• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil change interval

• Staff

It won't be long and it'll be that time. I recently bought this truck, previous owner used regular rotella. I am considering full synthetic rotella oil. In the manual it says 7500 miles between changes, would that extend if synthetic is used?

For those of you that run synthetic, what interval do you change yours? 

Just a curious question to see if the extra expense has more advantage than just better oil. Thanks 

I have run dino oil in mine since with good results but I am not knocking sythetics by any means and @AH64IDknows them well. It does not sound like you are hard yous with your use. Change mine anywhere from 7500 to 10000. A lot of highway miles on mine these days but idle alot also. Good oil and a good filter will treat you right. I ran Rotella for many years and for the past few Delo 400. I run this as filter. @AH64ID turned me onto these a while back. Not sure how they are with synthetic.

20180623_133059.jpg.19483f8832eabee9f438ef31031daee8.jpg

• Like 1

• Staff

That's the filter. It's not as easy to find, but they are around. I usually find the best price on Amazon these days and buy them by the pair. There is a pair on Amazon now for $27.  

If you don't want to spring for a oil analysis then dumping at 10K is not going to be an issue. 

• Staff

Oil analysis will tell you the health of the oil based on contaminants and oil life. You would need an analysis with TBN, as that's the oils ability to fight off the acids that are a byproduct of combustion. It's usable for gas too, just not as common. It's helpful when trying to establish extended oil drain intervals. 

Without an aux filter it's harder to sample. Some will change the oil and get a sample from the stream mid drain, others will use a siphon tube down the dipstick. 

You could also run a slightly higher quality full synthetic and just change it every 12 months, or 15K miles without analysis. Amsoil is what I run and change my oil every 12 months, but rarely hit 15K on it. Amsoil is an extended drain interval oil, so it doesn't need to be tested within their published extended drain intervals.

It just depends on the effort you want to put into it.... also nothing wrong with conventional oil and 7500-10000 mile dumps like @dripley does. I prefer synthetic myself, but lots of people just run what's cheapest. 

3 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

It just depends on the effort you want to put into it.... also nothing wrong with conventional oil and 7500-10000 mile dumps like @dripley does. I prefer synthetic myself, but lots of people just run what's cheapest

You calling me cheapskate? Super Tech is cheaper. :whistle:

Delo is about $1 gallon cheaper than Rotella, so maybe I am.

All in fun my friend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Staff
1 minute ago, Doubletrouble said:

One needs to save some where, maintenance can be expensive.

and time consuming. 

I spend more per oil change, but do them less frequently. All of my vehicles are on a 12 month OCI. Last time I did the math I spend less in the end, both in time and money. 

Heck the latest Cummins comes with a 12 month/15K mile OEM OCI, up from 6 months/15K miles... Personally I think they should have been at 12 months a long time ago. 

• Like 2

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Doubletrouble said:

My buddy has a 2013 with the 6.7 (he's the one that talked me into mine) and he changes his every 5000 I believe. I thought it was a bit excessive but it's his truck.

That is most likely excessive, unless that's over a 12 month interval. 

1 hour ago, AH64ID said:

and time consuming. 

I spend more per oil change, but do them less frequently. All of my vehicles are on a 12 month OCI. Last time I did the math I spend less in the end, both in time and money. 

Heck the latest Cummins comes with a 12 month/15K mile OEM OCI, up from 6 months/15K miles... Personally I think they should have been at 12 months a long time ago. 

That makes me feel better. I could never get a definate answer on the time part of it. People still seem stuck in the 3 month OR 3000 mile days. My truck only sees about 6k a year and I just couldn't see dumping oil twice a year so I've been doing once a year changes for a while now.

• Staff
7 hours ago, dave110 said:

That makes me feel better. I could never get a definate answer on the time part of it. People still seem stuck in the 3 month OR 3000 mile days. My truck only sees about 6k a year and I just couldn't see dumping oil twice a year so I've been doing once a year changes for a while now.

Perfect. 

Regardless of miles the oil will start to deteriorate it's TBN the first time it's used after changing. That continues even with the engine off, which is where the timeframe comes from. Without a UOA it's very important to change it once a year even if the miles are low. 

• Thanks 1