• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Staff

Almost all the ground wires in the truck are black with orange tracer.

The only black/orange (BK/OR) wire to check in the fog light system is the one from the headlamp switch to G201.  The other two wires to check are the light blue (LB) from the fog lights to the relay and the brown/yellow from the relay to the headlamp switch.  Recheck the wire diagram, if you need to, as to were the wires go.  

5 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Almost all the ground wires in the truck are black with orange tracer.

The only black/orange (BK/OR) wire to check in the fog light system is the one from the headlamp switch to G201.  The other two wires to check are the light blue (LB) from the fog lights to the relay and the brown/yellow from the relay to the headlamp switch.  Recheck the wire diagram, if you need to, as to were the wires go.  

The wire diagram makes no sense to me at all. 

20 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Pull the headlight switch out disconnected from wires and shake It,  can you hear anything rattling loose inside

I have tried a new switch and it didn’t work so returned it to NAPA. I’ll try and see if I hear anything though. If I pull the fog relay and with the key on probe the relay sockets with a MM or test light thy should tell me if I have a bad wire between the switch and Pdc right?

• Staff

DSCN9779.JPG.e296a888875bab5ff77220a7e956087a.JPG

In the PDC remove the fog light relay.   With the head light and ignition switches in the off position there should be  voltage at terminal #30.  With a jumper wire ground terminal #30, the fog lights should come on.

Turn the head light switch on and select low beam, there should be battery voltage at terminal #86.  Now select high beam, there should be no voltage to terminal #86.

With the head light switch and fog light switch both turned on Ohm test terminal #87 then terminal #85, both should have a reading of less than 5 ohms.

Terminal #87A doesn't do anything so it is blank.  

59 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

In the PDC remove the fog light relay.   With the head light and ignition switches in the off position there should be  voltage at terminal #30.  With a jumper wire ground terminal #30, the fog lights should come on.

Turn the head light switch on and select low beam, there should be battery voltage at terminal #86.  Now select high beam, there should be no voltage to terminal #86.

With the head light switch and fog light switch both turned on Ohm test terminal #87 then terminal #85, both should have a reading of less than 5 ohms.

Thanks that is much more simplified! 

On 1/18/2019 at 7:34 PM, IBMobile said:

Hoping to have time to figure this out tonight will report back. 

• Staff
1 hour ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Ok I have voltage at 30. And the lights do not come on when I ground 30 .

That is because the system is still getting 12V from the park light circuit which powers up the light in the head light switch. :duh: I forgot about that.

DSCN9779.JPG.2fb656ff33fc3f640c464e71daec7160.JPG

When you ground #30 look at the head light switch ; you'll see the little blue fog light in the switch is on.  Now pull the park light fuse and it should go out and no voltage to #30.   If this is the case and you still have 12V from the fog light fuse to the fog lights then there is an open grounding circuit between the fog lights and the relay terminal #30.

Edited by IBMobile

1 hour ago, IBMobile said:

That is because the system is still getting 12V from the park light circuit which powers up the light in the head light switch. :duh: I forgot about that.

DSCN9779.JPG.2fb656ff33fc3f640c464e71daec7160.JPG

When you ground #30 look at the head light switch ; you'll see the little blue fog light in the switch is on.  Now pull the park light fuse and it should go out and no voltage to #30.   If this is the case and you still have 12V from the fog light fuse to the fog lights then there is an open grounding circuit between the fog lights and the relay terminal #30.

Thanks again for those. I feel dumb but I replaced the bulbs and now they work!

• Haha 3