• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2nd gen from Texas gulf coast

Bullet

Hello everyone...this forum is great!  Lots of good info and very diesel intelligent people on here.

I have done a lot of mods to my regular cab 2nd gen 4x4...my craziest mod was a shortbed conversion.  I bought a half ton donor truck and cut both trucks in half.  Moved to back of the half ton over to mine and welded her up.  I also used the half ton rear springs...had to cut off and weld new perches onto my axle to accept the 2.5" wide half ton springs.  Also used the half ton gas tank converted over to diesel.  Cut my driveshaft down along with all brake lines and fuel lines...and supported the frame welds with a 3/8" diamond shaped plate welded across both halves.  Took me 2 weeks to complete but it came out perfect. 

Also installed long control arms up front with 8" lift coil springs.  Then body lifted it 3" which makes it very easy to work on with the extra space between the valve cover and the firewall.  It also has twin turbos 62 over 75, a Smarty, a TST PM3 with comp software, a fully built Goerend auto with billet input & intermediate shafts & a triple disc torque converter, headstuds, full gauges, a fuel boss pump, and a 5" stainless exhaust. 

I have done all the work myself with the help of forums like this.  Very happy to be here! 

That was easy...I had so much trouble with the avatar but simple here.  Thanks for the help!  These pics cover the shortbed conversion... 

20140911_173921.jpg

20140911_173905.jpg

20140917_184828.jpg

20140916_174135.jpg

20140923_123425.jpg

20140926_115251.jpg

20141010_103737.jpg

Here it is after the big lift, wheels and tires.  The last pic is my other Dodge.  It has the least horsepower of the two...lol! 

20180820_190801.jpg

20180820_190907.jpg

20180820_190827.jpg

20160512_190803.jpg

Might want to spruce up on the tuning you have as well.  The Smarty does some pretty funky things for timing.  there is a lot to be gained with better timing.

forget the trucks lets see more of that manly viper.  

such a cool car.

Edited by Me78569

I love Texas. If you tried a project like that in a neighborhood setting around here the stack of permits required would be taller than the 2 feet of frame you torched off! Nice job by the way, You don't have to worry about anyone under 5'9" ever stealing that lifted one. Couldn't climb in.

4 hours ago, dave110 said:

I love Texas. If you tried a project like that in a neighborhood setting around here the stack of permits required would be taller than the 2 feet of frame you torched off! Nice job by the way, You don't have to worry about anyone under 5'9" ever stealing that lifted one. Couldn't climb in.

Hahaha...that's good stuff Dave.  Outside of the cities in Texas you don't even need a permit to build a house...just build away.  Thanks for the compliment and the laugh! 

4 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Might want to spruce up on the tuning you have as well.  The Smarty does some pretty funky things for timing.  there is a lot to be gained with better timing.

forget the trucks lets see more of that manly viper.  

such a cool car.

Tell me more about the funky timing and the Smarty...so far it has been trouble free.  It is an extremely powerful stack with the TST.

Here's a few more pics of the Viper...my testosterone shot up a 100 points after I drove it home...?

I learned that sex appeal can be purchased if you weren't born with it...? 

20170209_175212.jpg

20170209_175133.jpg

20170209_175104.jpg

Edited by Bullet
  • Like 1

20170209_175212.jpg

Pretty sure it is leaking both testosterone and sex appeal

giphy.gif

"Because Viper" trumps a lot of things .  I always wanted the Ford GT, but I can't help but drool over the viper

Tell me more about the funky timing and the Smarty...so far it has been trouble free.  It is an extremely powerful stack with the TST.

We have datalogged a lot of what the smarty S03 is doing.  This thread contains the info along with a lot of other info.  

in short however the S03 will command a static 18* of timing once duration hit's %100 and throttle is above a given tps input %.   IE: at WOT you are only getting 18* of timing compared to the 32* you should be getting on the top end.  

static timing s03.PNG

you can see that when I go WOT (Orange line) from a Stop you effectively get a static timed VP44 sitting at 18* of timing.

