• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Why I "tinker" with my truck

• Staff

I'm asked frequently why I consistently "tinker" with my truck even though it's running good, no maintenance issues to address usually,  just want to flip the hood and stare in amazement sometimes. 

But, this time I spotted something while I was installing a BHAF this morning.

20230226_093721.jpg.af50b88ec53d95661b41589a23560b0f.jpg

The lower exhaust manifold bolt on the rear cylinder was backing out!

20230226_093721_resized.jpg

I grabbed the tools and tightened her up and checked the rest. The upper bolt on the rear cylinder was about half a turn loose as well. All the others were fine.

Glad I caught that!

• Like 2

Everyone diagnoses things differently.  You probably just tightened the bolts and figure all is well. 

I try to go directly to the root of the problem.  I would have set up a security camera system to find out who was trying to steal my exhaust manifold.

Good job spotting that loose bolt!

- John

• Haha 2

• Staff
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Typically I would roll the truck in the shop during an oil change and lay on the creeper and roll from the front to the back looking at everything inspecting for leaks, loose bolts, damage, etc. 

Typically that is what I do also. I like to just check things over at least a few times a year 

3 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

I'm asked frequently why I consistently "tinker" with my truck even though it's running good, no maintenance issues to address usually,  just want to flip the hood and stare in amazement sometimes. 

But, this time I spotted something while I was installing a BHAF this morning.

20230226_093721.jpg.af50b88ec53d95661b41589a23560b0f.jpg

The lower exhaust manifold bolt on the rear cylinder was backing out!

20230226_093721_resized.jpg

I grabbed the tools and tightened her up and checked the rest. The upper bolt on the rear cylinder was about half a turn loose as well. All the others were fine.

Glad I caught that!

Nice catch. I do this on all my vehicles.  I'm always just looking at things on my truck. Touching and wiggling stuff. About once a month in summer I pop the intake off the turbo and check what I can. I've headed off breakdowns on all my vehicles more than I can count by finding a problem before it happens. 

Yeah...me too, I was under the passenger side the other day and I found a spot of dirt so I freaked out, ran to get some Q-tips and a tooth brush to fix it!

Boy, am I glad I found that, I would have been mortified if someone had seen that...I was just lucky to have found it before anything had gone wrong!subright.jpg.e6d6a3c42237bfe2c01c1465e904846d.jpg

• Haha 4