• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How well does your truck pull 8,000 pounds

• Staff
4 hours ago, portlandareae28 said:

What are your rpms at with this setup?  Say at 55, 60, 65?

I had 265/75-16 and changed to 245/75-16 a few years ago when I got a deal on 5 almost new Michelin tires and have not corrected the speedometer so it read about 2mph high. 

With that said, below truck is going down the other side of the 6% Conway grade in torque covertor locked up 3ed gear.

IMG_3938.JPG.1623875a3061e91bb7bd13aa8a7ae272.JPG

IMG_3940.JPG.38d78a06f2a84a6fce3f9ef88e2727d7.JPG

Cruising along in lock-up O/D 

IMG_3943.JPG.71bff6df7ba8ff4ed6bd005eb216abc5.JPG

A little slower

IMG_3947.JPG.2bb070e8c3693582a891901923664e7d.JPG

2 hours ago, pepsi71ocean said:

I'm assuming this controls lock up.

Yes it does. When the APS goes to idle the PCM unlocks the torque convertor so anytime you engage the Pac Brake the controller grounds that orange/black wire commanding lock-up in idle.  The 'mystery switch'  will keep the convertor locked all the time it is on.  If the mystery switch is on and you engage the Pac Brake then the orange/black wire is just grounded in 2 places. 

The DTT voltage regulator will not effect this lock-up. The regulator is used the fool the PCM about line pressure.  

My old 2001 with rv275s and mad ECM/smarty was a pulling animal. 

More than once I had 20k on the deck (mini hoe and skid steer) and I could pull out and pass people in 5th and be up to 70 yesterday.  In 5th gear...trucks pulling hard. 

I never ran 6th unless actual speed limit was 65 mph. 

That combo was bar none my favorite towing combination. More than enough juice for whatever you needed and you didn’t need to keep a close eye on the gauges. 

Edited by Ben

1 hour ago, Ben said:

My old 2001 with rv275s and mad ECM/smarty was a pulling animal. 

More than once I had 20k on the deck (mini hoe and skid steer) and I could pull out and pass people in 5th and be up to 70 yesterday.  In 5th gear...trucks pulling hard. 

I never ran 6th unless actual speed limit was 65 mph. 

That combo was bar none my favorite towing combination. More than enough juice for whatever you needed and you didn’t need to keep a close eye on the gauges. 

Can I ask about what the settings the smarty was on? 

8 hours ago, pepsi71ocean said:

Can I ask about what the settings the smarty was on? 

8 hours ago, Tractorman said:

I am curious as well, since I have the same setup.

- John

The Mad ECM was smarty 9 except not quite as refined.  When Marco came out with the Smarty I got it and just ran it on 9. 

I never had any issues towing heavy.   I loved that combination. 

Eta- As morning coffee is taking hold and I’m thinking here (this was well over a decade ago) , I only ran rv275s with an edge ez and mad ECM

I got the smarty in 2007 when I moved to 150s and super b. 

Like I said, the ECM was the straight  Smarty 9 setting. 

I found an old dyno sheet in my archives comparing the 2 set ups. The “toe” box was bd’s rebadged ez. ?

D7ADAF11-01A4-4B44-86CC-C5C888BE156F.jpeg

Edited by Ben

2 hours ago, pepsi71ocean said:

@Ben I wish there was a way to see the colors better.  Can you expand on he two that start moving at 600rpm, I think that is the mad ecm correct?

Correct.  The red is mad ECM

Now.  Why the difference rpm wise I don’t know or recall. To me it looks like when the run started recording. 

Ill have ave to go through other dyno sheets with different setups to see if they are like that.

Edited by Ben

On another note regarding the Smarty. 

My experiences with it have only been manual transmissions. It allowed me to run my shifts out very nice when needed, past 2500 rpms it was still pulling. I learned to roll in the throttle so I could drive it relatively smoke free until I had some boost built up.

For me it was a huge improvement over the EZ drive ability wise.  

That being said, I have read over the years that the smarty and autos didn't play nice so this is just my experiences. 

2 hours ago, Ben said:

Correct.  The red is mad ECM

Now.  Why the difference rpm wise I don’t know or recall. To me it looks like when the run started recording. 

Ill have ave to go through other dyno sheets with different setups to see if they are like that.

If you do have the free time, I'd love to see if that is the case, since the SW9 starts right off idle, i have observed through my own testing with the fueling and responsiveness. So If that is the case then I could see that. if other dyno runs with the smarty show the same I would really find that interesting.

50 minutes ago, Ben said:

On another note regarding the Smarty. 

My experiences with it have only been manual transmissions. It allowed me to run my shifts out very nice when needed, past 2500 rpms it was still pulling. I learned to roll in the throttle so I could drive it relatively smoke free until I had some boost built up.

For me it was a huge improvement over the EZ drive ability wise.  

That being said, I have read over the years that the smarty and autos didn't play nice so this is just my experiences. 

Yes and no, the Smarty doesn't place nice and requires more fine tuning to run right on an auto. But this is also as I've learned can work well, just requires allot of patience. The smarty behind a built auto with a higher popped injector is a beast, especially in the towing arena.

