• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2002 24V Rough idle when warm

3 minutes ago, Krlspokane12 said:

So here's a thought, could I hot wire the VP and see if that changes the idle?  Wouldn't that eliminate the ECM from being the issue? 

Yes I believe so. 

It sounds like you got electrical gremlins, maybe some ground slices are weak, losing 5 volt reference. Some models had issues with oil senders shorting out internally and messing with 5 volt reference so other sensors go nuts. Not sure on years from top of my head but worth looking into. If you did WT mod you got most of ground splices, but there is more, in wiring harness close to ecm there is a splice that I need to still get done myself and by passenger battery few quick connects that could lose connection. 

I'm just throwing ideas out, shouldn't cost much but time to get done.

Do the VP Hotwire test on warm engine at operating temp when you are experiencing the rough idle. I  would do the WT ground just because, it may or may not help your issue now but while your at it pull all your connections like the firewall plugs and big black and white plug in the PDC, look for any damaged or corroded pins, clean with contact cleaner, do not use dielectric greese.  

It does sound like your loosing communication somewhere being it clears up when you put it in gear,  If hot wire test clears up idle it may confirm ecm or electrical problem 

So, im putting a breakout box on the truck Tuesday. So, if it runs perfectly with the break out box on, what should I look at next ECM? I don't know what else it could be at that point...??  Alternatively, if it runs like **** it has to be either the vp or injectors.....correct or could it be something else??

Edited by Krlspokane12

Should I pull those ddp injectors and reset them? They are all (double checked) set at 290 bar, I know that's low but it what they called for them to be set at.  It might help a little bit, but I had the prior dap injectors set at 315 and it still ran like s**t but not nearly as bad 

• Owner
21 hours ago, Krlspokane12 said:

Should I pull those ddp injectors and reset them? They are all (double checked) set at 290 bar, I know that's low but it what they called for them to be set at.  It might help a little bit, but I had the prior dap injectors set at 315 and it still ran like s**t but not nearly as bad 

Stock minimum is 293 bar with the high end at 327 bar.

fuel-pressure-specs.jpg

So it's not injectors now move to checking the VP44.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Yup. In the years I've been buying DAP injection pumps and installing in customers rigs, I've only got ONE pump that was bad out of the box. It had a instant P1689 code and if you touched the throttle it jumped to 1,500 RPM and that's it. Normally all VP44 pump have to make the grade on a Bosch 815 test stand to get the new PSG programmed and flashed it. Takes roughly 3 hours on the Bosch 815 test stand per pump. Asked DAP for RMA to get the replacement and BAM! after being installed its was back to normal again.

This happened to me last summer a matter of fact I managed to punch the fan on the engine trying break loose the pump gear puller. So be careful too...

Bad VP44 pump and split my finger open (pretty bad), and to be starting the COVID-19 pandemic locally... 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

We will see tomorrow when i put the breakout box on it.  Hopefully its a bad pump and i can just get it warrantied.  I don't think that the injectors are the entire problem since it ran crappy with both the DAP's and DDP's.   would it be worth it to set the POP pressure higher on the DDP regardless of a pump issue? 

2 hours ago, Krlspokane12 said:

would it be worth it to set the POP pressure higher on the DDP regardless of a pump issue? 

I would think so, but I would not do it until you figure out the main problem. Change one thing at a time so you're not guessing. 

• Owner

Like I said before the P1693 doesn't exist by itself. Injectors can run poorly when they are popped below 300 bar. Typically around 280 bar it get like a misfire and rough idle. Now in a bit of studying I've done on injectors you can lose up to 5 to 10 bar within the first 25k to 50k miles. As the parts settle and wear in the pop pressure always drops a bit.