• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Borg Warner sxe300 62 65 14 turbo :)

• 4 weeks later...

Still a 3rd gen paper weight.

I did order a intercooler tube 2g-3g from stainless diesel along with a diy down pipe kit with he351 flange and clamp.

Never did get the turbo exchanged for 2g turbo it's been a goat rope and I've been distracted anyways. 

Maybe next week I'll get it on. 

20191017_183227.jpg

Planned on doing turbo tonight but oil line fitting is sloppy in the block that's bolted to the turbo. It does snug up against the oring well by hand and not rock but I'm worried it will blow off going down the rd.

Wonderd if its sloppy on purpose for expansion since its brash on mild steel threads?

I appeared to have everything now to install the 3rd gen turbo.  Have to weld the he351 flange on the down pipe and cut it in my exhaust system to length.

Will be a fun project. Maybe for another day.

I guess the hy35 will turn a few more times.

Turbo is clocked in 3rd gen orientation in the picture 

20191024_210239.jpg

20191024_210425.jpg

20191024_212949.jpg

Edited by Evan

Coming along. Turbo is clocked. Stainless diesel intercooler pipe could be a fuzz taller but does work.  Waste gate vacumn line needs to be longer. Yada all small stuff. Turbo is massive compared to hy35.

20191030_202814.jpg

20191030_202806.jpg

20191030_202827.jpg

20191030_212003.jpg

Took a breather after fighting with the oil return line. Ughhhh

Took a nap c ad me back removed waste gate actuator installed oil drain line fabbed down pipe. 

Gota hold waste gate closed somehow and fire it up. Ughhhh again it's almost time to go to work.

20191030_213145.jpg

20191031_024234.jpg

Well shes driveable.  Drive to grab coffee appears to be building boist slightly later than hy35 starts whistle a deep whistle at 1500 rpms.  

Its promising I was worried it wouldnt build pressure down low.

Going to have to figure out waste gate. It just doesn't live well with oil return.  This must be a short actuator.  Ughhhhhh.

Bout to hit the freeway see if temps are same. Around town driving slow temps seem low.

Trucks also alittle quiter maybe alittle more air noise at idle. More mellow sounding.

20191030_212051.jpg

Edited by Evan
  • Like 2

Drives damn near the same as stock but pulls noticably harder in the middle.

I'm building 34is psi then I think  my waste gate bandaid blows open and boost falls or I have a leak. Definitely drives well down low. I'm impressed 

No idea on temps yet. 

While napping I decided I need to build waste gate actuator bracket to go around return tube line and move actuator back to clear same line.  Just needed to sleep on it and stop working on it to figure it out.

Its dumping psi cause I dont have a waste gate actuator or a solid method to hold waste gate closed.  Gita figure out how to get actuator mounted up. Ughhhh

Definitely not a bolt on install. I'll probly have weeks into this FUBARED mess 

Mike's just quick to see it not work out.

Did get her to work.  Been on the trailer alot lately 

20191031_150443.jpg

Edited by Evan

Got some around town stop light to light.  What I like is my driving habits didn't have to change. If it spools slower than the hy35 it's just barely. I run very light footed on the throttle and spool is almost immediate leaving a light.

Once lit it spools about as fast as I push the throttle. What I like is the mean sounding whistle under deceleration the hy didnt do that.

You can also here lots of filter noice under the hood not sure I like that. Havent got on it again to see what max boost is. But definitely seems to drive alittle quicker.  

Freeway temps are 700-850ish at 75mph bout the same as the hy35 that's about 1800 1900rpm.

Need to lock down the waste gate for temporary right now its opening alittle under all throttle conditions.  

This is a short actuator turbo wich means the oil return line is in the same spot as the actuator and they both cant live in thecsame spot.

Ohhh I did turn smarty timing down from 4 to 2.

Looking forward to towing to see what kind of temps itl push, driving around like I normally do empty there's no warning signs of high temps

Have a couple house clearances and alot of dirt to move so I'll probly do a quick turn buckle or fab a bracket and jamb waste gate closed. Since it's going to take a fair amount of doing to reinstall actuator .

Mike I think youd like this turbos manners it really does spool quick. Hopefully I can pull some decent grades with out peddling off temps. Fingers crossed.

20191031_170934.jpg

Edited by Evan
  • Like 1

Yes truck at virtually same psi truck is feeling lighter on her feet. 

Haven't had time to lock down waste gate. 

I've been working to much to finish it. I have waste gate and I haven't finished welding down  pipe into the exhaust system. 

My high and tight exhaust is drooping and that's about how I feel to been running ragged out the last few days.

I'm thinking I need to do a braided return line to help making fabbing a actuator bracket easier.  I started think to run a bell crank then I could mount the actuator anywhere. 

Why cant **** ever just be easy

Found a sizable boost leak. 

Whittled on this Pittsburg wrench to make fuel line removal go smooth. Man I love cheap harbor freight tools 

So far with the boost leak egts and max boost have been roughly the same as hy35. 

Leak was probably present with the hy35 but livened up with 62 turbo

Will update later on if this turbo goes to 60psi ;)  ounce intakes all sealed up. Lol I'll be happy with meat 40 

I did see 34 with the leack

20191110_170904.jpg

20191110_171015.jpg

20191110_170915.jpg

All buttoned up. Bucking a head wind at 5-8psi 1800 rpm. Picked up some bottom to midrange.  Spools quicker egt running 800-950 . 

Zeo cruise control surging.  Hy35 had alittle at same smarty settings.  May bump up to tm 5 see if it surges there. Still don't know max psi or what egt will do.

Also still need to lock down waste gate.  Cruised to boise hit a few lights in town from what I can see smoke is greatly reduced. Smarty is on sw9 tm4 timming2 duration4 

Power appears to be crisper through bottom and midrange boost building is no issue, under light throttle its lit by 1500rpm and raises just about as fast as the throttle is pressed seems to get 20psi very fast 

Will update more later

20191110_221023.jpg

Edited by Evan
  • Like 1

This is in city traffic then a quick stab in 3rd. Truck is empty feels like it lurches off the ground.  Crushing at 2000rpm in 3rd egt are below 500. I just put a turnbuckle on waste gate for now until I can figure where and how to mount actuator. 

• Like 1