• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Replacement 6x9 door speakers

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

Ha ha just ordered some polks 20 minutes ago :lmao:they should be fine I hope, lots of people like them, idk.

To OP  sorry for :hijack: just fine tuning this thread :whistle2:

Nothing wrong with polks man.  I've found that for the price point, boss has really made a name for themselves for midrange speakers.  Polk have always been great speakers ?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys another question. Do these amps help at all, should I keep them or bypass them? I put an aftermarket stereo in and just thinking maybe it will be a better sound without using the factory amps? Will I need new wire too or it should be fine. 

BTW I used 6.5" in rear doors, fit just fine. I used some selftappers because the head on the original screw is too big and was touching speaker rubber part.

@trreed @SavageTusk

edit

Reading some more about it, I found that amps are only used with factory stereo and if using an aftermarket one they need to be bypassed for better sound quality and something to do with 4 vs 8 oms, and 30amp max where my stereo is 250 x4 I believe so it will be too much for these amps anyway. I guess I'm pulling them things off and see what happens. 

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Like 1

I'm not sure they are actual amps, I thought they were more of a crossover.:shrug: 

I thought they just send the high end to the tweeters in the A-pillar and keep the low end bass in the woofers in the doors.  They trigger off of a relay though so maybe they do amplify also...

For what its worth, I kept mine in place.  I didn't want to have to re-wire everything and at some point I plan on going back to the OEM set up with just woofers in the doors and new tweeters in the A-pillar instead of full range speakers in the doors.

14 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Thank @IBMobile just in time :thumb1:

I have infinity, front left (driver) is different. Mine were just black and red I put red on + and black on - rear left seem to match, haven't gotten to others yet

Figured why wires don't match, I was looking at wires that go from plug to amp (not all trucks had that) what I needed to do is go before the plug, it all match there. 

31 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Sorry guys another question. Do these amps help at all, should I keep them or bypass them? I put an aftermarket stereo in and just thinking maybe it will be a better sound without using the factory amps? Will I need new wire too or it should be fine. 

BTW I used 6.5" in rear doors, fit just fine. I used some selftappers because the head on the original screw is too big and was touching speaker rubber part.

@trreed @SavageTusk

edit

Reading some more about it, I found that amps are only used with factory stereo and if using an aftermarket one they need to be bypassed for better sound quality and something to do with 4 vs 8 oms, and 30amp max where my stereo is 250 x4 I believe so it will be too much for these amps anyway. I guess I'm pulling them things off and see what happens. 

I bypassed 'em and ran straight to the new receiver. ?

• Thanks 1

Get rid of the factory amps. If you want an amp get an aftermarket with around 100 watts RMS per channel. Key is RMS (continuous power rating) with a low THD (total harmonic distortion). Your radio may say 240x4 for power but that is peak power and the THD is probably 10% or worse. RMS power is probably somewhere around 25-50 watts. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 98whitelightnin said:

Could you tell a difference without the amp? I left mine so I didnt have to mess with wires and they sound fine to me.

The sound is clearer and louder, I was surprised at first that sound didn't change much by going to more expensive speaker, I could tell the difference after removing the amps.

Edit

Keep in mind I have aftermarket market stereo, if you're still using factory stereo you probably need the amps

Edited by Dieselfuture

Those factory amps are matched to the factory speakers and rarely make an aftermarket speaker sound good. If you want to really wake up the Polks add a 4 channel amp. The Kicker 4 channels are pretty good with them. They won't play the really low notes but the mids and highs will really shine.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

The sound is clearer and louder, I was surprised at first that sound didn't change much by going to more expensive speaker, I could tell the difference after removing the amps.

Edit

Keep in mind I have aftermarket market stereo, if you're still using factory stereo you probably need the amps

Ive got pioneer 6x9's and a kenwood stereo.