• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ok so here it goes. Bought my first cummins back in January,  2001 24v totally stock with an edge comp box. It had a bad oil leak so i tried to wash off the crud to help locate the leak ( yeah i know bad idea ) got side tracked and didn't mess with the truck for almost a week. When i did get back to it, it was a no start so i put a code reader on it an got a laundry list of codes. Long story short i came to the conclusion that it was the ecm, so i replaced it. Installed it, truck runs but if you touch to go pedal it dies instantly. Sent it to the shop. Replacd injection pump, lift pump, cam sensor and fixed the tappet cover leak. Still same problem. Sent ecm back thinking it was bad, got it back reinstalled it truck ran fine for 5 minutes and then back to original problem. Anyone have any ideas. I'm stumped ,shop is scratching their heads

Edited by wrench bender
More info on truck

1 hour ago, wrench bender said:

Ok so here it goes. Bought my first cummins back in January,  2001 24v totally stock with an edge comp box. It had a bad oil leak so i tried to wash off the crud to help locate the leak ( yeah i know bad idea ) got side tracked and didn't mess with the truck for almost a week. When i did get back to it, it was a no start so i put a code reader on it an got a laundry list of codes. Long story short i came to the conclusion that it was the ecm, so i replaced it. Installed it, truck runs but if you touch to go pedal it dies instantly. Sent it to the shop. Replacd injection pump, lift pump, cam sensor and fixed the tappet cover leak. Still same problem. Sent ecm back thinking it was bad, got it back reinstalled it truck ran fine for 5 minutes and then back to original problem. Anyone have any ideas. I'm stumped ,shop is scratching their heads

maybe the tank  sump is clogged, but not enough to cause a no start  

If you are still getting the 1689 code, you can try running through this for testing the ECM to injection pump comms.

my bet is you got water somewhere it wasn't supposed to be and now you have corrosion that is hampering the connection.  When you pull the connectors for the ECM and injection pump put a little dielectric grease on them when you plug them back in to prevent any future corrosion on them.  You already replaced the ECM and the injection pump so it can't really be much else for 1689...

• Like 2

I pulled apart every connection i could find right after the no start. All plugs were clean and dry.  Shop says they load tested all the wires in the ecm connector. I will ask if they have checked the fuel pressure since the new pumps were installed and if the code came back. I'll let you know what they say 

P 1689 code is still there. truck still idles but dies when the throttle is pressed. Sometimes if you're really light on the pedal it will rev a little bit  and then die. If you get off the pedal fast enough it will just stumble and return to idle

that's the testing that led me the replace the ecm in the beginning and the shop say the load tested the whole ecm plug.

Talked the the mechanic today, asked about taking the ecm and pcm to cummins (about an hour away) to have them verify that they are good.

I still think it is a computer issue, but the customer service is crap for the company i used. They don't answer the phone, don't return calls and barely respond to emails. I'm not even sure i would get it back it sent it back to them again.