• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dodge 1500 Motors

So just a little idea spark here... I really think it would be fun to convert a 2nd gen 1500 single,short cab 2wd with a different motor. I am helping my father in law, rebuild his 360 in his 99 due to cam gear exploding. It's done and ready to go back in, however when er were looking for parts and upgrades to throw at it for some more pep for him, we came up short. Either you can't find go fast goodies during to the nature of the motor or if you did find them it was stupid expensive... now everyone does cummins swaps and that would be awesome but very heavy for the little truck. Still would do if I found the right deals, but what about like a chevy 350 and the plethora of mods available? Which would you choose? I can agree it would suck in the electronics department... Basically if I had a money tree, it would be a older chevy frame and running gear and powertrain with a 2nd gen dodge body.... wierd? 

Going to be on training for a week, figured this discussion would be worth while... 

Maybe just get a half ton frame and short body and throw all 2500 part under it? With a cummins? 

Just as a fun - play truck might I add. No work or towing.

We bought the wife a 2000 Dakota back in 01. Came with a 4.7. It had a Jett chip and Borella headers on it. The sob would fly. I have no idea how what kind power that added but when traded it on a new 06 with the same engine it was like driving a 6 cylinder untill you wound it up. Surely ther is something out there you can that is similar.

• 2 weeks later...

About 10 years ago Iimported into the UK a dodge half ton think it was either 48 or 52 can't remember, It had a chevy 350 fitted, sold it straight away as couldn't keep it with that engine, shame really as a few months later I got a 02 1500 4x4 ram that I broke for parts, motor out of that went in a 72 dart without the electronic rubbish.

Here in the uk anything over 40 years old is road tax and MOT exempt, MOT is yearly safety/emissions check which is a lot harder than USA check, would be nice to find a 40 year old 4x4 dodge and stick the running gear of my 2500 under it, but I'd never consider running gear fron chevy or ford