• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Door speakers

The thing about the 880prs and 80prs pioneers is the adjustments. 32 band eq, built in crossovers, etc. Very good for tuning the system to fit whatever vehicle they are in. I don't like the looks of the 80prs but on paper it looks to be as good as the 880prs. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Gregturley said:

The thing about the 880prs and 80prs pioneers is the adjustments. 32 band eq, built in crossovers, etc. Very good for tuning the system to fit whatever vehicle they are in. I don't like the looks of the 80prs but on paper it looks to be as good as the 880prs. 

I am not a radio guy but trust your opinion on the pioneer units. Crutchfield offers the 60 day MBGuarantee, so if the alpine isn’t what I hope it is, I will likely return it and buy the 80prs pioneer from them. I am truly looking for Bluetooth more than anything, so if the alpine connects quickly and doesn’t drop I think I will be happy. I appreciate your input though. I do have an older 68 c10 I am building that I might go the pioneer route on. 

@Red Rambler cruthfield is a great place to do research. Their prices can be a little high. I use them mostly as an info site then buy elsewhere online. Sorry, but I'm usually 99.8% sure of what i want before i order it and cant see giving crutchfield $50-$100 on stereo equipment. I just make sure the place i order from has good reviews and use a credit card for the purchase protection the cc company gives you.

I attempted to upgrade mine a little a while ago and still not impressed.

The kenwood deck was in when I bought last year along with 6x9 Kenwood's and factory rear speakers, it's plenty loud but just sounded tinny.

I replaced front with some pyle's thinking it might help.. nope.

Then I installed a blaupunkt 4 channel amp thinking those 6x9's needed more power, makes it louder but still tinny.

Next I lined the front doors with some dynamat type stuff I got at home Depot, maybe helped a little?

BTW, I don't have pillar speakers.

Really starting to wonder if it's the head unit? As much as I try to adjust I just can't get any decent bass or "rich" sounding music, (not sure about the terminology?) especially at low volume. I think my Buick's factory radio sounds better.

I'm thinking about replacing rear one's with some mid bass components?

I'm not really interested in one of those subwoofer boxes that take up the whole rear floor.

Very frustrating! I'm not really a audio fanatic, would just like a decent sounding stereo and don't want to spend a bunch.

Not sure that's possible anymore?

I remember as a kid in the '70s I had a better sounding 8 track deck and "power booster" for about $50 LOL!

Screenshot_20210310-144629_copy_576x1248.jpg.9a7dbf0853228b7f8a5a5ad4346ff3e3.jpgScreenshot_20210310-144404_copy_576x1248.jpg.e0063120fbcf3ac1a82dc322ce79d126.jpgIMG_20210310_190755_copy_1200x1600.jpg.8f60e4db7ec634a68a4ebb7e9889fa8a.jpg

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

If you looking for more bass you going to have to consider getting like rear speakers like a couple of 8" bass speakers in boxes.

image.png

Right, I get it, just seems like there would be a way to get some out of the door speakers?

My son's '98 sounds pretty good, has no amp and a different double din head unit.

14 hours ago, dieseldon said:

"rich" sounding music, (not sure about the terminology?

Rich sounding music is relative to your definition, however, with the Polks, they are very clear IMO, and I am not getting any distortion like I was before with stock speakers, when all 4 decided to work at once. Are you getting a lot of distortion? 

Edited by Red Rambler

5 minutes ago, Red Rambler said:

Rich sounding music is relative to your definition, however, with the Polks, they are very clear IMO, and I am not getting any distortion like I was before with stock speakers, when all 4 decided to work at once. Are you getting a lot of distortion? 

Not a lot of distortion, just a cheap tinny sound and can't seem to adjust to my liking, if I turn it up to concert level it's not too bad but I don't want to listen it that loud.

Today I installed my radio and amp, but still waiting on my ANL 40 amp fuse to be delivered. Couldn’t find one locally. I used a metra wiring adapter so I didn’t have to cut any factory wiring. I wired mine just like @IBMobile did except I used a new head unit. Once I got the plugs out of the back of my radio. The colors were of course not a direct match. The metra harness was wired 100% correct, but I had to verify and found the below website with the correct colors for wiring. Maybe help somebody someday. 

https://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/DCP/PDF/327009.pdf

Edited by Red Rambler

• Owner
On 3/13/2021 at 8:00 PM, Red Rambler said:

but still waiting on my ANL 40 amp fuse to be delivered.

Make sure to order a extra fuse. I've got no access to any ANL fuses locally and have to order them as well. Hence why for the W-T ground mod I did the circuit breaker being if you blow a fuse I don't want to wait WEEKS for a fuse to be ordered.

34 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Make sure to order a extra fuse. I've got no access to any ANL fuses locally and have to order them as well. Hence why for the W-T ground mod I did the circuit breaker being if you blow a fuse I don't want to wait WEEKS for a fuse to be ordered.

Thanks for the reminder, I ordered a 10 pack of the fuses. I found a fuse holder locally, but it was for the glass fuses which I would have never found locally. Amazon is my go to place. 

• Like 1

I replaced all speakers with inexpensive but decent Pioneer speakers and ran new monster cables with a new deck and the sound is very good. This Sony is great and with good mounting of the head unit the screen doesn't bounce or shake at all. The radio gets the best radio reception I've heard. Added a reverse camera too. It is a 9" screen in a single DIN chassis with no mechanics to go wrong and leaves access to everything, unlike a flip up screen that we had before.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XHYC2YW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20201212_152616_resized.jpg

Edited by Eric H.
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Eric H. said:

I replaced all speakers with inexpensive but decent Pioneer speakers and ran new monster cables with a new deck and the sound is very good. This Sony is great and with good mounting of the head unit the screen doesn't bounce or shake at all. The radio gets the best radio reception I've heard. Added a reverse camera too. It is a 9" screen in a single DIN chassis with no mechanics to go wrong and leaves access to everything, unlike a flip up screen that we had before.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XHYC2YW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20201212_152616_resized.jpg

Looks like a good option if you want the screen option. Pretty big screen for a single din. 

3 hours ago, dieseldon said:

I'm sure that's nice, but $600!

I was thinking about getting this one, and comes with a camera.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07VGR5Z4R/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=AZV2Q3JGU683F&psc=1

I can't speak for any no name brands but the quality difference between other name brand and no name electronics is usually pretty significant. Personally, if I only had under $200 to spend on a head unit, I would get a single DIN name brand without the screen.