• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

24 valve p pump

Ok I have fallen on quite a bit of misfortune in the last few weeks. I have a cummins 8.3isx engine that seized a bearing and blew a hole in the side of the block. I also have a 24 valve with a spent vp44. I am trying to find a way to make one running engine out of the two. Will the 8.3 with the mechanical pump have all of the parts I need to convert the 24 valve to a p pump? And no, i won't be keeping the engine, I will be selling it to purchase a 6.7 for the Chummy. I love my quad and do not want to convert the Chummy to mechanical gauges. Is it possible? 

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly? it’s a C series engine, while 12/24v are B series. But as long as the front gear housing would bolt up I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

Things that come to mind is if the pump is bolted higher in case and gear don’t contact, or something with the pump gear Itself being to big/small, cut differently. 

• Owner

Just remember you going to sacrifice street performance and MPG going to mechanical. I would personally keep the electronics and the VP44. There is no way you can get better street performance with static timing and old school technology. So far all the people here that I know that swapped out no longer drive the vehicle because of too many issues and ended up buying 4th gen to get away from the headaches. Then quit driving the truck because it got way expensive now guessing on how to fix the franken-truck.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

Here's a few links from a Google search. There's plenty more.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81139

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128604

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-24v-p-pump-conversion/1561586-8-3-cummins-ppump.html#/topics/1561586

Keep us posted if you decide to run with it, seems like a neat project if you can make it reliable. The only thing that I'd be concerned about is the static timing. I like me some dynamic timing. And the ability to make those adjustments on the fly. As far as reliability... My truck has already been pretty unreliable, so bring on the P-Pump haha.

Edited by kzimmer
  • Like 1

I p-pumped my 98 and it never gave me any trouble and got the best mpg after I hung that little 160 off the side. Only issue I had was my buddy wired up the fss to my ac and as soon as I hit ac the truck died. Truck had good road manors and ran just about the same power wise as it did with the edge comp and smarty. My truck was a 5 speed and the swap was fairly straight forward.