• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Installed a new B/W K27 turbo for my '01.

4 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

https://mopar1973man.com/topic/17727-best-low-rpm-towing-turbo/?do=findComment&comment=231399

DAP, can you explain this post? How/why is the S200gxe a big upgrade over a K27?

The K27 specs appears to be this: 60/70/18......the s200 is this: 57/70/14.

I am not turbo literate, however, I was always under the impression the bigger the turbine housing the slower the spool and works better at high rpm with less drive pressure v/s the smaller housing. Yet, the K27 spools quick on my '01 and even seems to retain boost longer on an upshift than my oem HX35W. That tells me the center section including compressor and turbine wheels are heavier.

The K27 ads say it is an upgrade over the HX35 for those that need a direct bolt in with the direct exhaust brake mount, same as the s200.

It seems to be a fine turbo match for my '01, post 1 shows my power level. My EGT's are down some but not like I expected. Did I buy the wrong turbo? Is the s200 that much better?

Thanks, Nick

@dieselautopower. I would be interested in that my self beings I am turbo illiterate also.

• Like 1

The compressor dimensions are only part of the story.  There is tip height that is not included in many measurements.

In short the S200GXE is newer development and it was recently adapted to fit the Dodge application with some custom parts.

The s200GXE is not as well known.  It does have some smaller dimensions than the K27 but it flows more air.

The k27 does extremely well for high altitude and quick spooling.

Reasons why I like the s200GXE better:

S200GXE is newer technology

The s200  is rebuildable.

More parts for support (k27 is based off brazillian application and often has lead times and replacement parts not available)

S200GXE has 5 bolt flange for direct fitment on 98-02 24v.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

kinda like saying a 2L engine from 2000 should make the same hp as a 2L engine from 2020.  

Newer technology and design allows for higher output with the same size.   

that's a really rough statement but true.  Size isn't everything.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dieselautopower said:

The s200GXE is not as well known.  It does have some smaller dimensions than the K27 but it flows more air.

The k27 does extremely well for high altitude and quick spooling.

Thank you, I figured there was more to it than just some numbers, like A/R..jeeze, over my head. I do live at high elevation 5800' and travel to 8000' all the time. That is good to know about elevation. That must be why I like it so well because it works. 

If I ever wear it out I will check into the 200gxe, if something better hasn't come along:)

• Owner
53 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

kinda like saying a 2L engine from 2000 should make the same hp as a 2L engine from 2020.  

Newer technology and design allows for higher output with the same size.   

that's a really rough statement but true.  Size isn't everything.  

Again 5.9L Cummins 6BT from 1989 (160 HP 12 Valve) vs. 5.9L 6BT from 1998 (215 HP 12 Valve) Better technology, better power production. 

Like I said I know I'm not a great setup with HX35/40 Hybrid (60/60/12) but its bit better air flow vs the stock HX35W turbo (54/60/12) Does well in altitude been to 9,000 feet (empty truck) or 7,300 feet (towing trailers) no issues with EGT's so far.

17 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Again 5.9L Cummins 6BT from 1989 (160 HP 12 Valve) vs. 5.9L 6BT from 1998 (215 HP 12 Valve) Better technology, better power production. 

Like I said I know I'm not a great setup with HX35/40 Hybrid (60/60/12) but its bit better air flow vs the stock HX35W turbo (54/60/12) Does well in altitude been to 9,000 feet (empty truck) or 7,300 feet (towing trailers) no issues with EGT's so far.

Agreed-  part of the recipe for a high altitude turbo is a bigger compresor wheel and tighter exhaust or smaller turbine.

at sea level where  the air is denser (14.7psi vs 12.5 at 4500ft and lower at 7300ft) then the larger compressor wheel can contribute to higher drive pressure issues unless the exhaust side is also modified.

• Like 1