• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Squeal/siren noise! Please help!!!

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

IR temp guns are much safer than getting burnt. Any drag will produce heat, heat is the change of work energy into heat energy. 

So does that mean all the brakes are sticking a little but the one? Or all are working correctly except the one that’s cold? I also noticed what looks like fluid all over the tire, brake fluid I’m guessing? Even tho reservoir is full? 

Sorry im pretty new to working on these and I’m just trying to figure things out 

Edited by ColoradoColt

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

Ok so is the brake fluid a dark color or black? Then you brake fluid is contaminated with water and rubber. Needs to be flushed out at every 30k miles. Here is my article on how to get the bleed done and clean the caliper. I don't have rear drum but it would be the same.

Fluid looks black in reservoir but is clear on my finger. Has not been changed in over 100,000 miles. Thanks for the help and the article 

• Owner

Brake fluid is not a life long fluid. It will absorb water over its life and reduced the boiling point of the brake fluid. As it continues to absorb water it will foul the rubber and cause it to degrade the rubber lines and rust the steel line from the insides. Bleeding will push all the trash into the calipers and wheel cylinder which is why you need to break it all down to clean the debris out as well. It will bind up caliper pistons. There is less than 0.001 space in some cases where the brake fluid has caked on to the pistons and jam them causing drag. 

Weird but true... Brake fluid, power steering fluid and coolant are the most forgotten fluids on vehicles. 

Sounds like your right rear wheel bearing seals are shot.  The gear oil from the axle has soaked the brake linings.  Oily brake linings don't provide the friction to make heat.  (that seems to be the one that is wrong, not the other 3)

You need to pull that rear drum off (I have not seen your year and whether a dualy or not) and see what is going on and fix it.  You need to check your differential fluid level also.

The amount of heat in the wheels after a drive should be proportional to how you drove it.  I can ride around for miles but if I have not used the brakes, the hubs will be cool to cold.  I can do a really short trip, but had to use the brakes a lot to go from road speed to a complete stop a couple times, and the rotors are too hot to touch.

Your hand is fine to use for measurement.  Just start closer to the tire and work towards the braking surface.  Don't go straight to the rotor (or at least spit on it first).  The fronts should be similar in heat and the rears should be similar (especially if you are disc/drum)  Front and rear could be totally different depending on your driving style, and rear drum adjustment.

HTH

Hag

Edited by Haggar
Added direct answer for right/wrong
  • Thanks 1

Noise has stopped! So the noise stopped a couple days ago and has no returned! I have no idea why either? 

Heres what happened....P.S. I’m not proud of what I did...

so I was driving to get onto the interstate. As I was pulling on this other 3rd  gen pulls into the right light blocking me in right at the end of the on ramp.

i gave it full throttle and whipped into the left lane, was doing about 55 when I floored it and 85-90 when I let off. Anyways. I stopped at a gas station down the road later and noticed no more noise! 

The noise has been getting worse everyday no matter how much I babied it. Until  I decide to bear her up a little and the noise goes away. Hasn’t been back. Any ideas?