• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So I am finally going to drill and tap for a egt probe this week. My question is should I start the truck or just let er rip and use a pen magent after I get the hole drilled?  Wouldn't running the truck suck the shavings instead of blowing them out the hole?  Just wondering what's my best plan of action as to not cost myself more later?  I don't want to take the turbo off because I am sure the bolts will be wonderful to take off. 

• Like 1

While the running the engine will blow out the chips, drilling on top of a hot ,vibrating engine did not appeal to me. Here's what I did. My hole is where @015point9's diagram shows. I drilled my pilot hole almost but not quite through. Then the tap drill the same way. Now 90% of the chips are already cut before you break through. You have a little less the 1/4" to work with. Then I greased the drill bit and put my shop vac spout right at the hole and drilled the rest of the way through. I greased the tap also and ran the vac to catch all chips that I could. When done I stuck a pencil magnet in the hole like you mentioned and fished around. Very few chips got caught. This worked well for me.

• Like 2

Drilled mine with cold engine but running and greased drill bit, got everything ready then started it, took no time at all maybe 2 or 3 minutes, didn't even melt the grease. Exhaust back pressure blows the chips out no problem

Edited by wil440
  • Like 2

Couple of things to add

1. I very lightly centre dotted where I needed to be to give the drill some help on starting

2. I'd suggest making sure the drill you use is sharp but preferrably not been resharpened or at least resharpened in a machine and not by hand. It is very difficult to get the point centred when sharpening by hand, if it's off centred it will drill bigger. Truck running btw

• Like 2

Measured while off and cold.  Drilled while cold but running...no grease.  Started with real small pilot bit so that each following bit had constant air flow passing around it.  Smaller increment bit increases so all shavings remained very small and light and easily blown out.  Easy as pie. 

• Like 3

So I got it installed today. However when I started drilling either I moved the bit off the hole or I had it leaned over a little.  I removed a little extra material from the side of the hole that I didn't need to. I went and ahead drilled the hole and installed the probe. Everything else went smoothly.  Y'all think this is something to worry with or naw?  No exhaust leak or anything as of now.  I tried to post a picture but I can't from my phone.

Edited by Unreal Summit
  • Like 1

If the tap bit ok and actually tapped threads it will be fine, I used a little exhaust paste on mine to complete the seal

no leaky no problem

Edited by wil440
  • Like 1