• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My first explosive tire failure!

• Staff
On 8/7/2021 at 11:11 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Back to stock size. 265/70 R17 on 2010 Mopar factory steel wheels. Thor has new shoes to run the pavement and back roads! I've got a few studs to replace and I need to order up a set of stock lug nuts. Then I can put the center caps on as well. I did find a eBay seller that had factory 1/2 x 20 bulge lug nuts full set of 32 lugs for mere $20 dollars. 

20210807_120534.jpg

Now to ditch that stupid 2 inch leveling kit next. The front is higher than the rear. Being all the steel tools in back is squatting

During the install I had 4 lugs that absolutely ruined the studs and then broke one on the driver side rear. . 

Don't be parkin' my future truck next to that wall if you please. 

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

@Mopar1973Man with that truck each time you go into town you haul up another load of stackable blocks from Mutual Materials for your new wall. There are some nice looking walls/ styles engineered for varying heights for holding back the bank. Tell them height of the bank your holding and they can help.

• Owner

Every since changing back to the stock tires. The MPG is improving quite a bit. I drove from Riggins up to Donnelly Idaho and rat raced around for over 200 miles when I got home. I only used a 1/4 tank. Typically I'm already near 1/2 tank. The odometer is now correct and with stock tires size and the MPG number is improving. Just checking the final ratio it nearly the same as what I got on the 2002 Dodge. Right there at 3.73 final ratio is powerful and pulls way better. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Staff

Glad to hear it’s improving! There is something to be said for rotating mass, and those speeds you drive at are great for the G56 and 3.73’s. 

I wouldn’t call it quite the same as the 02 thou. Final drive ratio on the 02 is 2.66 vs 2.95 on the 06. The 06 is nearly 11% lower.

If you’re talking the “effective” final drive which includes the tires, which is within 1%.

This doesn’t account for rotating mass thou. 

On 8/6/2021 at 8:27 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

One day I'll get smart and keep a jack on the truck

Last year I bought a jack/stand combo unit. Has a bottle jack inside of the jack stand, and you can release the pressure in the the bottle. As safe as a jack stand, and just as stable.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/powerbuilt-3-ton-all-in-one-jack

Edited by LorenS
Add link
  • Like 3

• Owner

350 miles to half tank of fuel sitting right at 19.9 MPG on the overhead trip computer. 

17 hours ago, LorenS said:

Last year I bought a jack/stand combo unit. Has a bottle jack inside of the jack stand, and you can release the pressure in the the bottle. As safe as a jack stand, and just as stable.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/powerbuilt-3-ton-all-in-one-jack

Only problem I would need at least two jack stands and the a free jack for other reasons. That is cool though!

• Staff
3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

350 miles to half tank of fuel sitting right at 19.9 MPG on the overhead trip computer. 

Sounds about right. Typical 3rd Gen error is in the 15-20% range, with stock injectors. Larger injectors and it’s a much bigger error since more fuel flows than the ECM thinks. 

• Staff

+50’s typically net a 20% error, similar to high milage stock injectors. 

The OEM lie-o-meter was probably the worst of all generations for the 04.5-07 5.9. I’m guessing it’s from errors in the duration table. I was able to get my new BBi Stage 1’s within 10% for a few years but it grew back to 15% with some miles on them. 

• Owner

So the over head was 20.3 MPG, after filling up today it...

517 miles / 30.084 Gallons = 17.19 MPG

This is way better than last week with the old tires. 

420 miles / 30.505 Gallons = 13.77 MPG

Stock sized tires and stock steel wheels are a winner in my book since I ditch the Fuel 18 inch wheels. 

Hankook AT2 265/70 R17 - $985 dollars worth of tires.

20210812_132550.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I would need at least two jack stands and the a free jack for other reasons

I get it. I bought it purely for changing tires. The POS that comes with the truck may be okay if you get a flat on a bowling lane, billiard table, or skating rink.

10 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I need to hit the scales now with all the tools. I remember just the truck and flat bed was 10,200 pounds but that was years ago.

I don't think so on the springs. I'll check when I get home.

17 mpg is good for a heavy truck that is going uphill all the time, Lol  My guess is, your new tires are already maxed out on your rear axle, it looks heavy. Do you tow very often?

For the Cooper AT3, going to a 275/65/18 would add 220 lbs per tire of capacity, but would be 0.42" taller.

Surely the Hankook 18s are similar, the 265/70/17 ratings I found were same as Cooper at 3195 lbs.

Maybe for a truck that heavy the 19.5" (or 17.5" if you can find them in an all-terrain) tires would ride okay. At over 10k empty, that's getting into 4500 territory, and I think they come with 19.5s. SRW commercial wheels may be $$$$$ though!