• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Sheared fan pulley bolts???

So I pulled into the driveway on lunch and noticed my thermostat was at 240°f. I shut the truck down and pop the hood to see if anything was out of the ordinary. Then I noticed the belt was off all chewed up so I went to the parts store grabbed another belt going to put it on and notice the pulley was wobbling. So I started thinking where in the hell did my bolts go!?!? And that's when it struck me..... I realized the bigger question was how the hell do I get this fan off this bracket that I have now remove as a complete unit from my engine:lmao::think:

8 hours ago, BrokeAssPainter said:

So I pulled into the driveway on lunch and noticed my thermostat was at 240°f. I shut the truck down and pop the hood to see if anything was out of the ordinary. Then I noticed the belt was off all chewed up so I went to the parts store grabbed another belt going to put it on and notice the pulley was wobbling. So I started thinking where in the hell did my bolts go!?!? And that's when it struck me..... I realized the bigger question was how the hell do I get this fan off this bracket that I have now remove as a complete unit from my engine:lmao::think:

IIRC you need a special wrench to get the fan off.  Never taken mine off except as an assembly.

Id take the fan pully and place it where the bolt bolts where, weld in place. It’s a 36mm wrench for the clutch, and use either a big pipe wrench, or a strap wrench to hold the pulley in place. 

if you take off the fan mounting bracket bolts you can shave down a wrench and get to the one behind the pulley I believe, then just work it off a little bit while pulling the hub off so you have room. 

Mine did something very similar when it was wrecked years ago. I just bought new bolts at the hardware store and locktited them. They are supposed to have something on them from what I remember.

My question, why do you need to remove the fan? The bolts are able to be accessed with it in place. Welding the pulley in place it only going to make future work harder. When I removed my cooling fan, It required a vise mounted to a truck, a 6 foot cheater pipe, and a torch.