• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Grounds and electrical stuff.

3 hours ago, Exalted85 said:

IMG_20181103_162405.jpg

I just posted, but I see that Dripley beat me.  He went into more depth and provided more information than I did.

Are you using an electric soldering gun? What is the wattage?  The joint in the photo looks like it needs more heat.  Try adding some flux and more heat to the one in the photo  and see if you can get the solder to flow using the procedure below.

When soldering, hold the tip of the soldering gun against the crimped terminal.  The heat will transfer through the crimp into the wires.  Touch the solder at a point where the terminal edge meets the wires.  When the terminal and wires get hot enough, the solder will start flowing.  Keep the soldering gun tip on the crimped terminal and keep adding solder as it disappears through the crimp following the wire strands up to the insulation.

Watch a couple of soldering videos on You Tube and do some testing until you get it right.

As far terminal ends - personally I don't like insulated terminal ends because they are too difficult to crimp properly.  I do what you did, but before crimping the terminal onto the wire, I place the proper size of heat shrink with sealant over the wire and push it out of the way.  I then crimp the wire into a bare terminal end as you did (except that I will crimp it correctly) and solder the joint.  After the joint cools, I move the heat shrink into position and finish the job.

- John

Edited by Tractorman
  • Like 2

Thanks guys. I am using a soldering iron, not sure of wattage..but I was definitely doing it wrong, by just touching iron to solder and dipping and spreading. 

I now know what you meant about crimping, I think. You crimp opposite of the split on the inlet. I didn't understand what you meant, because mine weren't flat. 

I'll go buy some flux, didn't know what this was..but do now and that definitely seems necessary. 

I'm assuming if I apply iron to crimp box, that once the terminal and wires are properly heated, when I touch solder to the wires, it'll travel towards the heat, into the inlet crimp, where heat is being supplied? 

I hope my iron gets hot enough..I think it's like 30 watts? It's a cheap one if I recall

Well, I went to get some flux, ended up buying a 60w iron kit for 15$ more tart came with it..let it sit on a test terminal for like 5 minutes..still wasn't hot enough to melt solder. The thing claims to get 1300 degrees..the metal on it turned blue..I could feel the wire was definitely heated through the rubber case..but wouldn't melt solder. I'm pretty skeptical about space and hazard of firing a torch in the engine bay..but I just don't know why I can't get this to work heh. 

Will the solder melt on the tip of the iron? You only need about 400* to melt it, IIRC. A plumbers torch deep in the engine bay is not a good thing. The pencil torch puts out the same type of flame only much smaller. Still have to be careful where you point it.

1 hour ago, dripley said:

Will the solder melt on the tip of the iron? You only need about 400* to melt it, IIRC. A plumbers torch deep in the engine bay is not a good thing. The pencil torch puts out the same type of flame only much smaller. Still have to be careful where you point it.

It'll melt solder..really confused here. Could it just be dissipating heat too fast? So odd. I'll have to look into a pencil torch tomorrow..I have one more day :/

It's definitely just not conducting heat for some reason. I held it on there for a while, then touched it..nothing. I hate electricity. Need fire.

Just for shits..I held it under a candle..it definitely got hot..but did chill pretty quickly. 

Edited by Exalted85

3 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

Make sure tip is not loose in iron and a sharp tip will work better than a rounded tip. If you melt a little solder between tip and terminal it will heat terminal up faster. 

I'm at a loss at this point..the 60w iron sat on it for minutes..so did the 30. They're both rounded..neither brought it up to temp. I saw the flux melt..but no solder. I tried filling down a spot on the terminal to copper and tapping in there..no go either. 

I did tighten both the one I just bought and the old one. 

If it was conducting properly..just how long should it take to heat the wire? Minutes? Hours? Did I just not let it sit long enough? I can't imagine it needing longer than a few minutes..but I could be wrong, hell, I'm more than likely wrong. I tried applying as much surface area as I could as well. 

Is it possible the terminal itself is incapable of transferring heat? I tied setting it in direct wire and terminal too..nothing. 

I'm doing something wrong..I've never heated a terminal up before..so I'm certain it's me

• Owner

Heck I just used a normal propane torch and heated the crimp up good and hot and touch the solder to the crimp instant flow. Let cool and I was done. No soldering iron used. As for shrink tube I'm not worried being I've NEVER had battery terminal corrosion yet. Yeap, still got my factory battery cables and terminals in perfect condition yet... Just use a bit of engine oil that's all.

DSCF4423.JPG

Heck, you can even see the burn spot that my propane torch produced on the air tube. 

DSCF4427.JPG

• Staff

I got a small piece of sheet metal to use as a heat shield to prevent damage, but that was with the big flame thrower type plumbers torch. Really want to get the pencil torch. I think that would be a nice tool. 

Exalted85, I have one of those soldering irons like yours. I never have gotten it to work properly.

You hold the flame to the crimped portion of the terminal while holding the solder to the wire ends and it will flow thru nicely. Once it flows it is enough, you don't want to damage the wire insulation.

You can clamp on any kind of wire jaw or clamp to the wires to act like a heat sink so your less likely to melt the insulation while soldering, but shrink tubing with adhesive is good stuff and a little bit of insurance if you do degrad it a bit.

Edited by JAG1

What tape did you guys use for looms across the front of the motor? I only seem to find electrical tape 176f tape at auto parts stores..does the front of the engine exceed that?

I found "loom harness tape" on Amazon..but I'm trying to find something local to finish this today. 

5 hours ago, Exalted85 said:

What tape did you guys use for looms across the front of the motor? I only seem to find electrical tape 176f tape at auto parts stores..does the front of the engine exceed that?

I found "loom harness tape" on Amazon..but I'm trying to find something local to finish this today. 

I know the tape I pulled off of mine is not regular electrical tape. I used some super sticky electrical tape on mine and it does not like the under hood temps. I would have a mind to try that stuff you found. Sounds like it might be better suited for the job. Of course I do not know that personally and if they want 20 bucks a roll I might not be interested.

Okay guys..I'm about wrapping this up..but I have one more problem. The black and tan wire..I didn't re use it. I previously had an auto shop "delete" the gray quick connect..but what shall I do with it? I'm abt

About spent..I was gonna clip it and cap it..but I'm not sure if that will create problems or not

IMG_20181104_172712.jpg

Well..it definitely took me more than two hours..but I got it done right, I think / hope. 

Instantly I noticed when I started it..it idled at exactly the same rpm, rather than bouncing around. I was excited. Drove highway to get gas, no cruise control hiccups. When I started it back up after fueling up, the rpm was bouncing again..It ran home fine with cc again..so I'm hoping the rpm at idle bounce isn't an indicator that the apps is losing control again..so I'm still a little skeptical on that point. Usually when I reset, it takes a couple days to degrade. 

All in all, super stoked, learned a lot, and really appreciate the help along the way. Definitely not a two hour job for a rookie, haha. 

• Like 1

So I have a question for those that have modified the charge wire from the ALT going straight to the passenger battery. You aren't using any type of fuse circuit breaker? Just running it from the positive post on the ALT straight to the positive post on the pass battery correct? This is not going to fry the ALT?