• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Power Steering Fluid Leak

[I've been coming to this forum for years.  All my normal logins didn't seem to work, and neither did any attempts to reset passwords on any of the email addresses I use...  So, created a new account.  Or, maybe an account for the first time...]

2001 Ram.  Over 400K miles.  I just replaced the seals in my vacuum pump.  Put it back together, and now it appears my power steering fluid is leaking.  The leak seems to be coming from the side that faces the front of the truck (where it mounts to the vacuum pump).  I didn't think power steering fluid came out of the drive shaft that fits into the vacuum pump?  Thoughts?

Edited by cs15dah

• Owner
9 hours ago, cs15dah said:

[I've been coming to this forum for years.  All my normal logins didn't seem to work, and neither did any attempts to reset passwords on any of the email addresses I use...  So, created a new account.  Or, maybe an account for the first time...]

Get a hold of me I can fix that for ya.

9 hours ago, cs15dah said:

2001 Ram.  Over 400K miles.  I just replaced the seals in my vacuum pump.  Put it back together, and now it appears my power steering fluid is leaking.  The leak seems to be coming from the side that faces the front of the truck (where it mounts to the vacuum pump).  I didn't think power steering fluid came out of the drive shaft that fits into the vacuum pump?  Thoughts?

Reservoir seal. There is a o-ring to the reservoir simple to change but hard to get the o-ring. I ask a NAPA guy to help me out he ordered the pump and gave me the seal from the pump. You don't need to pull the pump. Just remove the hoses from the back. 2 bolts and the pressure fitting and the reservoir will slide right off. Watch there is 2 square cut seals for the bolt holes. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Get a hold of me I can fix that for ya.

Reservoir seal. There is a o-ring to the reservoir simple to change but hard to get the o-ring. I ask a NAPA guy to help me out he ordered the pump and gave me the seal from the pump. You don't need to pull the pump. Just remove the hoses from the back. 2 bolts and the pressure fitting and the reservoir will slide right off. Watch there is 2 square cut seals for the bolt holes. 

Okay, so maybe I’m not crazy! I was pretty sure I had a login here!! :)  I’ll submit a ticket. Thanks!

Didn't know the reservoir came off from that side. I’ll look at it later this week and see if I can see what you’re talking about. If I understand right, the reservoir will come off and the actual pump stays on the vacuum pump?

Holy hell, if the o-ring is that hard to find, I just might have to buy the whole pump. :(

Edited by cs15dah

• Owner
2 hours ago, cs15dah said:

Didn't know the reservoir came off from that side. I’ll look at it later this week and see if I can see what you’re talking about. If I understand right, the reservoir will come off and the actual pump stays on the vacuum pump?

Correct. The pump remains on the vacuum pump. Just the reservoir can is removed. 

2 hours ago, cs15dah said:

Holy hell, if the o-ring is that hard to find, I just might have to buy the whole pump.

You might ask @Blue-Top Steering if he can get them...

Awesome! I was hoping for that. Such a pain to remove the power steering pump with the vacuum pump attached. 

I wonder if this kit has a seal that’ll work?  https://www.autozone.com/external-engine/power-steering-pump-seal-kit/duralast-power-steering-pump-seal-kit-7918/21419_0_0

I’ll also reach out to Blue-Top Steering. Thanks for the lead!

Edited by cs15dah

13 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Hey, If you can give me O ring size and thickness I bet I can find a supplier here in Portland. There some real nuts and bolts businesses still around my area that can help.

Thanks JAG1. For $13 I’m going to try this kit from Autozone. If that doesn’t pan out, I’ll let you know.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

Hey some dang good hair brained ideas came from half nut job folks like us, especially Dieselfuture.:thumb1: 

Now I feel special :hug:and this is a special place for all special nuts with Moparmans basket that keeps all these nuts from going lost.

Not sure where I'm going with this, someone help...

• Like 1