• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Looks like I am joining the 4th Gen ranks....

AH64ID

@AH64ID, congratulations on your new ride! 

At some point down the road could you let me know what you think of the OEM headlights on your new truck?  Daniel Stern (of Daniel Stern Lighting) recommends converting older 4th generation reflector style OEM headlights to the newer projector style OEM headlights - your year of truck was mentioned.  I would like to get your opinion.

Thank you in advance,

- John

3200 miles?  ouch for the PO lol.  

Nice looking truck.   as for the headlight upgrade on the quadlights, I would do a retrofit before going with the OEM halogen projectors.  

The cost of the retrofit stuff is less than the cost of sourcing the oem parts, plus you get better optics and Xenons and or LEDS.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

3200 miles?  ouch for the PO lol.  

Yep, they bought it 3 months ago today. Good for me!

I guess it's a retired couple who bought it with the intent of getting a 5er and touring the country with some friends. One of the friends suffered a heart-attack, non-fatal, but the whole plan got scrapped. Without a need for a 1 ton they traded it in on a 1/2 ton. 

At least they hadn't bought the 5er yet :-) 

• Staff
On 2/26/2019 at 1:01 PM, BBHD said:

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this one :thumbup2:

Aside from a couple of minor functional upgrades it will be along time before I mod the drivetrain, if ever. (or so I say :doh:) These new Ram's are pretty damn capable in bone stock form. 

While tinkering with diesel has been a hobby of mine for more than a decade I am looking at putting that hobby to pasture, at least for myself. I will continue to tune for other people.

I am getting to that point where doing stuff around the house and with the kids is the hobby I want to work on. The kids are at a fun age where they like to do stuff outdoors both home and in the woods. 

When the kids are gone and the wife is sick of me I'll probably do some wrenching again, but for the next 10-15 years I just want to make memories in my free time. 

• Like 3

shoulds like a good choice.  I am in the same boat, I dont have much desire to tinker with the new truck.  It pulls worlds better than my 2nd gen could dream off.  

It drives at 75 without trying to kill you. 

it is quite and nice to be inside of

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Did my first tow this past weekend. 

FAW: 5120

RAW: 7080

GVW: 12260

TAW: 7380

GCW: 19,640

I am quite impressed with the truck. It handled the weight like it wasn't there. Overall it was effortless on winding mountain roads. 

The 6.7 has more power from idle thru 2000 rpms than my 05 did, and I think the same or slightly less from 2200-2500 but it's hard to tell as the gearing is also difference (taller gears and larger tires). I haven't had the need to run it higher, and really it rarely went above 2000-2200 anyhow. 

The auto-level suspension is awesome and worth it for anyone considering a 2015+ 3500. I loaded up the quads and the trailer, climbed in and hit "ALT Trailer Height" and the rear drops just over an inch to engage the HD overloads. It sits perfectly level all the time in this mode. The ride is stable and comfortable at the SRW RAWR. No appreciable body/suspension sway. 

Fuel economy was about the same as the 05 on the same trip, at just over 10.5... can't complain about that considering all the emissions on this thing. 

It was a little different dealing with an auto, but I was happy to have it as we meandered thru traffic leaving town. The programming is quite good, as it will allow the engine to hold 90-100% load in 4th without downshifting if the truck is holding speed. It didn't ever hunt for gears, and never was in the wrong gear. 

The auto and the exhaust brake is nice, but I still find myself selecting gears manually.... thou that's likely more habit that anything. 

The integrated brake controller is proportional to the pedal position, like the max brake I had on my 05, and it works very well. The truck keeps track of the miles towing, so as soon as the brakes are disconnected the trailer odo stops recording. I thought that was kinda cool as I have always tracked my towing mile. The trailer does need new brakes, and will get them before my next trip. They just didn't show up in time. 

The family was much happier with more room and a quieter ride. It was easy to hear the audiobooks and carry on different conversations front and rear. 

16A07153-A8AA-4F72-BE39-0B72F8CB4FEA.jpeg

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 4

• Staff
On 2/25/2019 at 11:58 PM, Tractorman said:

@AH64ID, congratulations on your new ride! 

At some point down the road could you let me know what you think of the OEM headlights on your new truck?  Daniel Stern (of Daniel Stern Lighting) recommends converting older 4th generation reflector style OEM headlights to the newer projector style OEM headlights - your year of truck was mentioned.  I would like to get your opinion.

Thank you in advance,

- John

I have to say that I am very impressed with the OEM lights. 

I don't have the fogs with highs enabled, but I'm still hoping the local dealership will do it. The lows do stay on with the highs which is nice. 

• Staff
2 hours ago, Tractorman said:

@AH64ID, thanks for the response.  What do you think of the low beams alone, without fog lights.  How are they for lighting a dark roadway ahead and off to the sides?

- John

They are quite good as well very even coverage and bright. 

40 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

They are quite good as well very even coverage and bright. 

Thank you again.  I will pass along this information to a friend with a 2011 truck who is considering converting to these headlights.

Sounds like you and your family are liking the new truck.

- John