• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Smarty s03 today :)

20 hours ago, Evan said:

Running sw5  5 4 2 still

Just got on the freeway mashed it in 4th at over 1500 truck pulling hard sucking me in the seat turbo screaming probly very little  smoke psssssssddddd I hear over the turbo like a aerosol can emptying instantly but not exploding. 

Chopped the throttle dove off the shoulder thinking head gasket no coolant though hoses still intact all fluids good. 

Cruised 40 miles after like nothing happened at 70mp making 5ish psi like normal. Haven't gone over half throttle since. It's got me rattled 

Umm I feel like a gomer

hmm I found what it was can you? How I drove 40miles with it staring at me is beyond me.

20190720_185309.jpg

It seems like my settings are so close to perfect on your truck. Now you see how it works. I wonder what the boost pressure was when that decide to come out of the manifold.

I think for towing and general use the sw5 gives you the best drivability with your throttle. Ratherwise SW7 can get it moving faster but you usually loose the locked timing sooner. It's hard to tell with the different injector size how much give us required before you need to step the timing lock back from 4 to 3.

But there's nothing wrong that locked timing as it will spool like a chainsaw.

Edited by pepsi71ocean
  • Like 1

Running sw5 5 4 2

Spent yesterday and today yanking 12kish around.

Still noticing that flat spot at 1600-1700is. Turbo is lit.

Egts are man able hitting 11-12 running 80mph on rolling fluffy hills. Sustained over 30psi for 5 or so miles and head gasket still seems to be holding. 

I run faster loaded I'm running 2000rpm at 8000. 

Might kill the timming later and see what the flat spot in the power band does. Maybe its mechanical 

20 hours ago, Evan said:

Running sw5 5 4 2

Spent yesterday and today yanking 12kish around.

Still noticing that flat spot at 1600-1700is. Turbo is lit.

Egts are man able hitting 11-12 running 80mph on rolling fluffy hills. Sustained over 30psi for 5 or so miles and head gasket still seems to be holding. 

I run faster loaded I'm running 2000rpm at 8000. 

Might kill the timming later and see what the flat spot in the power band does. Maybe its mechanical 

May want to up your duration one click.  If the timing is on 4, dropping it to 3 will raise the amount of pedal push required to lock the timing. 

• Like 1

Upped d to 3 wont tell anything till I tow.

Installed new air filter maybe very slight amount less smoke. 

I just turn mirror up and push lightly on peddle.  I am getting some drone through the filter so something's flowing better or it's more restrictive. 

On 7/31/2019 at 10:31 AM, Evan said:

Upped d to 3 wont tell anything till I tow.

Installed new air filter maybe very slight amount less smoke. 

I just turn mirror up and push lightly on peddle.  I am getting some drone through the filter so something's flowing better or it's more restrictive. 

This is correct. I have found that you can run the smarty on D1 or D2 but when you are towing or need to really get into the pedal, the lack of duration is only apparent in heavy fueling application. Like towing.

I can see the difference with my truck on the highway driving, but some may not be able to pick up on this without having to be hitched to something.  For me the feel is like not having enough horsepower, like when your trying to pass a car on the highway. 

I drove semi truck for 5 years, the feeling of hammer on the floor and watching your truck slow down climbing a grade is the best way to explain it. Duration controls passing power. IMO it is what allows you to drain your lines, or not put enough fuel into them. Increasing the duration allows you to up your fuel delivery in blocks. But yes I don't know how much per block it changes. I just know that for me 3 is suffice.

Edited by pepsi71ocean

This is how I see TM vs D setting in the logging. 

This crude example is as if you went from cruise state / idle to snap input of throttle and held at that throttle input as RPM raise.  

IMG_20190802_092740166.jpg

TM = how much fuel to command at first throttle input , D is the amount of fuel that is commanded a few seconds after that snap throttle input

7 hours ago, Me78569 said:

This crude example is as if you went from cruise state / idle to snap input of throttle and held at that throttle input as RPM raise.  

TM = how much fuel to command at first throttle input , D is the amount of fuel that is commanded a few seconds after that snap throttle input

Good drawing!  It reminds me of the crazy/hot matrix.  A must see for us dudes...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I have an ex that would suggest the crazy side doesn't go high enough:lol:

Hahaha...I can't say I'd disagree!  I can't believe crazy starts at 4.  Where are those girls at?  I personally have never met one below a 6 crazy and like you I have met plenty of 11+'s... :nono:

Edited by Bullet

3 minutes ago, Evan said:

I've had 3 serious relationships 2 red heads one brunette all crazy high on the scale. None lasted but maybe that has alittle to do with me to

Lol...he specifically says no redheads.

23 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Yes this is How my brain sees it. Like I said TM is pre boost fueling. And duration takes over. 

Side note I can feel the difference between TM 3 and say 5/6. Big difference in feel.

16 hours ago, Evan said:

I almost never snap hard into throttle. 

Dead spot is massive on d5 but only noticable for me while towing when on 2.

I have a built auto for me that is different, I lay into the throttle.

10 hours ago, Evan said:

I've had 3 serious relationships 2 red heads one brunette all crazy high on the scale. None lasted but maybe that has alittle to do with me to

Your not lying, dated a red head she could ride like a champ. But she was crazy!

10 hours ago, Evan said:

I cant help it. On a side not just bumped timing to 3 while I wait for redhead #3 to get here

Any differences you've noticed yet? You should see the spool a little differently. As the truck requires more throttle to lock the timing on 3.

I dont notice anything. I'm worried about timming on 4 while towing. Never really drive over half throttle. That's all it takes to stay with traffic. 

I to put some money in my tranny

But I just dont drive hard . I had a mustang rev his engine at the light next to me. I wonderd if I'd reel him in ounce the turbo spooled.  I let him going lol no reason to burn the fuel to most likely loose and get a ticket.

My tranny drives nothing like stock. I love it. 

On 8/3/2019 at 12:01 PM, Evan said:

I dont notice anything. I'm worried about timming on 4 while towing. Never really drive over half throttle. That's all it takes to stay with traffic. 

Your probably not getting on the pedal hard enough to lock the timing. With sw5 I have to be into it 50% of the way if not a little more.  In a week or so if the truck we'll run I'll shoot a video for you.

• Like 1

I know I'm not that's why I lowerd timing to 3.  Only time I'd lock timing towing and I might not want to do that on timing 4

Thinking about trying sw9 with tm 2 or 3 I dont think I've tried that yet

Trying it. Sw9 3 3 3

Cruise on at 1800rpm super smooth zero surge I'm shocked. Have not got on it. Quite abit of haze showing in headlights behind me

Very excited about how smooth cruise was. This may be the ticket

Edited by Evan