• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

This getting Old Thing...

JAG1

• Staff

What's happening is the thing about my nose swelling up inside whenever I try sleeping. It's like having a suffocating experience always waking up. Most nights I end up with a mouth so dry. Is this a common problem on older folks, anyone?

I  got a minor surgery done called Turbinate reduction up inside my nose. It's like a miniature Lipo suction they do to the area that swells and closes off. This did nothing and has caused another problem. I am getting to where I do not trust some of the procedures as I had another issue with another Doctor who sent me to an expensive CT scan when a simple ultra sound would have saved me around 1200 bucks.

Are there any other natural remedies out there for this? I use a liquid chemical decongestant once in awhile it's like heaven while sleeping but, in the long run it does some very bad things. Thank you ever so much in advance, fellow diesel friends.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff
7 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

@JAG1, do you have consistent sinus issues? My sinuses get me sometimes and I have a similar result. I wake up with a very dry mouth. 

Yes I do! I dread going to sleep at night. Some nights okay but, most are bad. I do nasal washes and have a room air filter. What helps is to have coffee if a real bad spell and stay up reading or go into the shop till they open. The coffee seems to help.

I'am pretty sure that they did the reduction too far back without studying where the trouble is. It's too bad  because it's cause other problems. I was better off before without a constant feeling of having been bopped in the nose all the time. Many people I talk with are saying the medical system is not so great anymore.I really feel like never going to another doctor ever again. Just like when you find out, even though you are a novice, finding that your own work is far better than even recommended shops that caused so much trouble on your truck.

Thanks for asking.

Edited by JAG1

Same here, I snore like a freight train so Im told. lol I carry a water bottle to bed and it seems to help my sinuses too. Dr says to get a humidifier. I use Afrin once each nostril if I just cant stand it any longer. But only use every 3 days or so. I bale hay in the summer and fall and flonase helps. And sleep in my chair at times too. When I read this I sound like a mess.:lmao:

• Staff

@jlwelding, I hear ya', it's the price we pay for being human. Sometimes I'm ready to slide breathing tubes to hold the gates open. It's just impossible at times. One night they stayed open so nicely it was amazing breathing was oh so easy. I had forgotten what it was like. I am ready to grind up mint leaves and inhale that if it would work.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff
8 hours ago, Max Tune said:

Probably a stupid question,  but have you tried allergy medicine like Claritin? Don't know exactly what you're suffering from, but allergy medicine really opens up my sinuses when needed.

You know, that's a good question and thank you because I have never tried it. Any long term use effects that you know of?

7 hours ago, JAG1 said:

You know, that's a good question and thank you because I have never tried it. Any long term use effects that you know of?

None that I know of. It's sold over the counter. I get the generic brand from Dollar General or Family Dollar. This is the one I'm using when needed right now.

20230209_090203.jpg.477540b5884aa306be0e44a8653362ee.jpg

There is another allergy medicine like this with the active ingredient citradine? or something like that. I go back and forth between the two so my body doesn't get used to one or the other. They take about 30 minutes to kick in for me. I'm not one to take much of anything, but I won't be without these. I truly hope it helps.

*another thought. Have you tried those breathe right strips that go on the outside of your nose and hold the passages open?

Edited by Max Tune
  • Like 1