I have datalogs showing how much help you get in terms of true power by increasing max timing from 26* to 28*   imagine going from 18* max to 32* max lol

29v26..PNG

here are my datalogs

Edited by Me78569
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bullet said:

Hahaha...that's good stuff Dave.  Outside of the cities in Texas you don't even need a permit to build a house...just build away.  Thanks for the compliment and the laugh! 

Now I really envy you. Around here you need a permit to put a pre built storage shed in. And you need to get a storm water runoff plan approved for anything larger than a doghouse. No un-registered vehicles are allowed to sit outside. Registering means insurance and inspection and altering the frame would require a special enhanced reconstructed inspection. We're not far from Cali., but we're getting better. Years ago you couldn't burn trash on Monday because that was wash day. They fixed that by outlawing washlines in all but the most remote places. A trespasser could hang themselves on your washline if they didn't know it's there. No matter now since burning has been outlawed as of 2 years ago. Sorry for the rant.

Enjoy the site. There's a picture thread up in the 2nd Gen. section. It would be a good place for your truck pictures. Nice car by the way :thumbup2:

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2018 at 1:49 PM, Me78569 said:

20170209_175212.jpg

Pretty sure it is leaking both testosterone and sex appeal

giphy.gif

"Because Viper" trumps a lot of things .  I always wanted the Ford GT, but I can't help but drool over the viper

We have datalogged a lot of what the smarty S03 is doing.  This thread contains the info along with a lot of other info.  

in short however the S03 will command a static 18* of timing once duration hit's %100 and throttle is above a given tps input %.   IE: at WOT you are only getting 18* of timing compared to the 32* you should be getting on the top end.  

static timing s03.PNG

you can see that when I go WOT (Orange line) from a Stop you effectively get a static timed VP44 sitting at 18* of timing.

I have datalogs showing how much help you get in terms of true power by increasing max timing from 26* to 28*   imagine going from 18* max to 32* max lol

29v26..PNG

here are my datalogs

Thank you for all this info...took me a while to digest it all.  Not sure that I understood it all but I understood enough to see what you were talking about.  With the Smarty it seems like the most power to be had (best timing curve) would be running it on SW3 or even SW1 while the TST is dumping fuel in.  What is the best timing box in your opinion?  Or I guess another way to ask is what timing box should I be running?

BTW...I have a neighbor 1 street over that has a 1st gen Ford GT (navy blue w/white stripes) and it is on another level altogether.  I would love to have one too but those things are way up there pricewise.  The price was right on the Viper...?

6 hours ago, Me78569 said:

If you want to keep the tst then the ts mvp would be my choice.

I did alot of reading about it and it looks to be a pretty mean stack with the TST comp.  What I read is that the MVP shines up top and the smarty down low.  Some have stacked all three together while running the Smarty on the even numbers for low end fueling only.  Getting the timing from the MVP along with the high end fueling.  And of course all the while the TST comp is dumping bucket loads of fuel in up to 4k.  Might try it out since I already have the Smarty. 

I accidentally combined your quote with mine... 

Edited by Bullet

31 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Please don't. You can accomplish the same thing by just using the throttle pedal.

You would be much better off getting big boy injectors and turning the duration down, rather than up.

That is some really good work you have done on these threads...and I appreciate your answers.  I think my brain is about to explode however.?

I only have 150 sticks cuz it was a daily driver for a while and I wanted to keep it somewhat well mannered on the street...and it is a pleasure to daily drive.  And I have been really happy with the Smarty/TST Comp stack.  So from all your work I have read it seems the best thing for me with current setup is to run the Smarty on lower levels to get "better" timing out of it and increase injector size for excess power to be used at my leisure?

I've never had injectors any bigger than 150.  How much bigger could I go and still keep the truck somewhat pleasurable to drive?  The only thing it ever tows is a very light bass boat on an aluminum trailer (2k lbs) so I'm not worried about towing manors...just around town driving. 

I dd'd with ~250 horse injectors and passed emissions with a single he351ve.  It's all in the tuning.  I ran a quadzilla adr and it was a pleasure to drive.

There's videos in the article section

Honestly I prefer stock timing to the smarty timing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1