• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner

Well gang... I figure I better get the coolant change before winter. So I desided to pull the radiator and inspect it and was surprised to find the face plugged with mud and dirt... Not greasy grime like stock crankcase vents but just mud on the lower part... So I gave everything a good cleaning... :smart: Close up...post-2-138698168325_thumb.jpg The radiator...post-2-138698168371_thumb.jpg Flushing the block...post-2-138698168364_thumb.jpg Appearance of the block currently at 173Kpost-2-138698168358_thumb.jpg The intercooler face.post-2-138698168351_thumb.jpg Appearance of the block at 100K...post-2-138698168345_thumb.jpg Inside the radiator...post-2-138698168331_thumb.jpg Flushing...post-2-138698168339_thumb.jpg

I thought it was a honeycomb at first as dirty as it is. I always pop the hood and blast all the coolers with the power washer so nothing has bugs in it. Good for half of a third of a degree in my A/C vents.

Good for half of a third of a degree in my A/C vents.

wouldn't that be a 1/6th of a degree(hopefully C) anyway i notice that mine was dirty(not blowby, just dust and dirt. i got i real close with my air hose and blew a lot of crap out with 90-100PSI. i also have flushed my coolant system recently(not quite 3 months yet). i didn't pull the radiator to save time. i used prestone antifreeze and used their flush in a bottle. my coolant temp used to set around 170, after changing that thermostat, it hangs out at 195

• Owner

You just spray with the pressure of an ordinary water hose or do you use a pressure washer?

Standard old garden hose sprayer... (70 PSI) Now if I turn the pelton generator off I could of had 118 PSI... (Idaho power washer) :lmao2:

what was your choice of coolant?

Good old cheap NAPA Green anti-freeze at about $6 bucks a gallon... As you can see there is absolutely no need for expensive coolants, additives, etc to keeping a cooling system clean and working. It all about doing the coolant change and flushing the system regularly. After 9 years and 173K miles and have a radiator that clean internally using CREEK water and cheap NAPA antifreeze... Yea that water comes from here... post-2-138698168377_thumb.jpg

Hey,

That's nothing, check this out:

Posted Image

Freaking poppy seeds!!

Posted Image

Oil....

Posted Image

More oil!!

It was so plugged it was getting warm on the dyno back in June!

So I cleaned it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The a/c works much better now, plus I know it has to be cooling better too!!!:thumbup2:

Later,

Winslow

Yeah I've seen plenty of those nasty crankcase vent slobber pics... :drool: - :lmao2::lmao:

But how's the inside of your radiator look? :shrug:

Hey,

Well it was pretty clean really, but I wash it though dozens of time just to make sure! The truck has 228k on it now and I've had it since 207k so I don't know how it was treated before me. This is the only inside picture I have when I replaced the still good water pump:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Later,

Winslow

a cummins radiator laying on the back of a perfect cummins canidate, that old rusty chevy is sweet:thumbup2:

Good eye there!! I call it the "42" b/c I don't know really what year it is, but that's what the guy I got it from called it so the name stuck. I've got the frame set-up for a straight axle off a '64 Ford truck but not sure how well that would work with the Cummins.... Of course I did that work before I got into Cummins so I might have to redo things before I build the project!!:thumbup2: