• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Nv4500 atf+4??

• Staff
6 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Might check your local Dodge dealer. As of lately, they are loading both NV4500 and NV5600 transmission with ATF+4 now. Must not be very different. :shrug:

That's not something I've seen, thou I don't take anything to the dealership for routine fluid changes. 

Is there a TSB for this? If not, the dealership is just being lazy and not following the OEM fluid requirements. ATF4 does not superseded the OEM specs, unlike enigne oil changes. 

• Owner
On 11/3/2018 at 10:02 AM, 12vhunter said:

I went to the dodge dealer and he said that atf +4 had to be used in my nv4500.

He said it superceded the old oil and when he typed in the part number it kept coming back to the atf +4 so I'm wondering if I can use it.

Hence why the thread was started... 

I'll give you this one. I started digging the syncros are different. But I'm not sure what they are made of yet. Still digging. 

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Both have carbon fiber syncros.

2 hours ago, AH64ID said:

NV56000 and NV4500 do have different syncro's, hence the different fluid requirements. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

I found it at GM and amazon for $33 tax and I need 6 quarts so that is what I will do. I wish I could buy the amsoil then add a posi friction additive but that would be to easy right lol

• Staff
56 minutes ago, cuda said:

I found it at GM and amazon for $33 tax and I need 6 quarts so that is what I will do. I wish I could buy the amsoil then add a posi friction additive but that would be to easy right lol

Why do you need a posi friction additive for the transmission?

Shoot me a PM if you want me to get you a price on Amsoil. 

My thought was the clutches had the additive in the rearend for when you went around a corner so it would not act like a locker to the inside wheel, so it made them slip a little, so in the nv4500 my guess is that they needed lube for the gears and shafts, then they needed protection for the soft metal parts (brass) syncos and then something to slick up the carbon fiber syncros. The pictures I have seen of a damaged nv4500 syncro it looked like little bits of the carbon fiber had come off the brass syncros. But I don't know I don't design stuff I just drive it.

I read your posts on the SAE 50 that is what brought me to this site, If I had my transmission rebuilt with the new sycros (brass) I would not be scared to use it as you have a lot of miles with it now I just want my current trans to last as long as it can since the old gears are not available anymore. Really sucks a 5 million dollar in payroll company going out of business but those are the times we live in.

• Like 1

• Owner

I personally think there is way too much hype on spec for transmission lubricants being that Dodge Dealer's dropped the original Castrol and Texaco fluids for both transmissions and then changed over to ATF +4.  Even the G56 in the 3rd gens stated at ATF +4 fluid as well even though most find out that it spec'ed for GL-4 fluid as well. Even back not long ago the GetRag 360 was 10w-30 engine oil in the 1st gen trucks.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I just noticed Idaho? I thought for some reason you lived in Eastern Oregon, I used to have a couple 71 GTX's man 71 on up B-Bodys got no respect price wise that's how I remembered your name Mopar1973man the weird way I remember things

• Owner
5 minutes ago, cuda said:

I just noticed Idaho? I thought for some reason you lived in Eastern Oregon

Because I'm always talking about Ontario, OR which I down there 3 days a week. I'm in Central Idaho north of New Meadows, ID.

6 minutes ago, cuda said:

that's how I remembered your name Mopar1973man the weird way I remember things

Use to own a 1973 Dodge Charger SE. Yeah, I remember those times rather well. 

If nv5600 wasn't so expensive I wouldn't be scared trying diferent fluids. My Mustang I had called for automatic fluid in t5 and I mixed gear oil and tranny fluid along with other crap and never had a problem, of course I blew 3rd gear out of it more often then changing oil. Few times I had it fixed by the shop and then I started rebuilding it myself as it got expensive. 

• Owner
7 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

If nv5600 wasn't so expensive I wouldn't be scared trying diferent fluids.

That because New Venture went out of business after 124 years. There are very few cores left in the world so the core prices are even monster high. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Venture_Gear

After 124 years in operation, on Thursday, August 24, 2012, New Process Gear ended production and closed their doors for the last time.

More on the article of the shut down.

https://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/08/new_process_gear_closes_this_w.html

• Sad 1

Well i did decide to try another fluid since I am changing the pto covers and I will be using Red Line 85 since it looks like they actually spec it with NV4500 on the bottle, I hope it makes my dual disc a little easier but it is pretty good as it is. Will report back good or bad.

• Like 2