• Thanks 1

@pepsi71ocean You are going to have to give me a bit. BUT, I do have a dyno sheet with the different smarty levels, however they were with 150's and a superB. As I recall, the differences were not drastic.

Aaaaaand, that dyno sheet is busy. Just to forewarn you. 

As I said in @Tractorman's post a bit ago, the smarty is all about your foot for the most part. 

That being said, it's awesome you are getting this done on an auto.

@pepsi71ocean

hope this helps. 

A2C1EB3E-CB56-4E22-89EC-36FC873C7FAC.png

F29FE620-7CE9-4576-88D4-EFC770BAF9C7.jpeg

Edited by Ben

@Ben That is some really interesting stuff there. I'm really curious to see the engine rpm dyno on the different levels, but They seem to match what @Me78569 had for a while on his quesadilla post on injectors.  I think that the aggressiveness coming from the smarty is how fast it ramps on up. But even for me the revo is quite crazy for tune-ability and smoke control. Its hard to imagine how complicated this smarty is to understand. 

People don't still understand the REVO and it has been out for HOW LONG?

That has been one of its biggest drawbacks. All of this fun stuff was just thrown in your lap with someone saying have fun. Period. 

There was no breakdown anywhere that I have seen of someone from MADS (preferably Marco) going through every setting step by step saying this does what and this is what should happen. 

I messed with it when it was first available but just went back to 9. 

I could see the REVO settings being nice for an auto owner. But for a manual, 9 and run it. 

This being said, the MAD ECM with timing was the rawest/most aggressive version of smarty 9 I ever dealt with. I regret selling that ECM. A TST COMP and that old ECM....whaaaaaaaat. Manual of course. 

I have always been a smarty fan since day one and as far as I recall, the only one that has dyno'd that setup and posted it so much. 

Edited by Ben

29 minutes ago, Ben said:

People don't still understand the REVO and it has been out for HOW LONG?

That has been one of its biggest drawbacks. All of this fun stuff was just thrown in your lap with someone saying have fun. Period. 

There was no breakdown anywhere that I have seen of someone from MADS (preferably Marco) going through every setting step by step saying this does what and this is what should happen. 

I messed with it when it was first available but just went back to 9. 

I could see the REVO settings being nice for an auto owner. But for a manual, 9 and run it. 

This being said, the MAD ECM with timing was the rawest/most aggressive version of smarty 9 I ever dealt with. I regret selling that ECM. A TST COMP and that old ECM....whaaaaaaaat. Manual of course. 

I have always been a smarty fan since day one and as far as I recall, the only one that has dyno'd that damn setup and posted it so much. 

Revo is very confusing and I have gotten closer then anyone else has after 2+ years of trial and error with my set up, and changes of injectors and such, its a mess. But the Revo if you get it tuned right makes a raped ape truck. I think the Revo makes the other SW#'s even more versatile, granted I liked the SW#'s by themselves but the revo gave me allot of control over the engine that I didn't have with the regular SW#'s

This article I wrote is about as close to understanding what the different revo functions do.

And its not completed, but It is about as thoro as we can get without the help of MADS at all.

15 hours ago, pepsi71ocean said:

Revo is very confusing and I have gotten closer then anyone else has after 2+ years of trial and error with my set up, and changes of injectors and such, its a mess. But the Revo if you get it tuned right makes a raped ape truck. I think the Revo makes the other SW#'s even more versatile, granted I liked the SW#'s by themselves but the revo gave me allot of control over the engine that I didn't have with the regular SW#'s

This article I wrote is about as close to understanding what the different revo functions do.

And its not completed, but It is about as thoro as we can get without the help of MADS at all.

Correctamundo as thorough as we can get. 

I replied to that post but my experiences are from a different animal. 

Sad thing is Marco was so involved in the beginning and I give him a lot of credit for doing what really could not be done at that time frame. You had Jim Jessup's ECM's and that was it. 

Plug and play boxes were all a similar rehash then. 

The TS MVP is the only thing that comes close or stronger to how the smarty feels. But that box coming on at 7lbs boost is downright hateful. 

Edited by Ben
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 2000Ram2500 said:

@IBMobile I was reading your article on the mystery torque converter lockup switch. Just out of curiosity what mods does the valve body need for 2nd gear lockup. I didnt see it mentioned. 

there are some holes that need to be drilled. @Dynamic should be able to elaborate on this.

Every valve body I build (47RE or 48RE) will lock in any forward gear (with external switch) and allow both locked 3-4 upshifts and locked 4-3 downshifts.

There is a signal that needs to be removed from the TCC lockup valve (and an exhaust hole added) to allow manual 2nd lockup.

Forward clutch oil needs to be provided to the TCC solenoid (and 2nd gear oil that was previously there removed) in order for there to be 1st gear lockup on a 47RE VB. A 48RE VB has the capability to lock in any forward gear from the factory.

A signal needs to be removed from the 3-4 timing valve to prevent immediate upshift to 3rd when lockup is commanded in 2nd gear.

The lockup timing valve needs to be modified to allow a locked 4-3 downshift.

All of these are accomplished easiest with a custom separator plate. I have the plates I use laser cut here locally. The plates I designed also allow boost valve operation in 2nd gear and higher, but that's another topic entirely...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2