• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Smarty s03 today :)

14 hours ago, Evan said:

I've ran 5 with all timming sets and factory timming.  To me fuel curve down low seems different than 6

Timming at 4  makes a weird power curve hard to explain. 

SW4 and SW5 have the same fueling curve, SW6 and SW7 have the same fueling curve, The only difference is the duration and timing controls.

14 hours ago, Evan said:

I've had a weird whistle since adding the quad boost fooler. Wondering if I have a boost look. I get a weird whining whistle from drivers side of motor under light boost just over 10 psi that turns into a screaming whine at 30psi. I dont seem to be down on boost it makes 30 easy and 35 pulling well did make 35 I haven't got on it hard enough to see 35 in awhile. 

Wondering if a small boost leak could cause smoke and weird power curve with added timing. I wont have time to dig into the possible leak until the weekend sometime. Ahead of my truck is a 12v that we haven't figured out why the fuel solenoid is intermittent.

I haven't been in any other 24v to know if mine is whining like its leaking or just moving air. I think leak since it seems to be on the driver side away from the turbo and filter.

I had a boost leak with my stock boots, I tried the hair spray and it worked for a while. And even with my after market boots i can still get a noise as well if i hammer on it. But I've yet to find it with a boost tester, The Smarty does boost fooling on its own, do you mean that you have a plug in boost fooler?

14 hours ago, Evan said:

I'm happy running sw6 for now. Just like how it feels down low. I think it's the only catcher setting running torque at 4 sw5 I think has torque at 3. To me it feels like that. 

I may try sw5 I don't care for changing timming or tm #s in revo settings.

The revo settings are what really allows us to control the smoke and tuning, its not just the SW#. I never had good tuning with the SW's by themselves.

14 hours ago, Evan said:

I'l like being able quickly drop timming if I'm hooked to a trailer. I've forgot to drop timming few times while towing pretty heavy. That's mostly why I decided to just run sw6 with factory timing

I've never had an issue with it locking timing to soon with the timing on 4 with SW on 5.  but I have had issues with timing on 4 and SW on 9.

14 hours ago, Evan said:

Sw 8&9 tm6   

sw7tm5

sw6tm4     

sw5&4 tm3 

I could be wrong on these fiel curves. To me it makes since that smarty has a different curve on 6 and 7. If they had the same curve one fuel map would be skipped. May be why I keep ending up back on sw6

Not sure what sw2 is timing 4 with I think.

Thanks for helping you got me thinking on this again 

We still don't know exactly how the revo and the SW#'s mash, But I have allot of time doing this switching settings in groups, its hard to ex0plain it. that's why my Smarty article is so long.

I don't think that the settings and what Tractorman said are wrong, but I think that it explains it. Switching revo does have an effect on how the SW#'s effect throttle position. @Me78569 figured that out.

I hugged the smarty in this morning then unplugged it

I've already ran all timing settings with all sw#s. Knew I was towing today so didnt waste my time adding timming.

I've ran even and odd #s without timming. It could just be my weird but dyno but sw6 seems different from 5 and 7. Timming removed from both. Its probly just me. 

Towing about 11k as pictured it smokes like a freight train from a stop. I've ran timming st 3 towing and 4 empty. It still smokes alot when I get on it.  

Towing today I was watching the boost gauge at about 10psi it lights and starts whistling.  Then at 18 or so it kinda you can feel it go dead. Then it spikes to 30. Doesnt seem to do it every t I'll me accelerating. I think I hear a flutter to

Maybe its loaded up to much fuel not enough air as it goes flat then picks it up.

2019-06-22_12-19-32

This machine is 10k.

So towing about 16k

2018-06-06_08-34-03

I'm scared to run much timing towing

When she had wwite hips

2018-07-29_03-25-45

I agree.  That why I'm sitting on the fuel only setting that feels good to. . Yesterday I pulled eisman canyon at 80mph right at 1300temp. Could be my imagination,  but she seems to rin better after.

I'm headed to finish a dig, cruising empty. Not that I want to but I may beat you to 400k. Already almost 3k into 300

I've always thought white smoke when colds normal now I'm starting to wonder.  It's not burning coolant has about 250k on a inframe.  I haven't turned it up. It's a 365 big cam Cummins 

2019-06-22_07-25-17

The timing isn't added/raised by raising the number, its how soon it locks the timing, Your still putting out too much fuel,

the correlation between when it locks the timing and the fueling depends on the SW# and the Timing number.

The smoke is due to the lack of timing, you need to run timing to clear up the smoke, and or turn back your duration or TM#'s to control the pre/post boost fueling.

Edited by pepsi71ocean
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Evan said:

I agree.  That why I'm sitting on the fuel only setting that feels good to. . Yesterday I pulled eisman canyon at 80mph right at 1300temp. Could be my imagination,  but she seems to rin better after.

I'm headed to finish a dig, cruising empty. Not that I want to but I may beat you to 400k. Already almost 3k into 300

I've always thought white smoke when colds normal now I'm starting to wonder.  It's not burning coolant has about 250k on a inframe.  I haven't turned it up. It's a 365 big cam Cummins 

2019-06-22_07-25-17

Warm it would be a worry but cold is ok.... cleans up warm hopefully.... I've looked after a lot a big cummins... NTA855 x 8 in poxy terex dumptrucks, KTA1150 x 4 in AB 55 tonne trucks, and who knows how many generators, NTA855 dogs nads... cam timing is a shim out or in on the follower blocks on the side of the block... piston kit with liner was less than £100 per pot, shim pack for liner height was less that £20 and the tool to cut the liner counter bore was peanuts.. in frame for less than 1k..... oopps I forgot to add this was 35 years ago :cummins:

nice to see a 3500 doing what it's supposed to do

• Like 1

Ok ran sw5 tm4 d5.

