• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rino lining or line x rocker panels and outside lip of wheel wells

I see those big rubber / plastic cover things over the wheel well are they any good. They look nice.

Bushwacker fender flares    Rivet or smooth.   Do they keep the sides protected from rocks etc no whopper  tires for me.  Promised my wife I would keep this one stock out of the box

• Owner

I had mud flaps on my truck but I pulled them since it was piling the mud up between the flap and fender metal. Now add salt it will start to rot the metal pretty quick. Also the flaps did not do much for keeping stuff from hitting the bottom bed metal. The flaps would have to be long enough that they just about drag the ground. My 2006 has long flap they work pretty good but looking in the mirror those pull back pretty good in the wind.

2 hours ago, Turbo Terry said:

So who makes the best front and rear flaps that  go  just behind  the tire  on the wheel well to keep the road rash off the  lower part of the  truck.  A must have here 

Why not just spray some type of badliner on bottom of the truck, I ended up doing that after changing cab corners and some rockers. Just used cheaper stuff in a can easy to touch up when need to. I really don't care about shine and appearance anymore, I go fo longevity these days.

• Like 1

• Staff
9 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The flaps would have to be long enough that they just about drag the ground. My 2006 has long flap they work pretty good but looking in the mirror those pull back pretty good in the wind.

You could put weights on the bottom of the flap to keep them from sailing like that. They also make brackets to hold them that goes from top to bottom. The weights do a pretty good job. Like those chrome naked ladies you see on big trucks, those aren't just for looks. They're made of steel and have some weight to them to help hold the flap down in the wind.

Of course as fast as mike drives he may need concrete blocks hanging off them. 🤣

• Owner
3 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

Of course as fast as mike drives he may need concrete blocks hanging off them. 🤣

Nope. Thor (2006 Dodge) I typically am about 2 to 5 under speed limit. (Speedometer is off) Not to mention the "The Last Job I'll Ever Need" I need to drive super slow in that neighborhood and make ZERO noise. The well to do neighborhoods are very touchy about loud diesel trucks. As for my 2002 it just sitting here parked most days. 

Try again... :tongue:

As for rust control the best thing I do is keep the vehicle washed down keeping the mud and salt washed off frequently. The longer mud is in contact with body metal the quicker the body starts to rust.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

@Mopar1973Man, I hope the 2002 doesn't get jealous of you spending so much time with Thor.. :lol:

As for the topic at hand, @Turbo Terry, what is your intent with doing the bedlined wheel wells? Looks? Also you are asking about fender flares with the Bushwhackers. 

If you are asking if the bed lining is a replacement for them , I'd say it depends on what you are needing them for.

- If you are doing it to keep wide tires under a fender, then no, bed liner won't work its only about a 1/4 inch thick.

- If you are doing it to keep rust at bay then you need to do a lot more than just the lip of the fender well. Like @Dieselfuture said, they (fenders) rot from the inside out. The plastic        fender liners that come factory in my opinion dont help because they trap sand/salt/water, and because a Cummins vibrates, it "microsands" through the paint and metal. 

On 6/9/2021 at 10:44 PM, Turbo Terry said:

I see those big rubber / plastic cover things over the wheel well are they any good. They look nice.

Bushwacker fender flares    Rivet or smooth.   Do they keep the sides protected from rocks etc no whopper  tires for me.  Promised my wife I would keep this one stock out of the box

Fender flares and, by extension, mud flaps trap water and sand behind them. I'm not a fan of fender flares in general. Jeeps are known for having the fenders rot out behind the flares. But since it stays out of sight until the rot goes beyond the flare or the flare falls off from no support, it looks pristine. 

Bed liner on the bottom would be the best in my opinion to keep some of the road rash away. But if you don't prep the surface right, or get rid of the rust, you are gonna have a bed liner skin with nothing behind it. Or it's going to start chipping/flaking bed liner off. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

For whatever reason, it keeps flipping the picture upside down, but oh well20210721_162806.jpg.731a51567919c463fcd57f45f0347970.jpg

I did mine about 8 years ago, line x, with the protective uv coating. It's held up well for the most part, but the prep work is definitely a must.

I had them redo a bunch of it last year because they didn't do a good job of prep work (the plastic cap along the fender well for the liner, they just went right over it instead of removing it to spray to the metal. But they fixed it free. Ended up having to peel it all off to do it right. The guy even said he remebers the truck, and that they've come along way since then, and that they used to cut corners.....really?? Make sure to check it periodically along the top and bottom to make sure it is not peeling away from the metal of the truck. Mine was also doing this in spots along the wheel well. 

If you have them do it, ask about warranty, and what they do for prep.

The store near me is lifetime warranty, but the one in Spokane is not.

• Like 2

• Staff
On 6/17/2021 at 5:51 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Absolutely correct about fender flares. It does promote rotting of the fender metals.

When I first got my 01 for a work truck I took those off first thing esp, since I live in rain country

My clients appreciate my quieter stock exhaust too. 

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1