• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2 minutes ago, trreed said:

Spending the extra money on the DOR steering is not worth it to me.  It might be to you.  I do have a DOR track bar.  It's been a solid choice, and I haven't had to mess with it in the 2.5 years its been in service.  That part is worth the wait to me.

I’m no mechanic, so if you think that going with a fourth gen steering set up can handle the big wheels and tires that I eventually want, I’ll take your word on it, but I also don’t want to go the cheaper route then have to pay for it in the future.

1 hour ago, dripley said:

Still more money. How about the rear? Dont get me wrong, that look is not for me. But it is not my truck and I am a firm beleiver in to each his own. Just trying to figure how you can raise your truck like that and have it structurally sound for much less than 2 grand in parts. Then you got to buy the wheels and tires.

@Kane4sythe i am not trying to discourage you in the least. I would hate to see riding tall in the truck just to have break.

I'd be happy to discourage from going big lift and tires.  It's very expensive and a real pain in arse.  I have had to lengthen drive shafts, lengthen brake lines, reconfigure emergency brake, made my own jack stilt cuz my 30" industrial jack just wouldn't cut it...and that doesn't include the hours of labor removing and replacing every suspension, steering and alignment arm on the entire truck.  And if that's not enough to discourage you...I spent $3.5k in parts and $2k in wheels and tires.  Keep in mind that I did it all myself so not a dime was spent in labor...except for the driveshaft lengthening.  I wouldn't do it again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kane4sythe said:

Oh my, what needs to be done to the rear? I thought it was just the front ends in these trucks that went bad?

The only reason I brought up the rear is if you raise the front you have raise the rear. Nothing inherently wrong with the. As mentioned below ii is not a big deal just more money.

9 hours ago, trreed said:

@dripley, the rear lift is a combination of taller blocks and arched leaf springs.

On 3/25/2019 at 11:07 PM, Bullet said:

'd be happy to discourage from going big lift and tires.  It's very expensive and a real pain in arse.  I have had to lengthen drive shafts, lengthen brake lines, reconfigure emergency brake, made my own jack stilt cuz my 30" industrial jack just wouldn't cut it...and that doesn't include the hours of labor removing and replacing every suspension, steering and alignment arm on the entire truck.  And if that's not enough to discourage you...I spent $3.5k in parts and $2k in wheels and tires.  Keep in mind that I did it all myself so not a dime was spent in labor...except for the driveshaft lengthening.  I wouldn't do it again.

Why do so many folks do it if it’s so bad?

On 3/26/2019 at 8:11 AM, dripley said:

The only reason I brought up the rear is if you raise the front you have raise the rear. Nothing inherently wrong with the. As mentioned below ii is not a big deal just more money.

Oh yeah of course haha. We’ll have you seen all the people with bagged rears and lifted fronts? It’s called “leaning”

13 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Here is what I think. You're young and have extra money to play with. Doesn't sound like you need this truck to make money with, haul tools to construction site that's easy to get in and out, pull a gooseneck trailer, etc. I was young once and that's exactly what I did, I build fast cars and big trucks. Did it cost money, oh yeah, would I like to get that money back to pay off the house, or put it to better use, yeah. Would I go back and change it all, experience/ knowledge that will come with it, Joy of accomplishing something, all the things you learn along the way and people you meet, no... I would not change that. 

So I guess the point is, to each their own. Most of us are looking at it this way, been there done that, not really worth it in the long run. You just want something cool, and sounds like to be a part of the whole process. 

I say go for it, at least when you get older, you'll have something to talk about, look back at it and say yeah I did that. Money is here one day and not hear the next and things change in life so much you never know what will happen.

Do good in school and get a good job, then you'll have all the money you need. That of course depends on what you want to become, you can do really well in school and not get a job. But that's whole other subject. I suppose if you got kids and family to support, it would be foolish/ selfish thing to do. If you're single I don't see why not. Just know in the long run it's money down the drain, but then again what would you prefer money or other things.

Look at people signatures, a lot of times it'll tell you what works and what doesn't. 

Not sure if I made any sense

You’re exactly right, you never know what’s going to happen, and although I believe you should be prepared for the future to a certain extent, I don’t think I should spend my whole young life worrying about the future. This is the richest I’ll ever be. Free house, free food, and no bills. The only thing I pay for are things I don’t need and things that I enjoy. You made since. I know the truck is a money pit, but if I’m not enjoying what I’m doing, it’s going to get sold. This isn’t going to be a hassle or a stressful thing for me, I have no deadlines or due dates with my truck and can do as I plead with it. I know what I want with my truck and if it takes 15 years to get there, then so be it, although I’m sure by that time my likings and preferences about the perfect truck may change, heck I could be a Chevy guy by then and I don’t really like Chevy all that much. I’m just going to build the truck slowly with the extra money I have, and of course when I have a family, their needs will be first priority, but I think even if you do have a family, some stable hobby such as working on your truck is a good neutralizer, for the times when your wife is driving you nuts lol. It’s bit like you have to put thousands into it a year, but surely I think after the family’s needs are cared for it’s okay to spend a few bucks here and there. I hope mine also makes sense.