Truck runs good night have alittle more overal power than sw6 no timming added I think it sounds alitt different towing at about half throttle.

It didnt blow the head gasket towing 11k at 30psi om the freeway doing 80. Temp seemed the same 

I'll leave it here for awhile then drop back duration to 4.

I like changing one setting at a time.

Also noticed some haze at idle when truck was just running with sun setting just right. Maybe a valve seal, could it be fuel at idle cant really tell what color the haze is it's so faint.

1 hour ago, Evan said:

Ok ran sw5 tm4 d5.

Truck runs good night have alittle more overal power than sw6 no timming added I think it sounds alitt different towing at about half throttle.

It didnt blow the head gasket towing 11k at 30psi om the freeway doing 80. Temp seemed the same 

I'll leave it here for awhile then drop back duration to 4.

I like changing one setting at a time.

Also noticed some haze at idle when truck was just running with sun setting just right. Maybe a valve seal, could it be fuel at idle cant really tell what color the haze is it's so faint.

I wrote that guide in a way to help guide users in dialing their smarty in. you can tell which settings to dial in based on what the truck is doing smoke wise pre/post boost.

If you have a haze at idle its most likely fueling, I'd say dial back the TM#, because its pre boost fooling. If your passing someone on the highway for example and you have tons of smoke then your duration needs to be turned back.

Spool-up issues is directly related to timing, and which # you select. The higher the SW# the more you must lower the Timing. Can't run timing on 4 with the SW on 9. But it works great on SW5.

I don't assume that the TM/T/D are related to any set SW#. because to me in order to clear up pre boost smoke i have to lower the TM# the higher i go with the SW#.

For example with SW9 I can barely get TM3 to not smoke. but with SW5 i can get much better throttle response with TM on 4 or 5. I think that 5 is borderline without popping injectors. Now to explain WHY this is.

The SW9 fuels very hard off idle, and you hit 100% fueling very quickly on the actual physical throttle, (about 35%), on SW5 I hit 100% fueling command around 60% of physical throttle.

Now the difference is drive-ability. Its much easier to control fueling and smoke with more pedal control. And as such you can also add more torque with pre-boost fueling (Higher TM) then when you have a pedal that's more sensitive.

A good example of this is the cruise control surge. When I dialed back my TM# on SW5 from 6 to 4 i lost the Cruise Control Surge issues. I can drive the truck with cruise control and it doesn't go nuts. Now explain why this is?

I'm not sure what to think. I cruise just under the turbo. Wind hills any kinds drag lights it then almost dumps it ounce drags gone. Combination of fuel and factory computer.

On sw5 youd have to turn it up to 6 to be able to back it off to 4.  

My truck smoke with injectors on there own no programming. Maybe I should try timing on 4 with no fueling.

I have read your article not sure I see the changes with settings that you do.

Got me thinking again.

Still on sw5 tm/default tm4 d5

Think 6 has slightly more get up and go off idle with no timing 

My brain hurts.

Oh I noticed that at 75mph I was at higher psi than 6with no timming. 

Cruise surges but livable om both settings

Cruise surged with just I injectors no programming just less surge.

On 6/24/2019 at 2:18 AM, Evan said:

I'm not sure what to think. I cruise just under the turbo. Wind hills any kinds drag lights it then almost dumps it ounce drags gone. Combination of fuel and factory computer.

On sw5 youd have to turn it up to 6 to be able to back it off to 4.  

My truck smoke with injectors on there own no programming. Maybe I should try timing on 4 with no fueling.

I have read your article not sure I see the changes with settings that you do.

Got me thinking again.

Still on sw5 tm/default tm4 d5

Think 6 has slightly more get up and go off idle with no timing 

My brain hurts.

Oh I noticed that at 75mph I was at higher psi than 6with no timming. 

Cruise surges but livable om both settings

Cruise surged with just I injectors no programming just less surge.

Turn duration down to 3 and TM onto 4. Also how many miles do you have on your current set of injectors?

4 minutes ago, Evan said:

I'll try.

20-50k on injectors 

I think this is the center of your issue.

I pulled my injectors on my truck after 33,000 miles and mine were well below the minimum spec. They were set to 305bar when i purchased them new, and pulled them they were 280-286. I had constant hazing and smoke, although after a never ending war with my smarty I did get it fairly clean.  I pulled them after watching a video i shot with my truck running my smarty when i first got them with it burning clean, which then lead me to pull and get them checked.

@Mopar1973Man can tell you about the injector pulling and testing game I went through. I currently have mine popped to 322bar, and I saw a huge difference, because I think 290 is the bottom end of the mechanical offset for the smarty.

With the programmable limitations of the smarty I have see a huge change with the mechanical offset of raising the pop pressure. Spool up is a huge difference, and I've been able to add allot of fueling back and it burns clean. Remember that the dynamic and static timing changes with pop pressure.

On tm4 t4 d3

Feels like its making more power also more smoke. Feels like sw6 all default settings. 

Do you think tm4 t4 is safe towing.

Shifts are crisp but earlier than on SW default tm wich I think is 3

Smoke doesnt matter it's not horrible unless I get on it good.  Seems to smoke in all setting I have not ran the tm lower than3 i dont think.Think I'm going back to tm3 t4 and will try d3 there.

Still thinking sw# does not matter especially after you had me run tm4 .

Pretty damn sure sw6 is the only one running default tm 4 wich makes its fuel curve different.  And not paired with 7 wich is tm5

On d3 I didnt notice the dead spot that seemed to be in the middle of the power band.

I haven't ran the freeway to know if it surges but I'm pretty sure it does