• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see you lurking about Mopar1973Man.Com reading articles and reading other member's posts. Are you trying to solve a problem with your Dodge / Ram Turbo Diesel Cummins? We have lots of helpful members and staff on the Mopar1973Man.Com and are willing to give guidance on how to fix or improve your truck. You know when you see good valued information here on Mopar1973Man.Com. We are not corporate owned like many of the other websites out there. Like Cummins Forum (VerticalScope Inc.). Mopar1973Man.Com is entirely privately owned and operated since 2004. Your subscription funds goes towards server maintenance and software maintenance. We happen to be one of the most friendliest and helpful websites for Cummins Owners in the world. Come join us and register and then pick a subscription plan

Was looking to replace the intermediate steering shaft on my '02 Ram 2500. All the adds state that their shafts fit 4WD but my rig is 2WD.
Anyone know for sure if they're the same. I'll list a Dorman shaft I found on 1A Auto: DORMAN Lower Intermediate Steering Shaft: 425-264.

I'm aware I can go to a Borgeson but am going to stick with a stock shaft. 

I'd say if you have a computer handy to see if a search through the parts list on this site shows a difference between 2WD vs. 4WD. I'd help right now, but it's hard for me to read it on my phone, and it's a big file to download!

Edited by LorenS

IBMobile....thanks, that's what I was looking for. I'm going to have to call one of these online places as they just don't seem to list a shaft for 2WD rigs.

Thanks again.

I wonder if it's just a matter of taking a 4WD version and chopping off a couple inches. Would be a different part number, but basically the same thing. Certainly worth asking the suppliers!

Mopar1973Man "people miss the fact we have all the part books here" . Missed it completely...thanks for the reminder.

Anyone have any tips/tricks to replacing this shaft? Never done one but it looks pretty straightforward. Just purchased the Rock Solid steering column bushing upgrade: http://rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/. Figured while I had the steering shaft off why not fix that issue too. 

My truck doesn't really "wander" all that much but it annoys the crap out of me. With new tires, shocks, front bearing/hub assembly, tie rod ends and upper/lower ball joints you would think the damn thing would track straight down the road. If the steering shaft and bushing don't fix it we're off to Red Head for a rebuild on the box. 

Well, got the intermediate steering column out and installed the new column bushing from http://rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/. The OEM bearing that was pulled to install the new bushing was shot so this should help right off the bat. Good news though, I don't need a new intermediate shaft. "U" Joints on both ends were tight and the thing had no play anywhere.

It's going back in tomorrow and I'll post the results.

BTW, doing this job with the column still in the truck was a PITA. You're constantly working around the brake master cylinder and the rest of the Anti-Lock plumbing and I could only get my left hand down there to work (I'm right handed!). Would have been much easier to pull the whole column out of the cab and do the repair on the bench. Anyway, it's done!

18 minutes ago, MikeH said:

BTW, doing this job with the column still in the truck was a PITA.

I did mine when I had the head off, my bearing wasn't bad but I figured why not. Not saying taking head of is the way to do it :lmao:did my tappet cover at same time too, two for one :gun:

I was actually surprised you needed the shaft, can't say I've heard of too many changing them. 

• Board Of Directors
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, dripley said:

I have a Blue Top on the way right now. My next weekend schedule is set right now.

I put in a RedHead steering gear just to be contrary and that way I can keep track of how long its holds up compared to Blue Top. It might stay good for a long time.... I'll be reporting on that when I'm hundred an eight hopefully.

You don't have to pay tax on your Social security after 100 yrs old so I hope I make it.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 2

Got everything back together today and went out for a test drive. I'd say the new bushing from http://rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/ cleaned up 80% or more of my problem. The OEM column bearing was trashed. I also took up a quarter turn on the sector shaft nut (be careful here... see dodge service bulletins tsb 19-10-97) which tightened up some of the steering slop.

Overall the rig drives much better and just has a tighter feel. Well worth the ~$60 bucks from Dave at RockSolid.

Next on my bucket list is sway bar end links and bushings front and rear!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, JAG1 said:

I put in a RedHead steering gear just to be contrary and that way I can keep track of how long its holds up compared to Blue Top. It might stay good for a long time.... I'll be reporting on that when I'm hundred an eight hopefully.

You don't have to pay tax on your Social security after 100 yrs old so I hope I make it.

Well maybe we can see how they compare then. Ryan had many good reviews and some bad like everyone does. Dont know how you sort all of that out sometimes. Just make your and live with it I guess. Could have got a life time warranty Dorman for a lot less money but I dont want to have to do this 2 or 3 times to get it right. We shall see. But I did get 525k out of the OE so I think I am ahead of the game no matter how it goes.

NC does not tax SS benefits. And If I am reading everything right withdrawals from my 401k is not countable income towards whether or not you pay taxes on your SS income. Hope I am seeing that right. The 401k withdrawals are taxable themselves though. Thought democrats just might find a way to tax it all before I turn 100. Of course by then they will have to dig me up!!! Hell they just might do it.

1 hour ago, MikeH said:

Got everything back together today and went out for a test drive. I'd say the new bushing from http://rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/ cleaned up 80% or more of my problem. The OEM column bearing was trashed. I also took up a quarter turn on the sector shaft nut (be careful here... see dodge service bulletins tsb 19-10-97) which tightened up some of the steering slop.

Overall the rig drives much better and just has a tighter feel. Well worth the ~$60 bucks from Dave at RockSolid.

Next on my bucket list is sway bar end links and bushings front and rear!

Glad you got it all together. I have never had any reason to think my bearing is bad. Not sound out of it ever. So I hope I dont need to do that one. Only time will tell. Got some play but my money is on the gear and a track bar showing signs of wear. Tie rod end getting some play in it.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Board Of Directors

Nice State Dripley not to tax SS. The Redhead steering gear is doing well after a couple months. It is their standard stock replacement with some impressive upgrades over the parts store units that cost so much less. There's no leaks so far and steers very well. My OE only went around 230,000 miles.

I will have to check my steering shaft for side to side play like you guys.