• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1998.5 Cummins 24v disc brake conversion issues

I swapped my ram over to disc brakes 3months ago I also replaced the Master Cylinder and Hydro booster and replaced all the lines, calipers, rotors and pads at the same time . After a week the hydrobooster blew out the accumulator seal and I lost all my power steering fluid in about 2mins. I warrantied it out and replaced it and I couldn't get a good pedal what so ever ,so I bought a oem  master and hydrobooster. I installed them yesterday and I still can get a good pedal after bleeding it. If I pump the brakes a few times it has full power but after driving it a few feet afterwards it loses pressure. Should I replace that power steering pump, or is there something else I should do. Everything worked like a dream before the booster blew.

I'd be checking the relief valve in the back of the PS pump, mine stuck open slightly and caused the power steering and brakes to have very little power at all, could be possible that yours the first time stuck shut (max pressure) Or it was just time for the hydroboost to leak, this time on your truck it does seem like the valve is sticking.

I actually replaced my PS pump with a reconditioned unit  BEFORE the valve stuck, on inspection it hadn't been replaced as it hadn't done anywhere near the amount of miles to get scored like it was, I polished it with very fine wet and dry and it's never stuck since, I also did the valve mod thats on here somewhere which intails drilling out the small delivery hole a little but I had a spare valve anyway that I could use if things went pear shaped,  I wouldn't recommend the valve mod unless another valve is on hand.

Valve is on the back of the pump under where the pressure line connects, just disconnect the pressure line and then the bigger boss it screws into is the valve, remove that and you will see the small nut with a filter inside, clean the filter as that can cause bad steering, then check the actual valve.