• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Best injector for "MY" truck?

A little history...('01 HO) I ran an Edge EZ and RV 275 injectors for 12 years, no issues. Then 5 years ago I installed the Edge Juice with the same original RV injectors, now I have EGT's and coolant temp issues. It dyno's 400/900, I don't want to loose that. Please don't recommend Quad, I can just barely use my cell phone. The RV injectors are 17 years old and have 315k miles on them. I am now getting a hard overnight start with 1/2 tank of fuel, no problem with above that. So I am due for new ones and connector tubes. Here is my question:

If I go back to stock injectors and use the juice on a higher setting, will I keep my power and drop EGT/coolant temps? In the summer I run level 3 and winter level 5. I never use level 6, however with stock injectors it might be an option.

Or, larger injectors, say 75-125 hp and a lower setting on the juice, say level 1 or 2. Will that keep power up and temps down?

Or go with RV's again and just continue to drive by my right  foot. My clutch and turbo will not support anymore power, nor am I looking for more, just want to keep it at 400/900.

Edited by NIsaacs

• Owner

Injectors are only good for 100k miles. Maybe 150k miles. Those are completely shot. 

2 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

If I go back to stock injectors and use the juice on a higher setting, will I keep my power and drop EGT/coolant temps?

No. Injectors are wasted. That why the heat. The injector pop pressure fell below minimum pressure long time ago like 200k miles ago. 

Even my OEM stock went 150k miles but when I had them tested by DAP my OEM stock at 150k miles where at 260 bar. The minimum bar is 293 bar.

13 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

If you just add +10 HP to it and went with +50HP injectors are going to more available. RV275s are in short supply because of the COVID shut down.

Yes, they asked me about them but with new Bosch bodies they were more money. If custom injectors are only good for 100k miles I don't think I want them. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 6:33 AM, NIsaacs said:

If custom injectors are only good for 100k miles

I was under the impression that ALL injectors have lifetime of 100-150k miles.  Does Bosch use better internals, etc. to make them last a little longer?  These are questions I have before buying new injectors.  25-30k miles of extra life will buy me another year between replacements.

The injectors I changed HAD to have been original with ~280k miles, and when put on the tester a couple of them didn't get to 100 Bar!  And, spray patterns were garbage.  However, driving it I really couldn't tell they were bad, neither could the local and well-respected diesel mechanic.  Not new, certainly, but no idea they were that bad off.  Those were changed before EGT gauge, so no idea how hot I was running.

• Owner

No. Bosch injectors have shorter life span. This why I shifted to custom build and up the pop pressure to enhance the lifespan. 100k to 150k max for Bosch. Then on top none of them are flow matched and none are check for margins. Just 6 random picked injectors.

At least all custom injectors are flow matched for volume and for pressure. Like mine are within 3% but pressure and flow.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

all custom injectors are flow matched for volume and for pressure. Like mine are within 3% but pressure and flow

Whoah!  Well, that certainly sells me on the idea of buying from @dieselautopower vs. building.  I bought the adapter a couple of years ago and my dad has a pressure tester, but fidgeting around with shims and springs, or whatever, with non-matched nozzles (or would they be?) sounds like a good recipe for a quick trip to the nut-house. Thanks for educating me on this.

19 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

No. Bosch injectors have shorter life span. This why I shifted to custom build and up the pop pressure to enhance the lifespan. 

You moved to custom because oem doesn't offer 150hp. I would also suspect that higher pop pressure than oem "might" be hard on VP's. If oem is so bad, how is it that they go thousands of hours in ag/industrial equipment all over the world? In general, they can go until engine overhaul. How many millions of trucks are/were on the road since diesel was invented. Those guys are not changing out injectors every 150k miles.

If you want to stay on top of your injectors because you like to have 100% as much as possible, that's totally fine, but to suggest it is required....

• Like 2

• Owner
21 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

"lifespan" is in the eye of the person saying it. 

Actually lifespan is what the pop tester shows. If you have Bosch OEM injector (Stock that came with my truck in 2002) now pop test 150 miles later and find the injector is under by 30 bar.

Right out of the Dodge FSM...

fuel-pressure-specs.jpg

4,250 PSI is equal to 293 bar

4,500 PSI is equal to 310 bar

4,750 PSI is equal to 327 bar.

I'm set for 320 bar. Still under the spec. Once to dive under 290 or 280 the spray pattern gets rather large droplets and the efficiency is gone for the most part you can see a drop in MPG's. Even my stock injectors after 150k miles pop tested by DAP were at 260 bar after mere 150k miles. Well below the minimum pop pressure of 293 bar.

Just like @pepsi71ocean he had a set of injectors after 28k miles lost 10 bar and put him at 280 bar. Started causing stalling issues. 

Like @Me78569 and a few other found after 330 bar it can cause hard starting in sub zero. At 320 bat I've had ZERO issue with hard starting all the way down to -40*F in New Meadows winter. MPG has been good. Then the engine load I'm low of 7 to 9% current. Still got lots of life in these injectors.

Like @Ethan Shepherd when I installed a injection pump in his truck its got a 180k (some odd) miles and the injectors are wasted. The idle is 900 RPM and engine load is ZERO. The ECM can no longer defuel enough to get the idle down to 800 RPM.

Like another member in Ontario, OR he's got about 150k miles on his truck and the engine load is ZERO. The idle RPM is 825 he just starting to lose the idle hold and the pop pressure has finally fallen enough to raise idle slightly. 

About 100k to 150k it seems to start loosing the idle control and pop pressure is below 293 bar. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I am totally fine with DAP 50hp injectors in my '91, it don't get many miles and choice is limited.

The RV275 hp/660 tq Cummins engine in the RV industry has been a solid performer. New Bosch oem RV275 injectors are Cummins approved and have served me well. In general you can't go wrong with oem. I will wait for them.

Yesterday, I hauled 5 heavy loads, 10 hours, never shut the truck off, it is like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps on a tickin!!

On 8/27/2020 at 4:10 AM, NIsaacs said:

f you want to stay on top of your injectors because you like to have 100% as much as possible, that's totally fine, but to suggest it is required....

I never had the OEM injectors pop tested or spray pattern tested.  I replaced them at 303,000 miles with RV275's.  The OEM's still performed fine - good fuel mileage, no hard starts, and no abnormal EGT's when towing (the last 50,000 miles with Smarty S03).

I am not discounting what others are saying about higher horse power injectors, but I intend to run the RV275's for more than 150,000 miles.

The photo below shows the OEM injectors at 303,000 miles.

- John

190558789_OEMInjectors(1).jpg.677f19d2f0317683948b20f2e142a7f2.jpg

9 hours ago, LorenS said:

Completely off topic, but @NIsaacs, what are persons from your town called?  Like "New Yorkers", or "Kansas Citians".

Nothing special comes to mind, just Arizonans mostly, same as most Arizona residents.

A man named Snow and another one named Flake founded it so Snowflake came about.

Not many Snow's around now but still a lot of Flake's.

• Haha 1