. Honestly 4.10s are too low for me I do alot of long highway drives so I need to find a happy medium I was thinking 3.73s or 3.9(idk)s something in that range. But we've got alot going on in life so unfortunately i have to wait before i do that..