• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Installed a new B/W K27 turbo for my '01.

It was a direct bolt in like advertised for a stock truck with a direct mount exhaust brake. I did need to clock both housings and move the exhaust pipe back 3/4". I did a quick 1/2 mile shake down run to check for boost/exhaust leaks, all is well. The boost is preset at 26 psi, it was exact. What should I set it at, for 400hp? It dynos 400hp with RV injectors and the Edge Juice. They advertise 450 hp @ 40 psi. 

I will get a rebuild kit for the oem HX35W (340k miles) and save it for my '91. It has the stock HIC with a #16 turbine housing. It also has the direct mount exhaust brake.

0430201755a.jpg

0430201755.jpg

Edited by NIsaacs

• Owner
18 minutes ago, NIsaacs said:

The boost is preset at 26 psi, it was exact. What should I set it at, for 400hp? It dynos 400hp with RV injectors and the Edge Juice. They advertise 450 hp @ 40 psi. 

Typically it one pound of boost for every 10 horsepower. Roughly speaking.

• Like 1

Initial observation of the new turbo is it spools even quicker than the oem. The intake is quiet:( exhaust note is about the same. I read that one revolution of the waste gate adjustment equals 1 psi boost. Two turns gave me 28 psi, so I turned it three more and now I am at 31 psi. Not sure how much I really need, I am guessing about 34-35. Haven't pulled any significant grades yet. I like it.

• Staff

Looks great! 

For heavy pulling on what appear to be stock head bolts I’d set it around 33-35 and see what you get for EGT’s on grades. 

What where you making with the stock turbo? 

It is possible to increase airflow and reduce boost, so this turbo might move more air at a lower pressure. 

• Like 2

Thanks John, I was hoping you would chime in. My turbo knowledge is very limited. I don't understand all the sizes, shapes and configurations of stock v/s others.

Yes, stock head bolts and 33 psi stock. The egt's and coolant temps are/were bad. Full power/boost on a loaded grade will get me 1350 egt's in about a 1/4 of a mile. Then hold that, with the Juice defueling to my set 1350.

• Staff

33-35 psi from that turbo should be better than 33-35 psi from the stock turbo, I'd start there and see how it does. 

The compressor map shows that the K27 can push peak air, 52 lb/min, from a PR of 2.8 to 3.8, or 26 to 41 psi as sea level and 21 to 33 psi at 6,000 feet. 

• Like 1

I set it for 33 psi, that way I can compare turbos. Hauled a small load just now, about 18k, and on some rolling hills I hit it hard and the egt's seem to be about the same. It hit 1350 pretty quick, so maybe not much help in that department. I was at about 5800' elevation and 85*.

• 2 weeks later...

How are you liking the K27? I've been pondering about getting one since they came out but just haven't pulled the plug yet since I've been rehauling all of my interior / steering / suspension first. My truck now has a stock HY35, I know an HX35 is a good upgrade to the HY35 but I haven't been able to find one for a good price. 

So far I am liking it. Doesn't seem to help much in the EGT's but spools really quick and seems to hold boost longer on an upshift. I haven't pulled it hard on a long hill with a  heavy load yet. I am still running it set in the 33-34 psi range.  

• 2 months later...

Since the hot summer temps are here I have been running on level 3 on the Juice. It takes a long time to get the EGT's to 1300 now, so the new turbo seems to help some. I figured the larger turbine housing (18?) would cool the EGT's more and spool slower. The spool is quick, so maybe the 18 is matched with  better wheels...I don't savvy them much:)

What about aftermarket intake manifolds? Are the ads just marketing hype? They claim they are the best thing since sliced bread. I have been looking at this one:

https://www.dieselautopower.com/diesel-power-source-arctic-air-intake-manifold-int-man-24v

• Owner
5 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

ince the hot summer temps are here I have been running on level 3 on the Juice. It takes a long time to get the EGT's to 1300 now, so the new turbo seems to help some.

