• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Weird Electric issues

• Owner

I've got a 2006 Dodge ram here with some very strange issues electrically. All stems around the headlights and turn signals and the multi-function switch. If you turn the right turn on it actually does light the right turn signal. Now turn on the left and the right is flashing. Turn on the hazards and only the right is flashing. Now turn on the head light there is zero headlight but markers and fog lamps. Try hi or lo beam it will flash for a brief moment but turn on the wipers and spray the windshield. Can't get hi wipers at all only lo. Now what did I do so far...

• Changed the multi-function switch - Same issue
  • Pulled my 2006 Dodge TIPM and swapped it - Still the same problem (Testing with my own TIPM module which works)

Its like the CANBus is getting the wrong message from the multi-function switch. There is only 5 wires coming and going to the mult-function switch. I did find someone badly made headlight bypass relay. Pull all that and return to the factory wiring and got headlights for a short time only on HI beams only. by the time I pull the column apart twice I lost the heads a second time. The owner has brand new LED headlight bulbs which I've seen but hi and lo beam work. Still might get a quick flash when you pull the stalk back but wiper and spray come on. No I did accidently roll the wiper knob on or push the end of the knob in for spray. 

Make matter worse I've still got his other 2002 Dodge here waiting for a injection pump to come back from the rebuilder. He's got zero vehicle running now. Any info to help out here would be welcomed. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Staff

I can only guess, but I would be pulling the headlight switch to wiggle jiggle wires / fool with it for a clue it not there. First I would look for a problem at the 7 pin trailer connector and  grounding issues elsewhere as well. Could be something in the splicing of the turn and tail lights from when they installed he flatbed. For an indication how well previous work was done look for a grounding strap that bonds the cab and bed, it needs to be there.

Conditions like these indicate that anything you do to cleaning grounds/ connections will be an improvement

Edited by JAG1

I was amazed by how many issues a bad ground and poor wiring caused with my chevy. Opposite side flashing, or not at all, reverse lights lighting up when hitting the brakes, lights going dim when hitting the brake ect... Didn't have issues with the headlights though, but, different system in my case. 

I tend to agree with JAG1 in that case. 

I have fought the lighting electrical issues on an 06 jeep before. I feel for ya.

• Thanks 1

• Owner

All that was done. Just to point out this is a customers truck and I've already swapped my TIPM module on his truck to verify any kind of change. Nope no change. Pull the dash and removed the headlight switch. Wiggled wires nope. Again this entire circuit is not voltage switch like old school but a digital signal sent to the TIPM to turn out which device. When you have a dimmer switch that turns on the wipers and sprays the windshield when your trying to dimmer the HI beam when they worked. It like all the digital messgaes are screwed up and calling for the wrong things like left turn signal is turning on the right turn signal. Then headlights should come on without the key but in this case you need the key on. 

• Left turn signal givens right turn signal
  • Dimmer switch gives passing light flash (hi beam) but includes the wiper and spraying
  • Hazards only flash the right turn signal. 
  • Wipers don't have hi speed on low speed. 
  • Right turn signal is right. (Correct)

It's not a wire connection but a digital signal issue. The mutlifunction switch is only FIVE wires. Not like the older second gens with way more wiring. 

On 1/25/2021 at 11:13 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

All that was done. Just to point out this is a customers truck and I've already swapped my TIPM module on his truck to verify any kind of change. Nope no change. Pull the dash and removed the headlight switch. Wiggled wires nope. Again this entire circuit is not voltage switch like old school but a digital signal sent to the TIPM to turn out which device. When you have a dimmer switch that turns on the wipers and sprays the windshield when your trying to dimmer the HI beam when they worked. It like all the digital messgaes are screwed up and calling for the wrong things like left turn signal is turning on the right turn signal. Then headlights should come on without the key but in this case you need the key on. 

• Left turn signal givens right turn signal
  • Dimmer switch gives passing light flash (hi beam) but includes the wiper and spraying
  • Hazards only flash the right turn signal. 
  • Wipers don't have hi speed on low speed. 
  • Right turn signal is right. (Correct)

It's not a wire connection but a digital signal issue. The mutlifunction switch is only FIVE wires. Not like the older second gens with way more wiring. 

I know mines a 2nd gen but when my multi function switch went wacky I could flip on the high beams and the wipers would move a couple inches or so.

• Owner

Already replaced the multifunction switch too. It's only a 5 wire connection again all the information is digital or voltage based like our cruise control. This is all ran on the CANBus not a switch like our trucks. The only thing that translates the signal is the TIPM and I swapped with my 2006 Dodge and got the same results as listed above. 

• Owner
20 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

Sounds very unlikely but is it possible a few wires got pulled from a plug and criss crossed somehow by the PO?

Nope. Like I said its just a 5 pin plug. It's all CANBus controlled out to the TIPM.

Part image

Not like the older 2nd gen. You can see that older generation is all switches. Where the 3rd Gen is all CANBus controlled. 

Part image

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Weird.

The only other thing I can think of, is if someone had re-pinned the wiring connector (highly unlikely), but it could be a wiring issue between the TIPM and the steering column.

I just re-read @Mopar1973Man initial post regarding testing his 2006 TIPM and had the same results with no changes.

If his TIPM is the same part number as the subject truck's, then I'd think it would have the same firmware flashed in it, if they are the same trim level pickup, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Edited by 01_Cummins_4x4
  • Like 1