• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Code questions

I have searched some but maybe don't how to do it properly since I couldn't get answers I am looking for.  Forgive me if I'm just not smart enough to get them.  Anyway,  I recently had codes 1693, 0500, 1694, 1698 pop up.  I had not yet done the WT mod even though I have been trying to get it done for quite some time.  Life gets in the way with some travel and serious AO health issues.  Some of that relates to not having much strength or energy. 

The tach would drop out and come back for awhile and then drop again.  Cleared codes and 1694 and 1698 came back.  Cleared again and 1698 was back.  Did the WT mods and put a fuse in the blue wire to PCM.  I had checked AC voltage about a year ago and it was .03.   Checked it before I did mod and it was .14.  After mod it was .013.  Cleared codes, drove it a few miles and no codes returned.  Pulled my toyhauler to Gee Creek rest stop on I-5 to dump my tanks and 4 same original codes popped up.  Other than tach dropping out again rig runs fine.

So I am guessing my PCM is one the way out.  Is that probably a good assumption?  Can I keep driving it for now or will it leave me dead in the water someplace?  I know there is a list of rebuilders which I have not yet looked for but where is best place to get it rebuilt at this point?

Thanks for any help on this.  Stay safe!!!

Thank you.  I will do that.

1 minute ago, IBMobile said:

Start by checking continuity in the wires and speed sensor at rear diff.   At the ABS controller it would be the red/violet and white/violet wires.  There should be low ohms resistance.  

Thank you.  I will do that.  I didn't do the quote and it merged the post.  Not sure how to delete that.

33 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

I deleted my post because, after thinking more about it, your speedo still works and a problem with those wires/sensor would also effect it. 

Oh, OK.  I'm fairly good at a lot of things with vehicles but electrical stuff is not one of them. 

• Owner

Basically the P1698 and the P1694 are both CCD Network errors. Need to check the CCD network voltage for 2.49 and 2.51 volts when the computer are not talking. Pin 3 and 11 to ground.

Reasons for failure...

• Bus Shorted to Battery

• Bus Shorted to 5 Volts

• Bus Shorted to Ground

• Bus (+) Shorted to Bus (–)

• Bus (–) and Bus (+) Open

• Bus (+) Open

• Bus (–) Open

• No Bus Bias

• Bus Bias Level Too High

• Bus Bias Level Too Low

• No Bus Termination

• Not Receiving Bus Messages Correctly

REMEMBER the instrument cluster is what sets the bus bias voltage. 

ccd network wiring

14 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

No not the injection pump,  Check Pin 3 (vio/brn wire) and pin 11 (wht/blk wire) in the data link connector at the left bottom of dash.

Don't know why I put IP other than I meant instrument panel.  LOL  Thanks, this is very helpful.  Raining like heck now but will try to get that done if there is break in the rain.

Edited by Russ Roth

4 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Thanks for looking but that is the OBD port.  I found the pinout for the one I need in FSM.  If I read it right and actually got the correct pins i got no voltage at all when checked them.  Good or bad?  What does this mean and what next?  Thanks for any help.  Usually I don't need to ask much but electric stuff is a killer for me.  Still raining but I'm at least dry and warm.  Thanks.

22 hours ago, Russ Roth said:

Thanks for looking but that is the OBD port.  I found the pinout for the one I need in FSM.  If I read it right and actually got the correct pins i got no voltage at all when checked them.  Good or bad?  What does this mean and what next?  Thanks for any help.  Usually I don't need to ask much but electric stuff is a killer for me.  Still raining but I'm at least dry and warm.  Thanks.

A lot of us have the same disease. I am not afraid to take my whole truck apart. But if there is a wire attached to something it freaks me out. I have to replace my drivers fender and I cant wait to have the PDC in my hand with all its wires. Oh joy.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dripley said:

A lot of us have the same disease. I am not afraid to take my whole truck apart. But if there is a wire attached to something it freaks me out. I have to replace my drivers fender and I cant wait to have the PDC in my hand with all its wires. Oh joy.

What happened to your fender

4 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

What happened to your fender

Some of us might remember when my truck tried to eat a BMW. Took a pretty good bite out of it.

20170331_191903.jpg.313faa906b7a3ad279123944cb3a686a.jpg

And if you look closely at the fender right at the crease in the silver portion is the start of a rust hole that has since made its way to a finger sized whole. I picked up a rust free fender a few months back. Just need to paint and find the time to swap it in. This was a bad day at Chick fil A. 

Of course I could let it get to a beer can size repair, I know a guy in Iowa that is skilled in that art.

• Haha 1

• Owner

I'm too embarrassed to admit I've dropped a tree on my truck about 4 years after buying the truck. I've got that all fixed. Then after MoparMom pasted away I had to stop by and pay the bill for cremation. Then my truck breaks the parking brake cable and then rolls into a 4th gen truck. Denting the rear passenger side, cracking my taillight and adding a few more dents to the tailgate. One day soon maybe I'll get the insurance company to fix it. 

Got room behind that couch? :sofa: 

• Like 1