Problem is the Edge Juice is only going to set up for stock injectors timing wise. If you injectors are any larger than stock this is where the problem starts to grow. I was Edge Comp user for over 10 years. As injectors get bigger the timing needs to advance more. EGT's will get out of hand and smoke included. Since switch to Quadzilla EGT's are no longer an issue even with 500 HP roughly because of adjustable timing. I run  wide open on the Quad on towing tune and it really hard at 17,300 pounds on a 7% grade to even get close to 1,200*F with (7 x 0.010) injectors 150 HP cruise set for 65 MPH. My turbo might be a bit bigger on the compressor (60mm vs. 54mm)  but the rest is exactly the same as a stock HX35W. 

Just be aware of this limitation...

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

Intake elbow works great for common rail.  Not much of a restriction on the 24v vp44 powered trucks.

Tunnel ram would help more.

intake1 = 24v, 

2= aftermarket elbow

3= 3rd gen

Restriction is due to the way they bolt onto the intake plenum.

Biggest restrictions will be intake filter, intake plenum (not elbow) too small of wastegate, small turbine housing and small turbine wheel on stock turbo.

24vintake.jpg

4443ceec.jpg

pics are from DTR

Edited by dieselautopower
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Me78569 said:

intakes wont do much on a stockish level truck.  

Mine is not stock but DAP answered the question pretty good. My son swears by them but his were/are all 3rd & 4th gens. The pictures tell the story. I wonder if the 2nd gen don't need it, why the ads and all the intakes built for them....

This is copy and paste from the ad in the link for 2nd gens.

"On a stock engine expect to see anywhere from 15 to 25 more horsepower. Modified engines will benefit further. This will make for better power, fuel mileage, spool-up and cooler EGT"

DAP, thank you for the response! I guess I will look for something that does work:)

Its eye candy.  

Not interested in selling the illusion of power.  We want to get you parts that will make a difference.  We want to consult with our customers and help find out what their needs are.  Wants are ok too! (nobody NEEDS a 600HP truck !!)

Edited by dieselautopower
  • Like 1

• Owner

Matter of fact I just talked to a gent this morning about his 03 Dodge and his 04 Dodge with the same intake horn. Those are choked compared to the 2nd Gen that flow thru fine. 

36 minutes ago, dieselautopower said:

Wants are ok too! (nobody NEEDS a 600HP truck !!)

I must be OK being I'm only a 500 HP truck right? :lmao:

6 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

. My turbo might be a bit bigger on the compressor (60mm vs. 54mm)  but the rest is exactly the same as a stock HX35W. 

Just be aware of this limitation...

Do I understand the K27 # as this....60/70/18?

Copy and paste from the K27 description:

"The K27 is capable of supporting up to 400HP. It features a 60/83.7mm Forged Milled Wheel (FMW) 7/7-blade design compressor to resist low- and high-cycle fatigue. The turbine is a quick-response, 70/58.83mm 12 blade advanced design cast in Inconel and provides great backpressure control. The turbine housing is a twin-volute, single-valve wastegate housing with 18.2cm2 nozzle area and an adjustable wastegate actuator that is preset at 1.8bar."

I might have been better off with this one:

https://www.dieselautopower.com/s200gx-e-dodge-ram-upgrade-turbo-12769880001

• Like 1

https://mopar1973man.com/topic/17727-best-low-rpm-towing-turbo/?do=findComment&comment=231399

DAP, can you explain this post? How/why is the S200gxe a big upgrade over a K27?

The K27 specs appears to be this: 60/70/18......the s200 is this: 57/70/14.

I am not turbo literate, however, I was always under the impression the bigger the turbine housing the slower the spool and works better at high rpm with less drive pressure v/s the smaller housing. Yet, the K27 spools quick on my '01 and even seems to retain boost longer on an upshift than my oem HX35W. That tells me the center section including compressor and turbine wheels are heavier.

The K27 ads say it is an upgrade over the HX35 for those that need a direct bolt in with the direct exhaust brake mount, same as the s200.

It seems to be a fine turbo match for my '01, post 1 shows my power level. My EGT's are down some but not like I expected. Did I buy the wrong turbo? Is the s200 that much better?

Thanks, Nick