• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Does it pay to rebuild steering box?

Does it pay to rebuild a leaking steering box or buy a re manufactured one?  If it pays to rebuilding them is there a bearing on the shaft that can be replaced?  Mine leaks some when turning when standing still.  I've had it on for about 100k before I put my steering box brace on.

Bob

6 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

You might want to talk to @Blue-Top Steering 

He's got rebuild kits that allow you to do it yourself. Really easy.

Really easy? I wouldn't say that, and I have rebuilt numerous boxes from pickups to big trucks. Really easy, is misleading to a first timer, even if he is an experienced DIY. An FSM will be needed.

My local NAPA has seal kits in stock. You can get output, input or a master kit.

26 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I rebuilt numerous Ford ,Dodge and Chevy steering box they are easy as pie. 

For you it probably is, not so for a first timer. To suggest it is, might get someone over there head. If they are so simple why do we see complaint after complaint on rebuilt boxes? A good book with specs is a must, it is not something you want to tackle, blind. 

This is definitely one that I will not touch. I have gained a lot of confidence and here tackled projects I never did before. And much to my surprise the bulk of it has turned out well. Time is part of the reason but I sure woud hate to loose my steering while blazing down the interstate. It would not end well. Who knows when I retire maybe I will tackle one just to see.

Good instructions would be necessary. 

Edited by dripley

• Owner
13 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

why do we see complaint after complaint on rebuilt boxes?

Because a rebuilder cannot set everything up in a loaded condition. In other words making the final adjustment taking the slack out. Even had the same thing happen with Blue Top Steering. I have to tighten the sector adjustment a 1/4 turn more. Hard to test on a bench test and then install to a truck and find there is some slack. They don't have a truck to bench test on. 

13 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

A good book with specs is a must, it is not something you want to tackle, blind. 

Stock steering box only has two adjustment which are listed right in the FSM book. Sector adjustment and bearing pre-load. Those are the only 2 adjustments. Typically the sector adjustment is left too loose to prevent over the center bind up.

• 2 weeks later...