• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rear Trans Seal NV5600

• Owner

I had a customer that wanted me to change his clutch but when I pulled the transfer case the gap between was fully of ATF and trans gear lube. Previous installer silicone the mating faces and plugged the drain hole. I changed both transfer case and transmission seal to have it leak again. Transmission had a bad bearing.

• Owner
2 hours ago, jlwelding said:

God Im tired of shelling out the money on this pig. 16k in mods in a year. Thats what I was afraid I was going to hear. Thanks

Well... I could hop on a plane and rip that transmission out in about 2 hours and maybe get the bearing redone in a short order and stab it back in the next day. Sad part is that no matter how you look at it it does cost. :rolleyes:

• Staff

The truth of the matter is, it's a 20 year old truck. The engines will run a very very long time when properly maintained. The rest of the truck the same holds true but, the trans, axles and so on just don't last quite as long as the cummins will. All these parts are trying to hold up to the torque the cummins runs through them. 

Yes, it can get expensive sometimes depending on the issue. The trick is to fix it right the first time or find a good rebuilder to do it for you. Some rebuilders have seen it all and know what to do, some just tear it down, slap the required rebuild parts in and send it out. Not to mention it's getting harder to find mechanics that take pride in their work and really know what they're doing.

I would agree with @Mopar1973Man and think the bearing is probably bad and causing a wobble of sorts that is eating away at the seal.

Good luck and keep us posted.

( sorry for the long winded reply, coffee is kicking in )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah the trans and eng are the only thing left stock, I was hoping to get another 6 months out of it, but. The rear end is tight, I also did wheel bearings all the way around, rebuilt driveshaft and had balanced. She does have 275 on the clock. You might remember the driveline whine on the other post, I think I found it.
The frontend is completely rebuilt including steering box, ball joints.

16 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Well... I could hop on a plane and rip that transmission out in about 2 hours and maybe get the bearing redone in a short order and stab it back in the next day. Sad part is that no matter how you look at it it does cost. :rolleyes:

I could do that and save money. I have no experience inside trans and from what Im finding 2-3 weeks out before anyone can get to it, thats with me pulling it out.  

• Owner
16 minutes ago, jlwelding said:

I could do that and save money. I have no experience inside trans and from what Im finding 2-3 weeks out before anyone can get to it, thats with me pulling it out.  

Sorry to say I don't have the experience inside a transmission either being I never got the time to go up and do the training in Washington for rebuilding. The other problem I don't have the tools for pulling the bearings off the shaft either. I could easily pull the transmission and have it on the floor in about 2 hours. Just a matter of finding a shop willing to change the bearing in a timely manner and then about 3 hours to put it back in. That's barring there is no issues, bolts stripped, etc. 

Yeah, Im stuck paying the 4k plus to exchange a trans I know for a trans I dont know just like the other truck. :doh: It sounded good for a little while. We could have done some videos also, the entire left side of the eng is coming apart to stop leaks and do the WT mod. 

• Owner
15 minutes ago, jlwelding said:

We could have done some videos also, the entire left side of the eng is coming apart to stop leaks and do the WT mod. 

That's just a day job there for doing the tappet cover. I can pull the VP44, the fuel filter, and ECM and replace the tappet gasket easy. W-T ground wire mod is about 1 to 2 hours to do... I've done several while I was hauling @MoparMom back and forth to Ontario, OR. With 4.5 hour wait might as well be productive right?

• Thanks 1

Just had Inland Truck replace ujoints and balance drive shaft, I would hope they would have caught that. Trans has 275K It needs looking at Im sure.
Its not leaking something is knocking the seal out of the case, I also have a driveline whine I think it all has something to do with it.

• Owner

All I can say I really hate Spicer U-joints being the trunnion center is beefy and requires torch to cut them out, being you can push far enough to get the caps out. Then ive got less than 2k miles and the rear most u-joint is already failing. I'm going to change out for NAPA greasable u-joint ditch these sealed Spicers at least I can keep a greasable for quite a long time. Yes I spent 630 dollar for a shop to rebuild my driveshaft, spun balanced, new Spicer u joints and carrier bearing. I'll never use sealed u-joints.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Just had Inland Truck replace ujoints and balance drive shaft, they are not grease able I know that. I didnt think to request greaseable joints. Funny how the price was just about the same, 670.00. 

Dropped trans off with SuperStick Transmissions yesterday, he said it would be out sometime middle next week I'll let you know how that goes. I just hope its nothing compared to the nightmare I had with Powertrain.

• Like 2