• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Gearing questions

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner
1 hour ago, Marcus2000monster said:

No . Still running 285. I will be stepping down to 265 though next time I need tires

Got to 235/85 R16. Same height on the 235s but narrower. If you off-road a lot run the 265 for flotation. 235s are great for the ice and snow. 245s are great on 3.55 gears too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2018 at 7:10 AM, Haggar said:

To verify your new ring and pinion ratio, just open the cover. 

Count the number of teeth on the pinion.  Count the number of teeth on the ring gear.

Divide the number of teeth on the ring gear by the number of teeth on the pinion.   This is the gear ratio of that pair.

It is certainly possible to get the 4:10 with the 5 speed.  I am sure it was an option. 

Axle swap would still be faster.  Its better to have the axle out to get the gears set anyway.  (its not fun under the car doing the ring and pinion.  it can be done, just did my brother 70U, but in hind site i should have dropped the axle. 

I am like mike, the LS is not needed, but nice.

Hag

hops and bucks in a straight line, or only when  you turn?

Hag

Can't you just rotate pinion 3 1/2 times and mark wheel rotation?  Saves opening the case up?

Edited by Blueox01

3 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Same here, going from 285 to 265 hurt me a little crusing at 75, I now have to cruse at 70 or less. But going 60,65 is way better on mpg. 

I can still make 19.5 mpg at 75 on the interstae. 7 to 9 hours on Friday and back again on Sunday does not leave much room for much 60 mph driving.

What makes you have to cruise at less speed?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blueox01 said:

Can't you just rotate pinion 3 1/2 times and mark wheel rotation?  Saves opening the case up?

Yes and no.  In your example the following will be true:

If you have limited slip, block the front tires, place transmission in neutral and raise both rear tires off of the ground.  With both rear tires rotating together for one revolution, the driveshaft will rotate 3 1/2 revolutions.  

If you don't have limited slip, block the front tires, place transmission in neutral and raise one rear tire off of the ground.  Rotate that tire two revolutions and the driveshaft will rotate 3 1/2 revolution.  

- John

5 hours ago, dripley said:

I can still make 19.5 mpg at 75 on the interstae. 7 to 9 hours on Friday and back again on Sunday does not leave much room for much 60 mph driving.

What makes you have to cruise at less speed?

My instant mpg meter on qwad just drops like a rock if I'm above 70 and it's very accurate now that I got it dialed in. It seems im constantly trying to build boost even going slight down hill. It could still be in my tuning, but don't think so. I'm close to 20 timing at 70mph summer was closer to 22 and I played with it too to see if there is much change, not really, which is wired. I need to drive it more and play with settings,  I had it working good right before it cooled off and now chasing ghost. I'm not too worried as I know it'll come around. I didn't just gave up my 285s to have crappier mpgs at 75 with 265 so I'm determined to figure it out, just taking my time. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tractorman said:

Yes and no.  In your example the following will be true:

If you have limited slip, block the front tires, place transmission in neutral and raise both rear tires off of the ground.  With both rear tires rotating together for one revolution, the driveshaft will rotate 3 1/2 revolutions.  

If you don't have limited slip, block the front tires, place transmission in neutral and raise one rear tire off of the ground.  Rotate that tire two revolutions and the driveshaft will rotate 3 1/2 revolution.  

- John

I understand what your trying to articulate, but why would you spin the tire and not the pinion? The pinion gear powers the ring gear not visa-versa.

1 hour ago, Blueox01 said:

I understand what your trying to articulate, but why would you spin the tire and not the pinion? The pinion gear powers the ring gear not visa-versa.

The ratio works both ways, so either method is fine.  If you were doing the test outside, you may not want to be laying under the truck in a puddle of water rotating the driveshaft.

- John

• Like 1