• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Well we all know what this code means. I have been fiddling around under the hood a lot lately and I wonder if I bumped something that could cause the code? Truck still runs ok but seems like it got a bit louder as far as the typical knocking noise. Is they’re any other symptoms that show with this code? I honestly hope I have to do a vp because that could be cuasing a few small issues of been having for a while....

• 3 months later...

My turn.

Got same code today after 2200 trip last weekend.  

Cleared, drove 15 mi and it’s back. Please define “issues with PSG on VP44”.

Not sure I really want to know what PSG since it’s used in the same sentence as VP44. :)

I can see the TACH taking minute dips and it sounds like a cylinder miss does on a GASSER for lack of better description. Please listen to attached.

Thanks Leaky

New Recording.m4a

It is not that hard to do. Mike has an article on it, so does Blue Chip diesel. BC is the one I used since it was pre moparman. I read the instructions several times before I did it and kept them handy while doing it. An extra pair off hands is handy plus it keeps from drinking all the beer yourself. My son and I did my first one in 4.5 hours. Did the next one my self in about the same time. I dont get in hurry when doing a lot of projects unless it is an emergency.

It would be good to see what others might say about the problem before completely condemning it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leaky88 said:

Thanks.

So I might as well ask now.

What’s involved in changing the VP 44 out. Lessons learned etc.  

Thanks

Like @dripley said, don't jump to conclusions but replacing the vp44 is not that difficult. I did mine about 6-8 months ago.  Mike's articles are all you need to do it. 

L8tr

D

Thanks. 

It’s always good to know what “might” be in store for me. 

The VP44 on my truck is a remanufactured one. The truck still had

an OEM Carter Fuel pump mounted on the engine when I bought it which might account for it having remanufactured one.  First thing I did was install a FASS pump and replumb it. 

The only other code I’ve received is a P1291.  My truck throws this when the relays are disconnected during warm weather.  

Just thankful this did not happen last weekend on trip to WY and back.

The only about today was a heavy rain but I drove through rain last weekend. 

I certainly don't want to condemn the VP44 given the cost of replacement if there is something else I’m not seeing that could be causing the problem.  I’ll keep looking.

Leaky