4 minutes ago, Bullet said:

That's a great question and I really don't have a logical answer...but...the chicks definitely dig it!  :thumbup2:

Haha, I’m sure they do. But what you’re saying bullet is a lot of work, but I know what comes along with one of these trucks- a lot of work. To me though, working towards my dream truck is not work, no matter how many hours it takes, and I believe the journey along with building your truck is part of the fun. Idk that’s just my opinion though, I’m sure I’ll chanhe it when I actually realize what I got myself into.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kane4sythe said:

Haha, I’m sure they do. But what you’re saying bullet is a lot of work, but I know what comes along with one of these trucks- a lot of work. To me though, working towards my dream truck is not work, no matter how many hours it takes, and I believe the journey along with building your truck is part of the fun. Idk that’s just my opinion though, I’m sure I’ll chanhe it when I actually realize what I got myself into.

That's a good answer...and probably the only real reason to do it.  As a male, the feeling of accomplishment will always bring you fulfillment.  And there's only one way to get that feeling...and that's to get'r done! 

20 minutes ago, Kane4sythe said:

Oh yeah of course haha. We’ll have you seen all the people with bagged rears and lifted fronts? It’s calledleaning

I have seen a few. I prefer to lean the other. Always liked the stock rake of truck. But to each his own. And you too. Build what you want. I think everyone trying to warn you about the pitfalls and the expense to do it right. I personally would not do it. It still galls me to pay $900 for a set of tires.

1 hour ago, Bullet said:
1 hour ago, Kane4sythe said:

t I got myself into.

That's a good answer...and probably the only real reason to do it.  As a male, the feeling of accomplishment will always bring you fulfillment.  And there's only one way to get that feeling...and that's to get'r done! 

That’s right!

1 hour ago, dripley said:

stock rake of truck. But to each his own. And you too. Build what you want. I think everyone trying to warn you about the pitfalls and the expense to do it right. I personally would not do it. It still galls me to pay $900 for a set of tires.

Yeah, I was looking on custom offsets and 900 for what I’m looking for would be low.

2 hours ago, dripley said:

stock rake of truck. But to each his own. And you too. Build what you want. I think everyone trying to warn you about the pitfalls and the expense to do it right. I personally would not do it. It still galls me to pay $900 for a set of tires.

Yeah, I was looking on custom offsets and 900 for what I’m looking for would be low

Alright, so now I have another question. You guys mentioned that if I ever decide to go as big as I’d ever think about going, 24x14 wheels with 38 inch tires, that I’d have to get it re geared to 4.10. What is the biggest you thing I can safely go without pushing it, and not have to do any work at all to the truck? Or should I just completely keep it stock until I can back up the mechanics?

On 3/27/2019 at 9:53 PM, Kane4sythe said:

What is the biggest you thing I can safely go without pushing it, and not have to do any work at all to the truck? Or should I just completely keep it stock until I can back up the mechanics?

Without lifting the truck, 285/70/17, 285/75/16, this is with no rubbing on control arms. You can go a few sizes bigger but as you turn steering wheel all the way tires will rub on control arms. I had 35s on my 12-valve, with no lift but the lugs were going, ting ting ting on control arms. The only reason I put them on, is I got them used for a good deal and I also had 4:10s, I could finally go 65 without engine screaming. 

• Owner
On 3/27/2019 at 7:03 PM, Bullet said:

That's a great question and I really don't have a logical answer...but...the chicks definitely dig it!  :thumbup2:

Then a guy like me with my stock looking truck comes along and steals your chick because I just whipped you in street race with 245's tires. :lmao: Seriously, I've surprised a lot of people with my truck, the perfect street sleeper.

I got it to admit it was nice to hop back in the saddle yesterday got to the I-84 kick the pig and roasted the tires in 3rd, hit 4th hopping, nailed 5th and was hitting over 80 MPH before the end of the on-ramp after being in the hospital for 3 days. 

There was a post back aways back...

On 3/27/2019 at 6:54 PM, Kane4sythe said:

Why do so many folks do it if it’s so bad?

Well, yeah everyone thinks it looks cool. I do as well it does look pretty darn good. There are forces of leverage that cause huge issues with the front axles with larger tires and wheel offsets. The final gear ratio gets altered without any considerations. This why people like DOR exist is to get the parts upgrades to hold larger tires without damage. Then the gear ratio issue most dismiss but end up eating transmissions and drivelines because of the torque trapping you do with final gear ratios below 3.55. Optimal is 3.55 to 3.73 to the ground. Most add tires and end up in the 3.00 to 3.20 realm which is too low. 

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Then a guy like me with my stock looking truck comes along and steals your chick because I just whipped you in street race with 245's tires. :lmao: Seriously, I've surprised a lot of people with my truck, the perfect street sleeper.

Lol...I don't think you can hang...not many sporty cars can.  I'm 6k lbs, 600hp and built auto.  I like to think of it as a pretty good sleeper too...even you already think you can outrun me. :tease:

If you steal my chick I'll pull my other Dodge out of the garage and get her back.  You know how fickle girls are...:thankyou:

20170209_175104.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trreed said:

Well I'm assuming the Viper will be there....

To be honest it's not much faster than the truck...it's bone stock except for Corsa exhaust and no cats...450hp/500tq.  They both run 12's...just on opposite ends of it. 

Just now, trreed said:

Last time I ran down a strip I went in the high 15's.... so I always forget what it's now capable of.

Yes sir!  There's a hell of alot of difference in the butt dyno between 15's and 12's...or 11's.  And it's much more impressive when it's done in a diesel truck.  

• Haha 1