• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need to order a new turbo for 05, but which one!!

smokeythedodge

Need some help. My friend has gone through 2 stock turbos on his 05, he has a leadfoot and barks the turbo all the time. Both failures have been the shaft shearing from barking it. So what would be a good replacement turbo for a an entirely stock truck with maybe an edge juice plug in module for power adder?? Need to order tonight, so any help would be great!

The stock turbos on the CR's are really good turbos, Get another and tell him to alter his driving foot control habits and turn the Edge down a bit.:banghead:

--- Update to the previous post...

If he want to go to a different turbo the next best thing is to swap it over to a second gen 24v exh manifold and put an S300 based turbo on it and replumb the intake tubing. This is what many people are doing as the 24v parts are more widely available and most times cheaper and it also raises the turbo up from the lower position it sit on the stock CR and out of the elemnts from the opening in the wheel well and get it up higher just like the 2nd gens were. also need to go with a second gen down pipe. In the long run it would be worth the trouble in my opinion if he wants to hot rod it.

The stock turbos on the CR's are really good turbos, Get another and tell him to alter his driving foot control habits and turn the Edge down a bit.:banghead:

--- Update to the previous post...

If he want to go to a different turbo the next best thing is to swap it over to a second gen 24v exh manifold and put an S300 based turbo on it and replumb the intake tubing. This is what many people are doing as the 24v parts are more widely available and most times cheaper and it also raises the turbo up from the lower position it sit on the stock CR and out of the elemnts from the opening in the wheel well and get it up higher just like the 2nd gens were. also need to go with a second gen down pipe. In the long run it would be worth the trouble in my opinion if he wants to hot rod it.

Excellent info again. I will pass that along and find out what he wants to do. I suspect he will not alter his driving habits... He has already shelled a couple transmissions and various other expensive parts of the engine and drivetrain. He is on a mission to destroy it when he drives it :rolleyes:

From what I know and read the stock CR with electronic fueling/timing enhancements really like the 62mm size turbos as they spool up close to what stock turbos do where as they can be a bit laggy on some 24v 2nd gens.

Excellent. So would an s300 be a direct replacement?? Or would he need to change manifolds or downpipes??

Excellent. So would an s300 be a direct replacement?? Or would he need to change manifolds or downpipes??

Either or. Most all aftermarket turbos are the schweitzer borg warner s300 platform. some of the newer turbos are the s330 but the s300 come in either the cr or 24v setup, there are many sizes and variations of it. Direct answer. It would be a direct replacement if he stayed with a cr style turbo or if he wanted to swap to a 24v 2nd gen setup then he would need to swap manifold and downpipe and repipe the intake tubing to fit the to the airfilter and to the aftercooler.

If he doesn't alter his driving style, it won't matter what turbo he has on the truck IMHO!!!!:smart: Sounds like he lives at home and the parents pay for everything, or he has more $$$$ than brains!!!! Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome??!!!:banghead::banghead:

If he doesn't alter his driving style, it won't matter what turbo he has on the truck IMHO!!!!:smart: Sounds like he lives at home and the parents pay for everything, or he has more $$$$ than brains!!!! Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome??!!!:banghead::banghead:

Yup, that is actually 100% the situation. Very good guesser you are! They pay for more than everything he needs, gave him land, paid to have a house built as well as a 60x 120 x 16 shop building full of toys, bought him the truck brand new in 05 our junior year of high school. Makes me sick, I can't keep my stuff running and I drive like a grandma. It was really a nice truck for about 3 or 4 months before he just absolutely annihilated the drivetrain. I can't count how many times they have rebuilt and replaced the 48re. He stacks pressure boxes and wonders why he has been through 3 sets of injectors in 130,000 miles and melted pistons a couple times. It is on engine number 3!!!!! If you rode with him you wouldn't believe a person would treat a vehicle like he does. It is foot to the firewall black smoke rolling everywhere he goes. He does brake stands and neutral drops for fun at stoplights. LOVES to "show off" how cool he is by driving fast and treating it like a pile of junk then moans and complains when it breaks.

• Owner

Yup, that is actually 100% the situation. Very good guesser you are! They pay for more than everything he needs, gave him land, paid to have a house built as well as a 60x 120 x 16 shop building full of toys, bought him the truck brand new in 05 our junior year of high school. Makes me sick, I can't keep my stuff running and I drive like a grandma. It was really a nice truck for about 3 or 4 months before he just absolutely annihilated the drivetrain. I can't count how many times they have rebuilt and replaced the 48re. He stacks pressure boxes and wonders why he has been through 3 sets of injectors in 130,000 miles and melted pistons a couple times. It is on engine number 3!!!!! If you rode with him you wouldn't believe a person would treat a vehicle like he does. It is foot to the firewall black smoke rolling everywhere he goes. He does brake stands and neutral drops for fun at stoplights. LOVES to "show off" how cool he is by driving fast and treating it like a pile of junk then moans and complains when it breaks.

(shaking my head)... :rolleyes: When the money runs out and no one is there to pay for the toyz he might change his ways...