• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rear Seal for NV5600

I dont know why Im having so much problem finding the right seal. I went to napa and they gave me a 22049, I should have known better cause it popped out in 3 miles, to easy to drive in. So I go to Aline and he couldnt find anything for a nv5600, he had a seal for a 5 speed so I put it in and it leaks, I put another one in because I didnt lube the seal thinking running it dry may have caused it. Nope, it leaks too. The original seal was a 33029 and cant find that seal anywhere. I was hoping someone here might have the right number before I pay 10 times to much for it at the dealer. Thanks

We know you want the rear seal for the NV5600, but your signature does show which transmission you have, nor does it show whether your truck is 2WD or 4WD.

I bought a rear seal from Napa (CR 19211) for my 4WD truck, NV5600 rear seal.

- John

16 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

We know you want the rear seal for the NV5600, but your signature does show which transmission you have, nor does it show whether your truck is 2WD or 4WD.

I bought a rear seal from Napa (CR 19211) for my 4WD truck, NV5600 rear seal.

- John

Yeah both of those trucks are gone, I hadnt figured out how to delete the old and put in the new.
Its a 2002 3500 straight axle 2wd cab and chassis, nv5600.

Edited by jlwelding

• Owner
14 hours ago, Stanley said:

Call C&M Gear Works. Their here close to me in Springfield, MO. I bought all my t-case and nv5600 parts/seals from them when I rebuilt both. They will have whatever you need - in your case a rear seal. Great guys, super knowledgeable and great prices!

https://cmgearworks.com/

That would be agood one for the vendor directory here on the website.

8 hours ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

Haven't used them yet but Allstate Gear has loads of parts for almost anything that was available in a truck.

https://www.allstategear.com/NV5600-Transmission-Parts-s/1516.htm

I'll never do business with these people ever again. I installed a 4500 from them that would not shift with out forcing it. I called and they sent me shifting forks expecting me to install them. I had no choice but to do it because that truck was my only welding truck so I was screwed. 11 months to the day I dumped the gear oil and it was full of metal, you can guess what happened after that.

• Sad 2

• Owner

Personally I think the big reason why 6 speed fail too easy it the fluid is too thin for heavy duty service. PennzOil Synromesh oil is so thin it can't make the GL-4 rating completely. 

I can say without a doubt you can Use 50 SAE Trans fluid so far in NV4500 and G56 with no problem. Yup, I got a customer that opted away from ATF+4 for this exact reason in his G56 since he is a heavy tow vehicle. I can say is that 50 SAE trans fluid worked very well in a G56. 

Lots of theories.. dont know the validity of them..

One is shift quality, one is fluid continuity across models.

The nv4500 is actually the outlier with its own fluid. The nv3500s in the 1500s ran synchromesh oil. Nv4500s had carbon fiber lined synchros instead of the standard brass, needing the different fluid. 

I agree with @Mopar1973Man in that the synchromesh is not the best fluid for the application (in my opinion). Its not an extreme pressure rated fluid and with the torque of these engines, especially turned up, its not enough cushion on the parts.

I realize that @Mopar1973Man had no issues in winter with the sae 50, but i tried nv4500 fluid in my truck and it started grinding the 2-3 shift slightly. I dont know how a fluid even thicker would fare in an nv5600. I think i had found an sae 30 or 40 from mobil1 that was close in viscosity, never bought it though.

The other thing is that one of the bearings in the back of the tranny is known for going bad at the factory fill so people add a quart over to flood the bearing. Ill probably be switch to an sae 50 this year for the pulling season though.. 

Edited by Silverwolf2691

• Owner

I'm using Valvoline 50 SAE now with zero issue even at -20°F. Now the G56 I did for client that was the Mobil 50 SAE. I was very shocked. Extremely smooth shifts and easy. 

Be aware all fluids I've quoted are all SYNTHETIC. You don't need big name brands to do the same job. I only pay about 14 a quart.quarter. 54 dollars for a gallon.

• Owner

Hey stock NV4500 fluid from the dealer was 26 to 30 a quart for the Dodge dealer making it $104 to $120 on the OE factory fluid for 1 gallon. Now I'm saving money using better fluid without the big name price. 5 gallons of OE fluid is $520 to $600.

Just look up AMSOil 50 SAE it $62 a gallon which is $310 for a 5 gallon bucket of trans fluid. Then checked AMSOil 75w-90 is $387 a 5 gallon bucket. 

Valvoline 50 SAE is $285 a 5 gallon bucket. This is 25 dollar saving without mail order. The local NAPA has this in stock and can be delivered to my door for FREE. More savings no freight.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Sad 1

On 3/10/2022 at 6:56 PM, jlwelding said:

Yeah both of those trucks are gone, I hadnt figured out how to delete the old and put in the new.

On desktop, go to your profile in the upper right, click, go to account settings, click, then go to signature.

On mobile, tap the three bars in the upper right, then tap on account settings. There's a drop down called settings area, tap that, then tap signature.

Edit: I didn't look close enough to see that you changed it already. Time change has me all messed up.

Edited by Silverwolf2691
  • Thanks 2

Ok Im on my third trans seal, can someone mic the yoke coming out of the transmission on your 2wd truck so I have something to go by? My yoke measures 2.203, I just had the driveshaft rebuilt and balanced, they also cleaned up the yoke where it had seal wear. I dont know if trans has slack in tailshaft bearing or if they took to much off the yoke. When I push up on it I cant tell if the slack Im seeing is the splines in the out put shaft and the yoke or if its really to much slack. Thanks