• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

'99 radiator drain 1/4 turn only?

Does the plastic radiator drain plug only turn 1/4 turn to open? Or does it screw all the way out?

My fluid looks clean ad green but 1/4 turn it doesnt drain..... I tried blowing air into it to clear anything . no luck.

Does it screw all the way out or just 1/4 turn... Dont want to break it... Dont remember this issue last time I replaced my coolent

any tips

PS does it turn 1/4 turn then you pull it straight back / out?

Thanks

Ok , I got it to pull out alittle and drained and flushed and refilled and changed the thermostate

Now it leaks it drips pretty good after I finally closed it and did the refill.... Does that drain plug come out all the way and is there a O ring that can be replaced?   If so does anyone know the size of the O ring?

Nothing about it in the big service manual

Please dont tell me to do a search if you dont know.... I cant ever find anything doing a search and cant do a search

Is there a O ring on the plug that can be replaced? Does the plug come completely out...?

I didnt want to break it but it did loosen up alittle when I drained the fluid

Google search shows the plug for sale online several places.... Called the local dodge dealer they have one Im going to go buy in the morning..... Dealer parts guy said it comes out and I can replace it.... Probably just needs a new O ring . but Ill buy the whole thing at the dealer

Any one else that has removed the plug and replaced the O ring feel free to reply

other google info

They take about a quarter turn and then pull straight out, another quarter turn and they will come out completely IIRC. Most try to unscrew it and break it all to hell.

The MOPAR radiator drain plug (petcock)part number is # 4644269 and available through a local dealer. However, the petcock is also marketed by Dorman as Dorman part # 61134. Advance and Autozone should have this available in their "Help" aisle..if not ask at the parts counter. NAPA should have it available as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-61134-HELP-Radiator-Drain/dp/B000C5E6QM

Auto parts stores dont list it. But I called back and gave the Dorman # 61134 and O rileys has it in stock under Dorman Parts... Cool !

a_20150924_1212524629.png

Edited by GSP7
  • Like 1

Google found this too , from this moparman forum

Ill get the plug at O Rileys instead of the stealer..... Napa has it to but they are too far away

I hope the plug pulls out easy in the morning... Its cold out there ..... Ill re drain my new coolant and then replace the plug and refill

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The stock is 1/4 turn then pull out and the another 1/4 turn to open. 

My new radiator is just a threaded plug in the radiator. 

Mike , Is your threaded plug better?

What kind of new radiator did you get, napa replacement or aftermarket custom ?

I used to live right by Champion radiators shop ... Nice custom aluminum radiators

Well I got a new Drain plug, Dorman #41134, Re drained the fluid. Old plug pulled right out at 180 degree turn.  Slopped some petroleum jelly on the new plug and a smear in the hole . New plug went right in. 

I had put a new 190 degree moto rad thermostat in. The old thermostat was actually broken cracked right through on one side of sensor side. No wonder it was acting like there was no thermostat at all.

I used 3 gallon of super tech antifreeze full strength and distilled water because house water is full of minerals . Manual says system is 6 gallons

Test drove about 25 miles..  Working good . Goes to 190 then cools alittle to about 180-185 and fluctuates  190- 185... thats ok..... No drain plug leak this time

Good to go......

8 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Just a cheap NAPA 120 dollar radiator. I think it was a spectra radiator. My factory blew the rubber seal. Repairable.

jusa cheap napa hunert twenty dollar radiator ?  Owweee...  where you fine dat ?

Midnight back door:think:

1 hour ago, GSP7 said:

jusa cheap napa hunert twenty dollar radiator ?  Owweee...  where you fine dat ?

Midnight back door:think:

You can by them right now for that if your'e not picky. Went this same route with a cheap one from AA or AZ 6 years or so ago and its still working fine. Only one I could find on a Sunday when OE let go on the interstate.

45 minutes ago, 98whitelightnin said:

Gotta look closely at the cheapos, some are only 2 core. I bought one from advanced a few years ago and it was a 2 core, returned it and got a 3 core murray from oreilly

post-10340-138698208882_thumb.jpg

Here is my OE. 2 core. The cheap one one has about the same mileage on it. 2 core also.

This is an 02, maybe the early models have 3, I dont know. The replacement wotks just like the OE.

Edited by dripley