• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Anyone enabled the ecm high idle lately?

• Staff

Was wondering if anyone has enabled the high idle feature in their ecm lately. I know you have to take it to a dealer or find someone with a smarty to get it done. Mainly wondering what a dealer might charge. Thinking I'd like to get this done at some point but a little afraid of what a dealer may charge me. 

I've been on and off if work lately due to a torn meniscus in my right knee so kinda pinching pennies at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

Can you still rent a smarty?

What he said, used to be $50 torrent at dap. You pay full price for smarty and when you return it they refund money but keep 50 not sure how it is now. I've been wanting to do this for a long time but been using quad high idle so far.

• Staff

I looked at dap, now they're like $550 to rent then they refund the $500. They really should explain that better though. It's unclear in the description.

I'll have to call around, we have a few dodge dealers in the area I can try.

It would be nice to have this feature enabled for those cold nights when I get done at work. Sometimes truck will sit there til 4-6am I work a 12 hours shift roughly. So it sits out without the block heater plugged in that whole time. Seems to take awhile to warm up.

10 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

Sounds like they want at least 1 hour labor.  What part of the country is this in.  $160 is what high end luxury dealers charge around here.

Southern Idaho. It is one of the biggest dodge dealers in my area so that might be part of the issue but I also haven’t tried anywhere else. 

• Staff

Call around, talk to the service department.  You'll probably talk to a service writer.   Ask how much to do it, what there labor rate is.  will they do it for less.  A half hour of labor is fair.   Thursday and Friday are usually the days with the lest amount of work so they may take you in at a reduced rate so the mechanic has something to do.   The week between Christmas and New Years is generally a busy time for them.

• Like 1