• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Forgot to mention, I could have got my tires for about $620 shipped to my door or a store to them, but I ended up getting a warranty for each tire. It sounded like no matter what I did with them they would cover it. Also Discount Tire does patches in tires for free for anyone, you don't even have to buy tires from them. And the guy in the phone told me if I found whatever tire for less money than they do he would price match. All in all I think that's going to be my new place to get tires as long as they don't change anything. Another thing tires are made in Indonesia, not China or Korea. At least this batch. Not sure if it makes much difference. And it does have the snowflake symbol. I'm probably going to put white lettering inside, just kind of used to having black tires.

20181023_172513.jpg.15dc6f074abb45d50fc26d57c8420ce9.jpg20181023_172507.jpg.3f852ca684d24f0704a6c7aeeaf7a0ff.jpg20181023_172450.jpg.0c7ab8577abfd862b97080937196c322.jpg

17 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Who's they, Discount Tire or Hankook

Discount tire. I have cut 3 or so in sidewall on darn near worn out tires and they g

Have always replaced them no matter the wear. They have also warranted any that did not live up to mileage warranty. That is prorated but damaged ones were full replacement. You have pay mount, balance, and for another warranty though. Not exactly free but pretty close.

• Like 1

so I weighed the tires and rims before and after and here is the result.

Tires I had was a toyo Open Country at2 285/70/17 E rated about 70% tread left, 72lb. These hankook's I just put on come in at 74.2lb in 265/70/17 E rated. 

Point I'm trying to make is, even though hankook's are a heavier tire in a smaller size, still getting cooler egts, less engine load and better MPG

So in my opinion it's not so much about rotational mass (which probably has a factor in it just not a big one), ie not upgrading to 3rd gen brakes because of it, but definitely has a lot to do with gearing. 

Just shearing the outcome :party:

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced the junky Mastercraft tires today with Hercules Terra Trac AT II's in the same size, 285/75x16E. Only 22K miles on the old ones, rated for 50K. I did get some prorated tread wear credit out of them. They weren't quite to the wear bars but on the roads I travel, I didn't want to go any longer. Nothing I hate worse than a flat tire or dead battery.

1119180835.jpg

1119181129.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

Hercules Terra Trac AT II's in the same size, 285/75x16E. 

I decided to give 265 a shot, kinda getting used to smaller look, performance seems better, enough to notice and MPG went up a bit but now that it's cold back down. Going to play with timing and see what happens. 

7 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I decided to give 265 a shot, kinda getting used to smaller look, performance seems better, enough to notice and MPG went up a bit but now that it's cold back down. Going to play with timing and see what happens. 

I really wanted to go down to the 265's but they didn't have what I wanted in that size. I was surprised they only had two sets in stock v/s 4 sets in the 285. They had a set just like I took off (Mastercraft, economy Cooper) and a set of Ironman's (economy Hercules) I didn't want any more economy's Lol.

I did buy the Road Hazzard Warranty this time since the Hercules are an unknown and I go off highway a lot. I had to unload this skidsteer because even in 4x4 I couldn't get up the hill. 2.5 miles to the job site, 4x4 the whole way. My son is spun out on the same hill with a load of rebar, so Ram tows Ram. I do hope these tires last longer....

0911180904.jpg

0911180854.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So far I'm happy with hankook's, this was just under 3000lb and most of the weight on rear tires. I aired them up to 80 in rear and 70 in front because I didn't know what to expect. I didn't look like they squatted at all. Air bags were at about 50 psi, cold of had less psi in both bags and tires. Meaning there is more room to wiggle :thumb1:20190110_183001.jpg.18a5e68964d924c90abe3724b17125b2.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 11/19/2018 at 2:57 PM, NIsaacs said:

Replaced the junky Mastercraft tires today with Hercules Terra Trac AT II's in the same size, 285/75x16E. Only 22K miles on the old ones, rated for 50K. I did get some prorated tread wear credit out of them. They weren't quite to the wear bars but on the roads I travel, I didn't want to go any longer. Nothing I hate worse than a flat tire or dead battery.

1119180835.jpg

1119181129.jpg

Yup, mine are all but done already, two years and 28k miles. They want $1050 for a new set just like them, or I can go to Discount tire and get a set of Cooper ATP's, same size same price. I do buy the no fault warranty, 4/32's tread left.

Note the clean wear pattern on the front, oem ball joints & unit bearings, 352k miles.

1023201514.jpg

1023201514a.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

oem ball joints & unit bearings, 352k miles.

I'm still kicking myself in the rear for changing my ball joints too soon. People say oh you can't have any play in the lower joint but you can in upper because upper is designed to move and lower is not. Well I had minimal up and down on both and thought lowers were going, just to find out new did exactly same thing :duh:

NIsaacs

You might want to try loading that skidsteer the other way (back it in).  The way you have it, it is a "float" load -- not enough on the tongue.  Float loads don't add enough traction weight on the trucks rear axle.

Just a thought to consider in the future.

Joe

• Like 1

Thanks Joe, the operator is backing it up as I took the picture, it was farther forward. But yes, I understand your thinking. The new road was soft powder and steep, no traction at all.

Picture of the skidsteer  fully loaded and my son's load, heavy load of rebar. It was longer than the trailer so he didn't have much pin weight either.

0911180753.jpg

0911180841.jpg

Edited by NIsaacs
  • Like 1