• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What triggers the oil light to come on?

So we have an oil pressure gauge, which I just replaced the switch for, that's buried in under the fuel filter etc.

Is there a different sensor for oil level that triggers the oil light to come on?  I'm thinking I would like to refresh that with a new one if there is.

Thanks again for all your help, wisdom and especially all the silliness.

1 minute ago, IBMobile said:

The  only sensor for oil level is the oil dip stick.  No need to replace. 

Thanks lol

So what you're saying is that I am the oil level sensor :-)  Kinda like the way I am the dishwasher.

But still what does that oil light tell us if it ever comes on.  I don't have it on or anything, I'm just wondering.  Is it just an ornament? 

in the late 01's and all of 02 it is really just a switch that comes on around 6 psi near as can find anyway. Then one of the computers takes over and moves the needle based on rpm and coolant temp. It does a good job. Fooled me for many years. Prior to this there was a real sensor that read oil pressure. I would think the check gauges light would come on if it drops to low pretty much like an idiot light.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

You should get a “check gauges” if the oil pressure drops below 6 psi. On a 3rd gen it takes 30 seconds below 6 psi, not sure on a 2nd gen. 

So that’s a sort of wild-card something’s wrong light lol.

Just now, AH64ID said:

Honestly it’s more of a “time for a new engine” light. Minimum pressure is 10 psi at idle... so if the light is on for a lack on oil pressure a rebuild isn’t far off. 

Yea but that light can be triggered by more than one cause.  But if your oil pressure is too low, that's a sad day.

• Like 1