• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Website is going to get busy again.

Mopar1973Man

• Owner

There is a lot going to start happening again here. 

I know without a doubt I've got to change servers and get on to a server with up-to-date technology again being I've worn another server out to the point it can't be upgraded to current versions. This poses a problem with the new operating system I'm moving to I've never worked with before. Great something all new and different to learn about. Then the new server will have AlmaLinux compared to CentOS 7 Linux. Then Almalinux doesn't have WHM/cPanel server interface which Almalinux will move over to InterWorx for a control panel. This is going to take me some time to do. Yeah, I've got to move very soon being the software is warning that no longer updating software and that time is running out. I'm going to most likely have some ups and down days with the changeover and configuring and relearning a whole new system. 

Then I found out that Invision Power Board which is my software provider is ditching 3rd party marketplace and no longer going to host 3rd party software under their roof at Invision Power Board. I now have to figure out how to handle all the 3rd party software I've got on the website right now.

Then I've got articles to build and winter time coming. First I've got to say I'm closing down on my jobs I've got a few loose ends left to handle but no biggy. I'm also working on getting my winter's wood brought in. As soon as I've got these few things done I'm planning on being anchored to this keyboard here at home.  

I've got 4th Gen articles to build I've got a few articles to build for 3rd Gen trucks. I've got new vendors and shops to add to my list here. I've got a lot to do this winter. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Owner

I've been busy hauling. Got my first 1.5 cords in full 12 foot lengths. Still got to get more.

20230922_141450.jpg

Beast was out hard at work getting firewood. You see Mark my renter here in the picture. No

I didn't forget you guys. I've been organizing things so very soon I can get server work done and things dealt with. Been making phone calls and prepping for the stuff that needs to be handled for the server. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

Might look quiet on this end. But...

I've been doing my research for the new server that will be running the Mopar1973Man.Com website. First off the current operating system I'm running is CentOS and will be moving over to AlmaLinux. Now I'm currently loading up a virtualbox of AlmaLinux to get a feel for what I'm getting into. Just the little bit of reading I've done so far AlmaLinux is a better operating system than CentOS. Performance is unknown but the reviews I'm seeing most are moving in that direction. 

Newer releases of cPanel & WHM are not compatible with your operating system. Upgrade your OS, or use the Update Preferences screen to select a Long-Term Support release for use with your OS. cPanel & WHM 11.114.0.7 supports AlmaLinux 8/9, CloudLinux® 8, Rocky Linux™ 8/9, Ubuntu 20 only. Please see our OS End of Life policy for more information.

The next problem is the web server interface I'm used to using cPanel and WHM. I've been using this for years now throw that all out and now move over to Interworx. Now as for information, I did find a full user manual for Interworx but I've got my reservations on it as of yet. Most say it's a better environment but again it's all a learning curve at this point. 

image.png

What is so tough about all this? I'm right now have excellent server response performance which keeps us at the top with Google searches. My problem is when I make the swap how much of my tuning work goes out the window? How much slower will the site become? How hard is it to tune the software and bring it back to the same level or better? Unknown at this point. 

I've already contacted the hosting company and had a rather long discussion about the move and so far I can say it shouldn't take too long but could run into snags or issues. The tech advised me it could be up to 5 days worst case to make the swap. The hosting company is willing to move everything for me and convert from cPanel / CentOS to the new Interworx / AlmaLinux. Even after clean up of unneeded files I'm at 56 GB of data on our current server. Yup, there is that much stored on this server.

I'm also going to get a full backup copy of the site here shortly and burn it to dual-layer DVDs which are 8.6 GB a piece. At least if there are any EMPs then I don't have to worry about losing my data. I've even got a remote backup server that is in a totally different location from the server states away. Yeah I've been busy!

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Ok. So I went out to VirtualBox and AlmaLinux and downloaded and installed VirtualBox then within VirtualBox installed AlmaLinux so I could test drive the Linux. Again I'm still running Ubuntu Linux as a base.

16974714901156945367097620245272.jpg

After a quick install and playing with AlmaLinux, it is from the ReHat family. This is good and should not pose any issues in running the website software. Screencast above is terminal and I called out LiSt -Long Human readable. That is what the ls -lh means.

If you look my Ubuntu 22.04 menu is on the far left side. AlmaLinux 9.2 running in the window.

Operating System - Checked and good to go.

There is another reason I did this test run. Being I've still got @MoparMom computer here I'm going to make use of this machine and AlmaLinux and set up a home network and server using her machine with AlmaLinux. This way all my security camera footage will be saved on its own drive and then this machine takes the network load of the house releasing my machine for work and not wasting my CPU power on the network tasks.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Dang... The Thumb Drive I've got is barely 8.1 GB empty and AlmaLinux 9 is just too big to fit. It's 9.2 GB for the ISO file. I tried the minimal version which has all the graphical parts totally stripped out. Welp. I'm going to head back to my tried and true Ubuntu 22.04.3 load that up on that machine and get rolling. Either way, I'll be still good here. I wanted it for a learning experience and a bench to work on the website. I'm currently creating the boot USB stick so I can get this machine up and running. Ubuntu is much smaller at 4.3 GB which will fit on this thumb drive. 

• Owner

Update for tonight. I started building up my server machine. Got my security cameras all swapped over to the new home server. Then during my Ubuntu 22.04.3 install I opted for partitioning the drive up. I've got 2 TB in that machine.

Root - 20 GB

Home - 250 GB

Camera - 820 GB

Website Backup - 820 GB

Why? So when I'm in process of doing the server swap I'm going to have a full copy of the server before and after. Then thinking ahead if EMP happen to be used in the future I'll have another copy here. Then I'll burn all the website data into DVDs which are not magnetic but optical so for a good copy will be saved.

I'm planning on the home server to capture a weekly backup here at home. No matter what I'm doing everything in my powers to be double sure nothing is lost. 

I'm done for the night.

• Owner

Alright... Finally, I got the server here finished. I now offloaded all this background stuff to MoparMom's old computer. Uninstalled the network software and all the camera footage moved to the new Server here at home. 

Now we are going to be looking into doing the server swap very very soon. I'm looking at maybe sometime this next week if things go right. Personally me right now I'm kind of struggling with my lower back and my hips from chasing firewood. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

I've got a lot done. Flooring is complete in the living room. I've got my computers back up. Both Michael and Server up and running. 

16982833010684860876700984154420.jpg

Now with the network built but not quite finished. This allows me to run the server for doing my backups of the website back home which I'm going to make sure everything is backed up here just in case. Being my other thread I've purchased the new server with the hosting company.

16982832538145921193589904442339.jpg

Here you see my 28 port managed network switch and the little box is my gateway / router. 

I'm getting everything ready for the big move.

• Owner
14 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

So this new server... is she a looker and can she cook? That's the question.

Well maybe, and nope.

AlmaLinux 9

8 GB of RAM

160 GB Hard Drive

8 CPUs Intel

Interworx Control Panel

Cooking skills are rather poor but she is a great server. (Think restraunt server.) :lmao::lmao2:

• Haha 1