• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

that's pretty sweet. I hope to get some sort of power upgrading this year, sometime, like an Adrenaline, or the likes. Not trying to make a pulling truck or anything, just want a little more towing ooompfff..

Make sure to get a good shift kit / valve body if your an auto !!! :thumbup2:

Have to leave that part to John since he took it back home :lol:

Hmm, I just found this which might be better than anything John can get since the wastegate is down on the bottom engine side of the turbo.

Posted Image

in regards to poping the turbo due to over boost.. How high can it go before it pops.. I just installed the tst powermax and the j hook and on level 9 i hit 40psi on the stock turbo.. Just for a spit secound it was there. I dont wanna have to replace it.. So any help would be great. Thanks

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/turbo_faq.htm

FWIW: The HY-35 and HX-35 are functionally equivalent under most engine loads, and the wastegates on both turbos are set for the same boost level. The HY-35 does not breathe as well as the HX-35 at higher speeds under a heavy load. The choke point of the HX35 is around 35psi; the HY35 chokes at about 29psi.

--- Update to the previous post...

and

The HX-35 and HY-35 turbochargers are rated for a maximum boost of 44 PSI. To safely reach 44 PSI, the turbine housing MUST be sized to keep the choke point above 40 PSI. The 12 cm2 housing chokes at about 32 PSI and the 9 cm2 single port housing chokes at somewhere below 30 PSI, so be careful about pushing the stock turbocharger beyond 30 PSI!

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update - am loving my $3 turnbuckle - best mod on my truck for the bang or buck. FUN: I can punch it at a light - and my boost keeps up with me and now my EGT's at full throttle barely hit 900 - stock injectors (RV275's are off for now) ..................... previously would peg 1100 at least. Boost used to be 21 - now hit around 28-30. Can really hear the turbo above 23 :) TOWING: When I need to downshift as my EGT's are too hot - I can accelerate in the higher gear and my boost again hits 28 and my egt's are no longer a concern. Passed 3 semis comming into AZ ....... we got stuck around 35 mph - and I was out of lockup .... so TC was starting to do some work and heat in tranny ......... just punched on it a little ----- bootst went up, egts came down and I hit 40mph and passed back into lockup ............... which then cooled my tranny down again ~15 degrees !! nice

Ran my Hy35 for atleast 2 years with the turn buckle and never had any problems with it. I would get in the neighborhood of 30 -32 psi max. stepped up to the HX35 cause I found one on the cheap. I'm running from 35 - 40 psi now. Not much over the hy but just that little bit. It was explaind to me that a good rule of thumb is for every pound of boost you produce you get 10 hp. so you can roughly estimate your Hp by multiplying you current boost by 10 and that is what your pulling roughly!!! You don't have to worry about the engine too much unless your pushing between 50 and 60 psi. at that pressure you start blowing head gaskets. To overcome that you Oring the heads and block and use studs for extra clamping power. Then you can push upwards of 100 psi of boost. That's when you really need to hold on ROFLMAO!!!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

so i installed one....now how tight do you tighten it?just to where it is lose and then when it starts to get tight stop...or does a person need to put a wrench on it and snug it up a little?:drool:

Just snug it up to where it won't fall off. Overly snug is fine too, yes a wrench, just snug it up so it never moves.

My truck is still pretty new to me. The other day I was snooping around under the hood (cold motor) & saw the linkage rod that runs from the actuator to the waste gate bell crank. I grabbed it & tried to move it, pulling on it toward the front of the truck without any success - felt like it may be seized up. I don't know if it has thrown any codes (no reader yet) - there is no check engine light illuminated. Should I be able to move it by hand? Was I trying to move it the wrong direction? Should I pull the turbo assy off & free it up?Thanks,Joe in St Louis