• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

upgrade HY 35 turbo to HX 35

Hx35 + rv275 no tuner 

HX35 + 100hp + Quadzilla 

Some get away with hx35 + 150hp + Quadzilla 

62/68/12 or 14 + 150hp to 250 hp + Quadzilla 

Something like that :2cents:

Your sig says needs a lot to upgrade so I'd think hx35 and a set of rv275 is up your alley for now. Need good fuel supply before you can really start pushing it, and if you keep pushing it you'll need studs too. Really depends on your long term goals. 

You don’t need to worry about head studs unless you get into the 400 + hp, I don’t think you will see a noticeable HP gain with the HX but will do better on egt’s compared to the HY, I agree with the above on the HX + rv275’s. without any supporting mods, especially if running a stock 47re, if so stay below 300 HP range. Your stock exhaust will be fine with the HX. 

• Like 1

You don't need mods for the exhaust for hx35 3" will be ok with mild upgrades. You'll need studs if you start pushing it. With hx35 you're not pushing it. HG will fail from age quicker then hx35. Now if you're drive pressure is way off it may help HG to fail sooner, but for that you'll need lots of fuel and timing. Which without tuner is not easy to accomplish. If you get a tuner Quadzilla with v2 tunenig is the way to go for vp44. Lots to do before then.

2 minutes ago, wagntagn said:

,I noticed 2 airline cracks on the exhaust manifold but no leaks is this normal?

Not normal, you'll be losing boost at some point. If you get a new manifold I'd suggest a stainless steel in one piece, don't fall for the 3 piece hipe. If you can get a great deal on 3 piece then go for it. My next manifold will be SS.

2 hours ago, wagntagn said:

Any special tools to do the injectors?There’s lots of different makes out there does it matter which ones.

Just make sure they are "new" Bosch injectors. You will need a boost fooler and elbow for best results.

I just made a round trip, 389 mile run with my '01 hauling a loader bucket both ways, probably about 8200 lbs total weight of the truck and got 19.16 mpg on winter fuel. This is with 285/75x16 tires and 300k miles on my RV injectors, set on level 5 with the Edge Juice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wagntagn said:

Any special tools to do the injectors?There’s lots of different makes out there does it matter which ones.

DAP is a good ource for injectors. New rv275 or remns. I have set of the remans in mine now nd they're working just fine. My fisrt RV275's were new ones and they were great to.

Nothing special in the way of tools is needed. There is a removal tool for the cross over tubes but it is not necessary. A small bladed screwdriver will pop them out.

23 minutes ago, wagntagn said:

What’s the boost cooler?

In OE trim the ecm will only allow about 20 psi of boost. It will set a trouble code and defuel the engine when you go over. The fooler fools the ecm into not seeing anything that high.

In oe trim the waste gate on the turbo opens near 20 psi to stop that from happening. You can build more boost with boost elbow that bleeds pressure off the waste gate so opens later. More air=more fuel=more power. Believe or not your fuel economy will helped unless you ride around with foot on the floor. If you just put the injectors in and remain stock you dont need one, but whats the fun in that.

I drove mine around for about 3 years with nothing but RV275's and it is a nice little bump power. You can try it out that way and see how you like it and if you want more you can ad a small tuner with the fooler built into it and get some more power. It all depends on how far you want to take it.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, wagntagn said:

I have the smarty I don’t think that one as the boost cooler?

I meant”fooler”.with the elbow how high will the boost pressure go?

The Smarty should boost fool. Do you have a boost gauge?

Different turbos are capable of different pressures. I know your HY, if you are still stock, is good to 30 to 32 psi. It will go higher but anything above that is detrimental.  My HX is good to around 34 psi. There is more to it than just the pressure and I am not the expert by any means on them. I would have to defer to more knowledgable.

10 minutes ago, wagntagn said:

I have a boost gauge with my HY I get 20 psi max.to get 32 psi I probably need the J hook .I can get a deal $580. Canadian for 6 injectors the make diesel USA??Any good?

You can get a new set of Bosch RV275's for for about $400 US. I know nothing about diesel USA.

You can put boost elbow on the waste gate to bleed pressure off so it opens later also.

You can get a brand new Holset for $500. It takes a bit more to spool than the HY but if you have a smarty you should be sble to work around it. It might even be better to go with injectors but thats above my pay grade. If you have goals for the HP you are looking for post that up. When this started I thought you were just looking for a small boost in power. 

How bout some more help here you guys. Getting out of my comfort zone.

6 hours ago, Blueox01 said:

Anyone ever upgrade to a HE351W, I'm told my PacBrake will bolt to the back and I have to "clock" the compressor housing to line up with IC plumbing.

Might help

Edited by dave110
  • Thanks 1