• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

RV275 injectors

Has anyone installed RV275 injectors in an otherwise STOCK or very lightly modified truck and ran it on a dyno? Anyone made dyno pulls mostly stock vs 275 injectors? I have a 01 4wd auto. Bought it cheap with 174xxx miles needing some minor work. The only engine upgrades are a BHAF,  a Fuel Boss pump and new Bosch RV275 injectors. Truck runs much smoother with better starting after the injector swap but I'm curious how much HP and TQ the injectors really add. 

10 hours ago, Gregturley said:

Has anyone installed RV275 injectors in an otherwise STOCK or very lightly modified truck and ran it on a dyno? Anyone made dyno pulls mostly stock vs 275 injectors? I have a 01 4wd auto. Bought it cheap with 174xxx miles needing some minor work. The only engine upgrades are a BHAF,  a Fuel Boss pump and new Bosch RV275 injectors. Truck runs much smoother with better starting after the injector swap but I'm curious how much HP and TQ the injectors really add. 

I have the same setup.  I swapped in 275s because they were the same price as stock.  It definitely made mine run better but I would guess that had more to do with the old ones being worn out than anything else. I did notice a bump in power and smoke as well.  Its my understanding that with a tuner you can get a pretty good boost in power as well as mileage.

I haven't seen any smoke out of mine. Don't really see any difference in mileage either but i tend to drive 70-80 on interstate and do a lot of stop and go driving. I had about 178xxx on original injectors so figured it was time to replace them. Good thing about this truck is i have all the service records from new. I was just wondering what real world TQ and HP these trucks put out with these injectors installed but have no desire to put it on a dyno.

• Like 1

I went to rv-275s in my stock 2001 2500. I pull a combined weight of 19,400. They smell like it runs richer at idle but on long hauls it gets 13.5 mpg as versed stock I got 12.5 pulling my load.  This milage is a average pulling out west. Everywhere I go there are mountain ranges to go over. One place I go  every month there is a steep hill right from a dead stop. I used to just hold the truck in second to the top of the grade. Now I put it in drive and it has enough HP to go through the gears into high. 

Edited by oldbeek
add on
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 10:33 PM, Me78569 said:

I would guess you would do 220-230 whp rather than the typical 190-200 hp

i would say this is very close....way back when, i dyno'd my stock truck with a superchips tuner on kill (65hp), with a 285/70/17 it made 255/586 at Source Automotive

• 4 weeks later...

Profile: 1999 quad cab, short bed, 4wd, 3.55 rear, auto, stock size tires 245-75-16. Owned since new now with 141,000 miles. Tow 10-10500 Lb fifth wheel est about half of my miles are tow miles.  Fuel pressure, EGT and boost gages since new.

Installed 275 Bosch reman injectors at around 30,000 miles. Replaced stock muffler with free flowing unit. Air flow is now a straight flow out to the exhaust.  Egts have always been low considering.  Installed boost elbow and boost fooler.

I can run up to 30 lbs of boost with waste gain closed BUT from 26/27 to 30lbs there is no real power gain.  All air no fuel :).  So I set the waste gate as close as I could to 26 lbs of boost.  I have always estimated from my boost level that I am getting about 250 to 260 hp. Thats just a best guess.  Stock I was getting somewhere between 18 to 19lbs maybe 20 if you squinted your eye and looked at an angle.

Before I installed the injectors towing it seems to always down shift on moderate short grades but after it now stays locked up over short small grades.  Very pleased.  It generates a bit more soot and will puff some black smoke if I step into it for a short period of time.  In Idaho where  live we have emissions testing for Opacity % (snap test). The fail point is 40.0 (has to be less). Two days ago I renewed my emissions passed a 5.4.... That was an average of 3 snaps.  I try not to "snap" it to hard, kind of a sweet spot to get it passed.  I think the run up was to 2500 RPM.

I think I lost .5 - 1 mpg with the 275's but am very happy with how the truck runs for towing.  I am a VERY conservitve driver and don't horse it around. I let the truck tell me what it wants to do.  My sweet spot for towing is 68 mph. average 11.5mpg on occasion I have gotten 12.8 towing. I did the 55 mph thing many times, might get me a fraction better fuel economy but hardly measurable and it drives me nuts at 55mph, transmission is actually working harder more of a pain it the rear..... at 65 to 68 it just flys along and still have power to pass if needed.

Hope the information helps. The 275's seem to be pretty cost effective if you don't have the need for lots of power.  IMO if you need somewhere between 300 and 500 + hp then you are getting into an area where you need to think about your transmission, brake upgrades etc. Down the rabbit hole :).  DON'T forget to install a boost fooler or you will probably get a check engine light (over boost) and a boost elbow to move your waste gate opening pressure up to take advantage of your increased fuel.

Don't hold me to tight to this but I think my Bosch part number was  0 432 193 635.  Cummins part number 394418399. Sorry for the long post....

Edited by snowbird
  • Like 2

I have the 275 injectors, BHAF, used quad xzt, and stock hy35 with some springs on the wastegate. My boost will hit 26-28. I leave the xzt in the middle position. It really runs a lot better than when i first got it. Can't say i have seen any change in milage after a bunch of tanks of fuel. I get 12.3-12.5 every tank. Thats about 60% stop & go, 40% highway mostly back and forth to work. Highway i run 60-85 mph just depends on if someone parks in the left lane. I dont beat on it but i will drive it fast. Im happy enough with it....for now. 

• Like 1

I’ve never Dyno’d mine, my set up is what’s in my sig, I’ve been running the RV 275’s and quad xzt for a few years, been happy with the performance, mine lives on level 2, with the exception of level 3 towing heavy up the steep grades, I’m about 21k with truck and 5ver and boat behind that, and that averages my fuel mileage around 9 to 10 pulling out west here.  Truck and 5ver by itself I can get around 11 or 12. It just depends where  I’m going. Now truck by itself I can average 19 on daily driving on the overhead lie o meter, or 18 to 18.5 hand calculated. Pretty much 80% rural driving, lots of one horse towns with just a few stop signs or traffic light here and there. 

I do smoke pretty good on level 3 but I blame that on my hy35 with turnbuckle, one of these days I’ll upgrade to a Hx, or an he351 but for now I just live with it, I can max out at 28 psi, and hold 22 psi, pulling hard uphill and not exceed 1200 on the pyro but generally keep it around 1150. I’m still running the stock air box and factory exuast is still in good shaoe at   327k.

• Like 1

My in town traffic kills me. Had to go to Pepboys yesterday. About 5 miles each direction and 40 minutes of drive time round trip. Took me 4 light cycles to get through 1 light. I really hate it here but have 3.75 years till i can retire. Then im gone. Sooner or later ill get this pos on a road trip and see what the mileage is with the cruise set at 70-75.

Edited by Gregturley